Hey, sorry if this is the wrong section (if it is, move it?) but I'm looking for some speakers for two 1x12s that I am making. I'm not looking to spend more than $100 per speaker. I'm also looking for a bridge-position humbucker, preferably under $100 (but I'm more flexible here)

The genres that I play range from jazz to melodic death metal. And pretty much everything in between.

The sound that I'm looking for (out of the speakers) is one that can be warm and full sounding clean, with maybe a little bit of sparkle - mostly for jazz and ska. For unclean, I'm looking for something that'll handle Amon Amarth/Children of Bodom/Nightwish stuff, and also let me tame it down for classic rock tones (if possible).

For the pickup... I'm just looking for something that sounds full and powerful, without getting an active pickup. Nothing against actives; I just don't like the idea of having to change batteries. This pickup will be almost strictly for metal (I already have a nice "clean" pickup in the neck).

As for my setup, I have a heavily modified no-name (but not bad) H-S-H alder body, maple neck guitar with a Floyd Rose. I run it through a B-52 AT-100. The only pedals I use are a wah, and a cheapass OD that I only use as a boost.

I've been looking very hard at Eminence speakers; mainly the Texas Heat and Governor ones.
For pickups, I'm completely lost. I looked at some DiMarzios and Seymour Duncans, but I've heard from multiple tone nuts that the "popular" pickups just aren't that good.

I don't have any GOOD music stores nearby, so I can't really try much of anything out.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for making such a long post (that wasn't my intention - I don't really like posting on forums TBH).

EDIT: and the reason I want 2 1x12s is simply because OCD makes me want to have both of my amp's speaker outputs filled at all times. It's a personal thing.
Last edited by J☺e at May 22, 2010,
Why not actives? I've had my battery in for 2 years and I haven't had to change.
99% of my posts will probably be entirely misinformed, malformed, malware infested, and... marmalade topped.

Oh, and your tongue is on fire.
Last edited by slashe50 at May 22, 2010,
Well, I play a Governor(212, with a black powder also), and I really like the sound. Quite middy (not muddy). It is a clone of the Celestion V30, but the Governor has a smoother sound. I play a lot of different music, like Amon Amarth and Led Zeppelin, and pretty much everything in between. And yes, the Governor handles them all, still sounding nice.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by J☺e
EDIT: and the reason I want 2 1x12s is simply because OCD makes me want to have both of my amp's speaker outputs filled at all times. It's a personal thing.

You can have a 1 2x12 cab with seperate inputs for each speaker, It's called a stereo cab.

For great speakers that, don't cost a fortune, checkout Warehouse Guitar Speakers.
http://www.warehousespeakers.com/
slashe50: Really? I've heard that in EMG's, a battery will last about 400 hours (although maybe my source was incorrect...?). Also, is the battery constantly being drained? Or only while playing? Even if one lasted for 400 hours of CONTINUOUS use, that would still put me in a position where I'd be changing batteries more often than strings It's not like I can't afford it, I just don't want to. If it lasted 2 years, that would be a huge improvement and make me more inclined to get actives, but wouldn't that still require new pots and everything? Sorry, I'm totally clueless about actives. I'd rather just stick with passives TBH.

AtaBorMan: Cool, sounds like the Gov is definitely on my to-look-at list. Thanks.

Brian: Hmm, that's new info about the stereo cab... Never thought of doing that. Would that be better than 2 1x12s? Also thanks for the info about WGS... Thinking about the V30s from there. Would a WGS Veteran 30 running in stereo with an Eminence Texas Heat (or, generally, any 2 different speakers) sound alright, or would the 2 different types of speakers clash?
Quote by J☺e
Brian: Hmm, that's new info about the stereo cab... Never thought of doing that. Would that be better than 2 1x12s? Also thanks for the info about WGS... Thinking about the V30s from there. Would a WGS Veteran 30 running in stereo with an Eminence Texas Heat (or, generally, any 2 different speakers) sound alright, or would the 2 different types of speakers clash?

Alot of people mix different speakers, so you can do that. Some speaker combonations don't mix as good as others. I've never used a Texas Heat so I have no clue how it sounds compared to a Veteran 30. It might sound good, but it might not.

WGS says: Possibly THE VERY BEST speaker combination we can recommend is the ET65 paired with a Veteran 30. Your cabinet will sound more full and colorful than you ever imagined.

So you may want to look into the ET65.
Quote by AcousticMirror
warpigs or nailbombs

+1. Not very inexpensive though