I wanted to hear opinion of The Pit on this.

Some songwriters believe that good lyrics need to have a certain level of ambiguity to them, as straight-forward lyrics that don't require much interpretation are too banal and plain.

Others argue that due to the cathartic nature of songwriting, lyrics can and need to be personal, concrete and specific, in order to best convey a particular emotion.

Where do you stand on this? What kind of lyrics do you prefer, and why?
All opinions welcome.
Lyrics? Oh are those the things I'm not listening to, but rather the instrumental display of emotion.
Lyrics are a means of communication. Ambiguous lyrics are good for communicating abstract concepts. More direct lyrics communicate what the writer was thinking about at that moment more clearly. The degree of ambiguity is up to the lyricist and what he is trying to convey.
I prefer ambigious lyrics It leaves it completely open to interpretation, you may listen to the song while feeling one way and take it in context, and then the apparent meaning of the lyrics may 'change' with your mood. It takes a good songwriter to write listenable lyrics, but an amazing one is someone who can convey an image without 'writing abot it at all'
I do prefer ambiguous lyrics, but straight-forward lyrics are fine too. Coldplay, for example - simple-as-shit lyrics, but they're not bad.
MATTERHORN
Quote by Doctor Matthews
I do prefer ambiguous lyrics, but straight-forward lyrics are fine too. Coldplay, for example - simple-as-shit lyrics, but they're not bad.

I concur, not all of their lyrics are as straightforward as you say.

I think that lyrics should always have a deeper meaning behind it, I seriously hate the average "Oh-I-Love-You-do-You-love-me-too?" crap.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
I'm not really fussed either way. Sometimes I just want to listen to something without having to sit down and analyse what the guy/gal is trying to say. Same with music- sometimes I just want to listen to some four chord stuff, other times I'll be sated by nothing else but Dream Theater.
Quote by the bartender
I concur, not all of their lyrics are as straightforward as you say.

I think that lyrics should always have a deeper meaning behind it, I seriously hate the average "Oh-I-Love-You-do-You-love-me-too?" crap.

While I agree with your post, I was wondering what you would consider a "deeper meaning"?

It is true that a lot of love songs suggest that the author couldn't think of anything else to write about, but there have also been great songs written on the same topic.
I agree with the mood change ambiguity. Songs last longer in the mind if they effect many people at once, no matter what their problem.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
I think there can be a balance between blunt and cryptically-vague lyrics. It's generally what I like to do as a lyricist myself; I like to have it open to interpretation so listeners can derive their own personal meanings from the song. Plus, I don't like to focus so much on a particular event or happening as much as the emotions connotated. It's far more cathartic and enables me to move past frustrations if I do that, personally. And generally, every time I attempt to be blunt it sounds cheesy or overdone, and it never truly grasps the emotion I'm trying to relinquish. Personally, bluntness never really feels....honest to myself. Like, compare the lyrics of Deftones to those of Breaking Benjamin, or the lyrics of Chevelle to those of Three Days Grace. It seems less thoughtful, almost lazy, for BB or 3DG (this isn't railing on anyone who likes those bands, I enjoy BB or 3DG from time to time but that's one of my biggest complaints against them). However, I will say that sometimes, straightforward lyrics are inevitable, or necessary, and when I write I try to balance it so that I won't look at my writings later and have no clue where I was going. I like it when bands imply certain concepts, ideas, or emotions without directly stating them; they don't completely leave a listener in the dark, but still remain open to interpretation, and still retain a certain vibe, power, or emotion that drives the song.
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Quote by sashki
While I agree with your post, I was wondering what you would consider a "deeper meaning"?

It is true that a lot of love songs suggest that the author couldn't think of anything else to write about, but there have also been great songs written on the same topic.

It depends alot on the way it is written in my opinion.

example of lyrics without a deeper meaning:
Love, love me do.
You know I love you,
I'll always be true,
So please, love me do.
Whoa, love me do.

example of lyrics with a deeper meaning:
Sit with me a while
And let me listen to you talk about
your dreams and your obsessions
I'll be quiet and confessional
The violets explode inside me
when I meet your eyes
Then I'm spinning and I'm diving
Like a cloud of starlings

Darling is this love?

both pieces essentialy mean the same, but the way it is described differs hugely.

Well, take a look at this:

I will choke until I swallow...
Choke this infant here before me.
What is this but my reflection?
Who am I to judge and strike you down?

But you're
Pushing and shoving me.
You still love me and you pushit on me.

Rest your trigger on my finger,
bang my head upon the fault line.
Take care not to make me enter.
'cause if I do we both may disappear.

But you're pushing me,
Shoving me. Pushit on me.

Slipping back into the gap again.
I'm alive when you're touching me,
Alive when you're shoving me down.

But i'd trade it all
For just a little bit of
Piece of mind.

