Hello all! I know these threads are a dime a dozen, but graduation is coming up soon and I plan to buy a new amp with the money I get and i need some advice.

I'm currently using a '62 Hot Rod Strat through a Blackheart Little Giant, which is a pretty decent little amp, but my tastes are changing. It has very little headroom and when it does break up, the distortion is kind of harsh and biting.

Basically I'm looking for a fender-esque amplifier that is around 20-30 watts that has good cleans and a smooth sounding overdrive.

I'm gonna head up to the guitar center closest to me this week probably, so if you all could please suggest some amps for me to test out there it would be greatly appreciated.

Budget is around 600 USD, but I'm flexible on that.
-thanks

(also, I'm a noob when it comes to gear so please excuse me if I say anything stupid )
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Quote by TheLetheProject
Willing to go used? The Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is right up your ally. If you want to get something new, though, the Epiphone Blues Custom 30 might work.

Yeah I'm all for going used. I'll be sure to try those out when I go. I've been looking at Egnater rebels too...any opinions on those?
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

If you dont need any heavey overdrive at all go with the bugera V55. but if you can stretch a little about 650 can buy a used Fender Deluxe Reverb and really doesn't get much better cleans that that.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000
Yeah I don't need any heavy overdrive really. I play a lot of Stevie Ray, Clapton and some John Mayer stuff. I hear bugeras have some quality issues...is that true?
Quote by musicjunkie207

Earlier when the company first started they had some problems with their high gain line of amps but the last year or so have had no problems. And not 1 problem has came of their Vintage series.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000
Alright, good deal then. I'll give them a try as well.
Quote by musicjunkie207

I'd suggest you go used, you'll get twice the amp for your money. You could probably pick up an actual Fender Twin Blackface (or blackfaced silver). Not much can go wrong with a valve amp that isn't easy and fun to fix. It's more amp than you wanted but those things sound good at all volumes and last forever.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 22, 2010,
Quote by Cathbard
I'd suggest you go used, you'll get twice the amp for your money. You could probably pick up an actual Fender Twin Blackface (or blackfaced silver). Not much can go wrong with a valve amp that isn't easy and fun to fix. It's more amp than you wanted but those things sound good at all volumes and last forever.

Yeah i definitely don't plan on buying anything new at GC. I'm just going up there to try stuff out really.
Quote by musicjunkie207

Why not a Blues Junior, or a Pro Junior?

You could probably find a SF transition-era Bassman (i.e. Blackface with Silverface aesthetics) for around that price.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??