Is the action on my squier strat too high? And, if so, how could I fix it?

When I play it, I feel like the time it takes me to push it down slows me down.

Sorry if this a stupid question. I don't know much about guitar maintenance, though I've been playing for some time.
Last edited by infringement153 at May 22, 2010,
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Just Google 'how to set action on a stratocaster.'

Rather, take a look at the top of the forum for the sticky about guitar setup Q&A. It has the best guide to setting up any kind of bridge.

Good luck!
I broke my E-string.

<_<

The interesting thing is, I had already loosened it, AND I was moving the bridge in a direction that would loosen it...

Oh, ya, I forgot:

I don't have any spares.

To continue learning canon rock, I have to wait another week for my shipment to get to my house.

Anyways, I had the action right, I was adjusting the intonation. Honestly, the intonation was 2MHZ off (according to my tuner) from vibrato to fret on 12th fret, so should I have worried about it?
Last edited by infringement153 at May 22, 2010,

this adjusts action.

#2 adjusts intonation.
intonation is just tuning, and if left wrong, won't do anything except leave your guitar out of tune along the board.

get the guitar strung up as soon as you can.

and swap one string at a time. dont take all the strings off at once.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Sure, the shear thought of having a properly intonated guitar can make it feel better.

You should probably check for some burrs or sharp points on the saddles though, if that is where the string broke...
Quote by jj1565

this adjusts action.

#2 adjusts intonation.
intonation is just tuning, and if left wrong, won't do anything except leave your guitar out of tune along the board.

get the guitar strung up as soon as you can.

and swap one string at a time. dont take all the strings off at once.

Sorry if this is stupid, but how do I screw the thing that does the action?
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Yes, that's incredibly high. I wouldn't set my action that high even for slide guitar.

Are you serious? Everyone has their own preference but I wouldn't go lower than that unless I was trying to do some legato shredding or something. Definitely not "incredibly high". Here's mine:
that action looks pretty normal to me
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
Ok, after many hours, I have my guitar's strings adjusted to my taste, and have the intonation perfected to the quarter of a MOHZ.

Oh, and look, Saturday is over now. <_<

Quote by Darkdevil725
How do you play it with that high of action?

TS has balls, something which you seem to lack
that was just uncalled for...

That is about how high the action had to be on my old Yamaha EG - 112C just so I didnt get fret buzz all over the board. Sold that bish and got me a nice douglas guitar.
Quote by Darkdevil725
How do you play it with that high of action?

It's really not that high. I've seen scary high action - that isn't it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I dont dare to put a pic the action of my guitar -_- , I've tried lowering it and I gut fret buzz like there were a nest of bees living next to my AMP!...so I had to make it high again , Gosh I need a new guitar , and a new AMP...and...um...a new me ? lol
Quote by Wicked_demented
I dont dare to put a pic the action of my guitar -_- , I've tried lowering it and I gut fret buzz like there were a nest of bees living next to my AMP!...so I had to make it high again , Gosh I need a new guitar , and a new AMP...and...um...a new me ? lol

if you need help setting up your guitar, visit the set up thread.

you can get to it by clicking the green link in my sig.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
What's a MOHZ? are you sure you don't mean a cent? If your tuning is off by 1 MHz you've got huge problems... for reference, A4 is 440 Hz. 1 MHz = 1,000,000 Hz.
Quote by josephde
I've played a lot of Koreans that were just horrible.

An excellent example of unintended racism.