i'm looking at getting a Marshall amp head and cab soon and i was just wondering if anyone can help me with something.

On my budget i'll be getting the MG100HFX which is a 100 watt head but i'd want more than 100 watts total output, but what i'm thinking is does the cabinet have to be 100 watts or can it exceed that, such as buying 2 100 watt cabinets and putting them both through the 100 watt head.

Any help will be appreciated .

1) That amp is an oversized practice amp. And the practice amp-sized versions are terrible as well. I can't recommend enough looking around at more amps. I'll give you 500 bucks if you seriously prefer that over all your other choices in that price range.

2) 100 watts SS is louder than you think. Trust me, it's loud as fvck.

3) Yes you can plug more than one cab in, and they can be rated for higher wattages. Ohms should match the head though.

4) Adding speakers/cabs won't give you more wattage. Technically it won't give you more volume either, but it'll sound fuller.

EDIT: look man, you could use a 8776473672365033750 watt cab. You'll get the same volume as a 100 watt cab, because that's all the head is putting out. Imagine me pouring you water. I have 8oz to give. You need a cup that holds atleast 8oz. Preferably a little bit more so you won't spill. You can have an olympic pool, but you're still only getting 8oz, so it'd be stupid.
Last edited by josephde at May 22, 2010,
you can get a used peavey windsor 100w head cheaper than a new MG100HFX. for the cab I recommend a marshall 1960A 4x12. they are cheap but better than the crappy MG 4x12 cabs.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
Ah right ok. i'm quite new to amps as i've stuck with the 2 i have.

So for playing Gigs in places like pubs what would you recommend? Also how can you tell what makes an amp louder without initially trying it?
Ok well my question to you is first, do you need 100 watts or a full stack? are you playing in arenas? I say this because marshall mg's (of course this is subjective) sound like utter garbage. For the price of the mg new with 2 4x12's you could get an awesome tube combo that will sound MUCH better and actually be louder.

But my obligatory rant is over, the way it works is your cabinet just needs to be able to handle the wattage of the head. Cabinets dont add anymore volume, they just push more air which leads to better bass response/more open sound. You can buy 4 4x12's but at the end of the day you still only have 100 watts, and those are solid state watts at that, which are not very loud.
Originally Posted by StewieSwan
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

surely this is a troll?
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
you definitely will not need more wattage. rookie mistake. you won't even use all of the 100
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by Afroboy267
Ah right ok. i'm quite new to amps as i've stuck with the 2 i have.

So for playing Gigs in places like pubs what would you recommend? Also how can you tell what makes an amp louder without initially trying it?

Honestly a good 50 watt tube amp would be WELL more than you will need for pubs, but will have great clean headroom. The way volume works with amps is done by wattage, it varies between companies but obviously 50 watts is more than 100, but also tube watts are louder than solid state. SO a 50 watt tube head will be just as loud as a 100 watt solid state (and sound better at louder volume).

So give us a budget and styles of music your playing and well go from there

K?
schtick_bomb is actually a Tare. An evil race of aliens from the planet Nibiru who have come to fight the power of Jesus Christ.

the thing is though that people are going to be all noisy and stuff in a pub...
I'm thinking you'll want at least 2 100w heads. One on the left side of the stage and one on the right side of the stage. 3 would be better because then you could put on in the middle but I think that's outside of your price range.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by Afroboy267
No i'm not a troll, i just need some advice.

Your profile claims you already have a 100watt AVT- surely you'd realise that, a) by buying an MG you would be downgrading, and b) that 100 watts is enough for playing in pubs.
PEDALZ
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
Quote by AcousticMirror
the thing is though that people are going to be all noisy and stuff in a pub...
I'm thinking you'll want at least 2 100w heads. One on the left side of the stage and one on the right side of the stage. 3 would be better because then you could put on in the middle but I think that's outside of your price range.

Obligatory acousticmirror flame

Quote by schtick_bomb
Honestly a good 50 watt tube amp would be WELL more than you will need for pubs, but will have great clean headroom. The way volume works with amps is done by wattage, it varies between companies but obviously 50 watts is more than 100, but also tube watts are louder than solid state. SO a 50 watt tube head will be just as loud as a 100 watt solid state (and sound better at louder volume).

So give us a budget and styles of music your playing and well go from there

K?

Ok Thanks

My band play Metal such as Machine Head, Pantera, Metallica, Sepultura, Slayer, etc. My budget is anything upto about £500 or £600 i guess.
Quote by schtick_bomb
it varies between companies but obviously 50 watts is more than 100

sigged
I think you should buy one of these. and put the microphone in front your amp and put the speakers right on top of the bar.
Quote by Redstar5wp
Your profile claims you already have a 100watt AVT- surely you'd realise that, a) by buying an MG you would be downgrading, and b) that 100 watts is enough for playing in pubs.

Well it's old, needs replacing and isn't really loud enough at band practise, let alone at a gig and also i have no idea about which series is better than what.
Quote by Redstar5wp

This. If you tell us your budget, we can give you amp advice.
if 100 watts isn't loud enough for band practice you're doing something wrong.
PEDALZ
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
Quote by Redstar5wp
if 100 watts isn't loud enough for band practice you're doing something wrong.

or the laws of physics cease to apply when you step into their practice space lol
i don't think so, i've tried it in different places around the room, different settings, volumes, the lot. it just can't keep up with the volume of the drums and everyone else.
Quote by Afroboy267
Ok Thanks

My band play Metal such as Machine Head, Pantera, Metallica, Sepultura, Slayer, etc. My budget is anything upto about £500 or £600 i guess.

Ah ok

Well are cleans very important for you?

But anyways a few amps for you....

Marshall Kerry king signature
A used Marshall dsl 2000
A used Marshall jcm 800 combo
Peavey 5150/6505
Engl Screamer
Laney GH series
Laney VH series

And if you could find one a mesa boogie f-50 combo would be perfect for you

Last edited by schtick_bomb at May 22, 2010,
Quote by Afroboy267
i don't think so, i've tried it in different places around the room, different settings, volumes, the lot. it just can't keep up with the volume of the drums and everyone else.

Have you tried putting your amp on a chair? Your sound waves need to be higher then the drum sound waves. Especially since the bass drum is so big. It's just one huge wave.

Imagine like if your surfing right and there are all these little waves...but then a big wave comes and just eats them all.

edit: ya joe beat me to it. Something like that definitely.
Quote by josephde
sigged

not fair man, out of context

dude I use a 100wattAVT (unfortunately) at the rehearsal studios my band uses and I can't even get the volume halfway up without blowing all our ears off!
PEDALZ
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
Quote by AcousticMirror
Have you tried putting your amp on a chair? Your sound waves need to be higher then the drum sound waves. Especially since the bass drum is so big. It's just one huge wave.

No i haven't actually! i'll try that next time. i'll see if i can order one of those stands if the chair idea works well.
Quote by schtick_bomb
not fair man, out of context

hey, someone sigged me saying something along the lines of "there's some shitty koreans out there"

now THAT'S out of context.
Quote by Redstar5wp
dude I use a 100wattAVT (unfortunately) at the rehearsal studios my band uses and I can't even get the volume halfway up without blowing all our ears off!

Well i don't know then, maybe something to do with the fact that i bought it second hand.
Quote by josephde
hey, someone sigged me saying something along the lines of "there's some shitty koreans out there"

now THAT'S out of context.

oooooo you just wait