Hello there,

My Guitar teacher is challenging me to write an entire song in 1 week. So far, I have no Ideas, I have been playing for 3 hours straight and whenever I try to write something, the melody sounds like the last song that I listened to or whatever is stuck in my head at the moment. How do you come up with originality? Im trying to write some really fast metal song to impress my guitar teacher and need help on songwriting for metalheads. Can you help me?
First of all:

Write a song that sounds good and isn't meant to impress someone...

Then, for a good song you have to come up with one tasty riff. Just play around and try something new. The rest isn't that hard anymore...
C4C?

Take a look at my profile!
Do not freak yourself out. What i personally do is just simply play, without the thought of songwriting. If something catches my ear, a riff or a weird structure or melody, i just try to develop it, experiment with it, and think what else would fit.
If your looking for originality, look outside of metal. For example, if I can't find a good riff in one key, I like to try and write one around a 12-bar blues. Or I'll stop trying to write a riff, and write a melody, and build a riff around that. Experiment with other styles and you'll find something good.
mix metal with other styles like funk or jazz, and remember a chorus is brighter then a verse
Quote by beatlesfreak311
If your looking for originality, look outside of metal. For example, if I can't find a good riff in one key, I like to try and write one around a 12-bar blues. Or I'll stop trying to write a riff, and write a melody, and build a riff around that. Experiment with other styles and you'll find something good.

lame dude... Are you really implying that there is no originality in Metal? How is your post helping him do WHAT HE WANTS. Did you not just read the post where he explicity asked the how to write an original song and wanted it to be fast metal? You tell him to experiment with other styles and he'll find something good. There are a hell of a lot of people that like metal. Who are you to imply its not good? HATER!!!
MY GEAR

Jackson Soloist w/ EMG-81 @ bridge and EMG PSA @ neck
Takamine EF341SC
Fender Squire bass

Peavey Vypyr 120 Head
Mesa Boogie slant 4x12

Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Metal Zone (for DI recording)
Shure SM57
Tascam US-122
Reaper
Cubase
The way I usually write songs is to start with a feeling. Then i just start fiddling around with notes and rhythms that express that feeling. Sometimes i get lucky and stumble upon a good riff so this part gets skipped. After i have a riff, I keep playing it and try to improve other parts around it. It also helps to identify if the riff is going to be a chorus, verse, interlude, intro etc... If your trying to write fast metal, its a good idea to start with a riff and work your way around that. Also, i would avoid playing a lot of covers if you want to be truly original. They have a way of seeping into your unconscious and coming out when you try to be creative. I like to try to jam and improv until something cool comes out.
MY GEAR

Jackson Soloist w/ EMG-81 @ bridge and EMG PSA @ neck
Takamine EF341SC
Fender Squire bass

Peavey Vypyr 120 Head
Mesa Boogie slant 4x12

Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Metal Zone (for DI recording)
Shure SM57
Tascam US-122
Reaper
Cubase
Quote by GuitardedMark
lame dude... Are you really implying that there is no originality in Metal? How is your post helping him do WHAT HE WANTS. Did you not just read the post where he explicity asked the how to write an original song and wanted it to be fast metal? You tell him to experiment with other styles and he'll find something good. There are a hell of a lot of people that like metal. Who are you to imply its not good? HATER!!!

Tell me this is sarcasm...PLEASE!!!

Anywho, I know it's hard cause you're under pressure, but I never think about writing, I just jam and if I hear myself do something really cool, a lick, a full riff, just a little snatch of tune, I'll take another look. Play it a few more times, record it on anything just to play back. Then you can decide whether you want to mess with it, add to it, or leave it and look for something to "attach."

~Zelig
Been Dazed and Confused...
I would just like to say, asking other people how to be original... its kind of a paradox :P

Also if the melody you play sounds like the last song you listened to, you could try mixing it up a little, shift it up a key, change the phrasing and play with the order of notes played. Take that melody you have in your head and arrange it into something new.
Listen to the Old school Metal bands like Maiden, Priest, Accept, WASP, Black Sabbath stuff like that is very inspirational guitar wise for me, but then again thats my main style of music anyway lol

but if your into modern metal you shouldnt try and keep your influences only in the new Metal or everything will sound like other bands.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Homemade 1x12 from a combo cab with an Eminence PJ
Quote by ikey_
perhaps i have a superb epiphone. the japanese man must have gotten laid and won the lottery right before he made my guitar. whatever.