I was attempting to make my first couple of nuts for my guitar and bass. After buying all of the supplies (some from Stewmac), I decided to order some blanks while I was at it. After about a month of gathering supplies, I decide to finally go for it. I score the finish, remove the old nut, get rid of the glue in the nut slot, and pop out my nut blanks. I bought 3 just in case I messed up, so I choose one and pop it in.

It goes in, way too easily. I look and realize there's a little gap where I can literally shift the nut back and forth. The nuts I bought were 3/16 of an inch thick and I assumed my Schecter C-1 Classic's nut slot was that as well (I didn't measure). Now I realize that my nut slot is actually a 1/4" so I'm not sure what to do.

Is it possible to just go forth and glue the nut in just wing it?
Should I buy the correct size?
Do you think it's possible for me to exchange nuts from StewMac so this doesn't go down the drain (I'm dirt poor right now so a $12 waste really hurts)?
I don't need a sig....
hmm i guess you may be able to glue it... won't look well on C-1 however

however i believe if you contact them asap telling them that you were a noob and didnt know the sizes differ they will be glad to help you, change the nuts, win your trust

that said about the money waste... how much i understand you man...

im broke....
Yes you can return the nut blanks and order the correct ones. They have good return policy and in no time you should have the ones you need. I hope you purchased the nut spacing ruler and 0.010' Saw too, it really helps get the nut slots started.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
Yes you can return the nut blanks and order the correct ones. They have good return policy and in no time you should have the ones you need. I hope you purchased the nut spacing ruler and 0.010' Saw too, it really helps get the nut slots started.

Yes, I actually went out and bought everything I needed which put me back over $200 (I even had to buy screwdrivers and hex keys). I figure if I buy quality items, it'll last me a while and maybe I'll be able to make some money back on the side doing this (I'm planning to do this often).

I hope they let me return it or something. I already sent out an email, but I didn't mention I was a n00b, I just said I ordered the wrong size by accident. I hope they don't hold it against me.

Thanks.
I don't need a sig....
you're probably going to get charged shipping.

which for stew mac, is almost as much as the part itself.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^^ Unfortunately, Jenny's right, you'll have to pay to return your stuff which could be cheaper than SMs charge because it needs to get back to them but necessarily the same way you got it. When the ship your new nut blanks to you, you'll have to pay yet again so I'd ask myself whether or not you A) need to return them for a refund of $12 before shipping costs are deduceted and B) whether or not you can buy good nut blanks at a local store to avoid paying shipping for a couple of new nut blanks.

Other than that ggod luck with your nut making.... It took me three blanks to get a real pro one. Just be careful near the end when finnalizing the slot depths, one or two passes too many with the file and you've "blown" the nut and have to start again.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at May 22, 2010,