hey guys!
i recently bought a tube amp. they told me i cannot connect my head to cab with a regular instrument cable, i must use a speaker cable or whatever or it will tear it up. SO, since it is harmful to do that, is it bad to use a speaker cable to pluge my tuner into the dry out on my whammy pedal (running through fx loop on amp) or my tuner out on the back of my amp?

also, when i bought my amp they said i needed to turn on the stand by switch for at least thirty seconds before i played it. i was also not aware of this...so since i have to let it warm up on stand by, do i need to put it on stand by for a certain amount of time before i turn it off as well?

sorry if these are silly common knowledge questions, but ive only owned solid state my whole life so i didnt know.
thanks ya'll!
bi-ah!
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
I don't know why it would be bad to use a speaker cable to go to a tuner out, I also don't know why you would, unless you didn't have an instrument patch cable,,
also when powering off the amp let it sit in standby for a little while just as when you turn it on.
using a speaker cable shouldn't be a problem for running into your tuner. and yes, you should leave the amp on standby for like a minute before putting it on play. if not, your tubes won't last long
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
im out of instrument cables...and i have the speaker cable from my solid state amp that im using to run my tuner out XD and i had been leaving it on stand by before i turned it off, but i wasnt 100% sure
thanks for the help guys!
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
Quote by bi-ah!
hey guys!
i recently bought a tube amp. they told me i cannot connect my head to cab with a regular instrument cable, i must use a speaker cable or whatever or it will tear it up. SO, since it is harmful to do that, is it bad to use a speaker cable to pluge my tuner into the dry out on my whammy pedal (running through fx loop on amp) or my tuner out on the back of my amp?

also, when i bought my amp they said i needed to turn on the stand by switch for at least thirty seconds before i played it. i was also not aware of this...so since i have to let it warm up on stand by, do i need to put it on stand by for a certain amount of time before i turn it off as well?

sorry if these are silly common knowledge questions, but ive only owned solid state my whole life so i didnt know.
thanks ya'll!
bi-ah!

only downside to using a speaker cable for your instrument chain is susceptability to noise, but since it is used for a dead-end to your tuner, go for it. using an instrument cable for your speaker load can damage the output transformer though.
turning your amp on it is reccommended to have it on standby at least 30 seconds, but turning it off you do not need to do any waiting
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
wouldn't using an instrument cable to connect to a speaker burn before the output transformer burns?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^they would happen at the same time pretty much because when there isnt a speaker loud on the head, the output transformer goes
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
the scary part for the OT is when the output shorts i think... yes, if there isn't a speaker load, it can blow. but it doesn't happen in like 0.5 second. it takes a bit of time to blow out an OT without a speaker. since i've turned on my amp without my speaker once, for like 30 seconds. it still works, and it doesn't sound bad.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by boardsofcanada
only downside to using a speaker cable for your instrument chain is susceptability to noise, but since it is used for a dead-end to your tuner, go for it. using an instrument cable for your speaker load can damage the output transformer though.
turning your amp on it is reccommended to have it on standby at least 30 seconds, but turning it off you do not need to do any waiting

wait i dont need to turn it to standby to turn it off?
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Quote by *sigh*
When turning it off just reverse the order of how you turned it on, but you don't need to wait.

Flick standby, flick power.

You only need to wait when you turn it on so it can warm up
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
you should wait three seconds in standby when switching an amp off. or just hit the power switch and turn it right off. this will not damage your amp. your thinking why 3 seconds??? cause you'll hear a POP coming from the speaker if you do it too fast. no sure if this is bad for the amp but its not good for the speaker.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Quote by Steve Holt
When turning it off just reverse the order of how you turned it on, but you don't need to wait.

Flick standby, flick power.

You only need to wait when you turn it on so it can warm up

k
thanks man
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Quote by *sigh*
Wait, are you saying you want to run a speaker cable into a tuner and then into the cab? If that's what you're saying, do NOT do that.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by Ferrets!
Wait, are you saying you want to run a speaker cable into a tuner and then into the cab? If that's what you're saying, do NOT do that.

ive got it on the dry side of my whammy??
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Quote by *sigh*
This can be explained very simply and it has been covered pretty much.

A speaker cable can carry more current than an instrument cable. Turn up the amp when using an instrument cable - centre core of cable blows. This creates an open circuit which in turn blows the output of the amp - in milliseconds
An instrument cable is designed to eliminate as much noise as possible using electrostatic shielding. Using a speaker cable on a signal (especially a small signal like what comes from a guitar) will be noisier. You might get away with it fine on a tuner but it won't track as fast and could give errors at times if in an electrically noisy environment (like around amplifiers and lighting)
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by fullsailstudent
you should wait three seconds in standby when switching an amp off. or just hit the power switch and turn it right off. this will not damage your amp. your thinking why 3 seconds??? cause you'll hear a POP coming from the speaker if you do it too fast. no sure if this is bad for the amp but its not good for the speaker.

???? Never heard a pop in my life. Just flick off both switches at the same time. That's the way I've done it for 15+ years and dozens of tube amps. Never heard a pop or had a problem.
Quote by fullsailstudent

some amps have that pop, some dont
periphery/bulb!

gear:

Quote by AsOneIStand