Put me somewhere I don't wanna be.
Seeing someplace I don't wanna see.
Never wanna see that place again.

Saw that gap again today
As you were begging me to stay.
Managed to push myself away,
And you, as well.

If, when I say I may fade like a sigh if I stay,
You minimize my movement anyway,
I must persuade you another way.

There's no love in fear.

Staring down the hole again.
Hands upon my back again.
Survival is my only friend.
Terrified of what may come.

Just remember I will always love you,
Even as I tear your ****ing throat away.
But it will end no other way.

And this

This is the story about a girl named Lucky.

Early morning
She wakes up
Knock, knock, knock on the door

It's time for makeup
Perfect smile
It's you they're all waiting for

Isn't she lovely
This Hollywood girl

And they say..
She's so Lucky
She's a star
But she cry cry cries in her lonely heart
Thinking, if there's nothing missing in my life
Then why do these tears come at night?

Lost in an image, in a dream
But there's no one there to wake her up
And the world is spinning and she keeps on winning
But tell me, what happens when it stops

Baby

Isn't she lovely?
This Hollywood girl

And they say..
She's so lucky
She's a star
Thinking, if there's nothign missing in my life

Isn't she lovely?
This Hollywood girl

She's soo lucky
But why does she cry?
If there is nothing missing in her life
Why do tears come at night?

And they say..
She's so lucky,
She's a star

She's so lucky.

The second song clearly destroys the first.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Quote by sashki

I think he meant that there are other ways to say it. I mean, alot of what I've written stemmed from a really turbulent and oppressive relationship I was in last year with my ex-girlfriend, and writing was my only outlet to siphon off my frustrations and pent-up anger. But I'm not the kind of person who writes "oh she's a bitch and I hate her but I can't leave her but she's suffocating me". In fact, looking at what I wrote, people could find it as being relatable to anyone, not necessarily a girlfriend, since I mainly wrote about the human/emotional issues behind it.
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
i like lyrics that leave things open to the imagination, but ambiguity isn't the only way to achieve that
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by EvilAngel93
I think he meant that there are other ways to say it. I mean, alot of what I've written stemmed from a really turbulent and oppressive relationship I was in last year with my ex-girlfriend, and writing was my only outlet to siphon off my frustrations and pent-up anger. But I'm not the kind of person who writes "oh she's a bitch and I hate her but I can't leave her but she's suffocating me". In fact, looking at what I wrote, people could find it as being relatable to anyone, not necessarily a girlfriend, since I mainly wrote about the human/emotional issues behind it.

Are you me ?

I personally like when a Song tells a story, but isn't overly too blunt about it. like Take the Money and Run~ Steve miller band

This here's a story about Billy Joe and Bobbie Sue
Two young lovers with nothin' better to do
Than sit around the house, get high, and watch the tube
And here is what happened when they decided to cut loose

They headed down to, ooh, old El Paso
That's where they ran into a great big hassle
Billy Joe shot a man while robbing his castle
Bobbie Sue took the money and run

Go on take the money and run

Billy Mack is a detective down in Texas
You know he knows just exactly what the facts is
He ain't gonna let those two escape justice
He makes his livin' off of the people's taxes

Bobbie Sue, whoa, whoa, she slipped away
Billy Joe caught up to her the very next day
They got the money, hey
You know they got away
They headed down south and they're still running today
Singin' go on take the money and run

But something more like Turn Soonest to the Sea ~ Protest the Hero

Do you remember how it was when you bled?
When you loved and burned in those flames that you've kept
Because Vesta's long been sleeping
And now you've come to accept that
Your anatomy defines more than a few of the gaping holes in our social fabric
And it defines more than a few one night stands,
more than a few prison bars melted into wedding bands

We've made you all the peasants and we've made ourselves the kings
Our queens are still subordinate as an angel (without wings)
We make it easy to belong which means it's easy to be wrong
"Put some plastic in your tits, and you'd look better as a blonde"

I remember when you were hopeful
And you never thought your life would be lived inside a coffin
With a moral sacrifice and a million social obligations, labels and expectations
You were young and modern seventeen in vogue and vague pursuit of a cosmopolitan dream

So when you bled on the bed as you fed those expectations as a ***** and not a human
You embraced with hesitation the very parameters of all you can be
Not a mother, not an aunt, not a sister who's not subdued
Because dignity's not physical and your flesh means more than you

Your flesh means more than you; your flesh means more than you
Your flesh means more than...
and I know....
Know we'll all wake up one day with a gun to the back of our brains
You'll be asking for your rib and I'll smile and I'll call you brave
Maybe someday when, when this bloody skull has dried I'll know our city is in ruins
And the greatest source of pride is a monument of dicks and ribs and gender crowns we wore
Where underneath, a plaque will read, a plaque will read, "No woman is a *****
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!