Uh I noticed there was a foam insert in the cavity of my Floyd Rose. Should it stay there, or does it limit pull-ups? Should I remove it?
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by 1959LesPaulVOS
does the pope shit in the woods?

No, but a bear does. But the question remains... does the Pope help pedophiles get out of trouble?

But anyway, thanks for the advice you guys. Wasnt sure if I needed the foam or not.
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
It's basically there to prevent you from damaging your bridge or maybe the paint in the cavity. Edit: To be clear, by 'the cavity' I mean the routing in the front where the back-end of the tremolo tilts into when you pull up.

I can also imagine it being to prevent an annoying thumping sound when you pull the bar up all the way.

Either way, just leave it there, it doesn't harm anything, and it won't help anything if you remove it.
Last edited by Y00p at May 22, 2010,
The foam isn't meant to protect the finish on the inside of cavity, that's ridiculous. You never see the finish on the inside and 9/10 times it's not even properly finished because there's no need to. If the foam was to protect the finish then why don't they cover the whole guitar in foam?

The foam's true purpose is to dampen the strings from vibrating when the tremolo is moved. On high output guitars (like my Razorback) the springs can vibrate enough to where the pickups can, well, pickup the sound as if they were strings. Anotherwords, the foam helps to kill unnecessary feedback
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Are we talking about the same thing? The foam I was referring to is nowhere near the springs or the tremolo in neutral position. It only comes into play when you pull up all the way, at which point it protects the paint from being scratched.

(note that in the pic I'm pushing the bar down severely)

Or maybe instead of preventing the paint from being scratched, it's just an alternative to painting the cavity, and a sensible one because it won't clank against the wood when you pull up all the way. It can't possibly affect the vibration of the tremolo. So unless you're talking about something else I think you're wrong.
Last edited by van01010100 at May 22, 2010,
Hmm... that's a good point van01010100. If it's there then the purpose is to stop the locking screws from coming into contact with the body under a sharp pull-up. However when the OP said...

Quote by Lovecannon
Uh I noticed there was a foam insert in the cavity of my Floyd Rose...

I interpret "cavity" being the giant cavity located in the back of the guitar, which people put foam, rubber bands, shrink tubing, etc. around the springs to keep them from causing feedback. This picture is a little ridiculous but you get the idea

Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
Hmm... that's a good point van01010100. If it's there then the purpose is to stop the locking screws from coming into contact with the body under a sharp pull-up. However when the OP said...

I interpret "cavity" being the giant cavity located in the back of the guitar, which people put foam, rubber bands, shrink tubing, etc. around the springs to keep them from causing feedback. This picture is a little ridiculous but you get the idea

An understandable error, I would've made the same if I hadn't noticed the foam in the front routing myself, the last time I had my bridge out.
Quote by 1959LesPaulVOS
does the pope shit in the woods?

Mixing some old sayings there.... I believe it's....

"Does a bear shit in the woods"
"Is the Pope Catholic"

& couple of my father's favourites which are untrue.......

"Do Snakes have armpits"
"Do Chickens have lips"
Moving on.....
my guess is that you mean the spring cavity, not the recessed part? the foam would be there to stop excess spring noise. i had a folded up paper towel in my RG570 to stop unwanted spring noise. worked just fine! if anything the foam would just make it look more professional than a 5 year old paper towel
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip