Page 1 of 4
Thought it'd be interesting to see where everyone got their fuel to sing. Which vocalist(s) do you take alot of inspiration/influence/vocal characteristics from? Me personally, it's a mesh of four, and without them I probably wouldn't be singing still: Jesse Hasek from 10 Years, Pete Loeffler from Chevelle, Layne Staley from Alice in Chains, and Chino Moreno from Deftones.
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Dio is going to be everyone's answer
He's the best though

On a personal level though, I love Hank Williams, Waylon Jennings, and Chuck Billy from Testament
My You'll be the Baddest Dude in Revere!

My Gear:
-Fender Mexican Stratocaster
-Silvertone Paul Stanley Signature Acoustic
-Fender Princeton 65w
-DOD Death Metal
Benjamin Burnley from Breaking Benjamin... But i can't sing lol, although, i have definitely been trying to since I started listening to them.
Ian Gillan, Paul Rogers, Roger Daltrey.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I think it went Matt Bellamy -> Patrick Wolf -> Mike Patton -> Fyfe Dangerfield (Guillemots) -> Casey Crescenzo (The Dear Hunter) -> Dan Nigro (As Tall As Lions) in that order

which made my voice sound completely different every 3 months or so XD
i really like mark farner from grand funk railroad, stevie wonder, and eric clapton. i would say they are my 3 that i look to a lot. most people will say eric clapton isnt a good singer, but i think hes an amazing BLUES singer. im trying to find more baritone singers to look to though because stevie and mark are tenors.
Rody Walker, Tommy Rogers (mostly singing, pre-TGM material), Adam Gontier, Thomas Erak (though my style doesn't reflect his much anymore)

And if your curious to why I have Gontier on this list compared to the rest, I still listen to TDG, alot. All of the people in this list have influenced me from day one.

EDIT: Forgot Tyson Stevens from Scary Kids Scaring Kids, he influenced me quite a bit as well.
Last edited by Dregen at May 23, 2010,
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Mike pesomething (guy from kreator)
Dave Mustaine
Rob Harlfold

I love dave and mike for the snarl they got. Halfords obviously a god. Although in some recent videos he sounds pretty bad. I hope its just the quality of the recording doing that
My You'll be the Baddest Dude in Revere!

My Gear:
-Fender Mexican Stratocaster
-Silvertone Paul Stanley Signature Acoustic
-Fender Princeton 65w
-DOD Death Metal
Quote by The_Seventh_Sin
I love dave and mike for the snarl they got. Halfords obviously a god. Although in some recent videos he sounds pretty bad. I hope its just the quality of the recording doing that

Actually I think his first name is Mille, my bad.
MILLE PETROZZA
Yeah, he's one of my influences as well. Others are Chris Reifert, Tom Angelripper, John Tardy, Paul Speckmann, Jonny Hedlund and Chuck Schuldiner.
My Gear

Washburn WV40V
Vox VT30
Fender Squier Strat
Behringer UM 300 distortion pedal
Line 6 Spider IV 15
Quote by Chaingarden
The ones I draw most inspiration from are probably Jim Morrison, Chris Cornell, and Morrissey. There are plenty of other singers I love, but those are the ones that most directly influence my writing, melodies, and delivery.

Pretty much what I was going to say But I can never quite get that bassy tone that Morrisson gets, and I'm a Bass II in choir.

I used to be more influenced by Jeff Buckley but I've since almost abandoned my quest for high notes and now I'm concentrating on my lows
Quote by Declan87
Pretty much what I was going to say But I can never quite get that bassy tone that Morrisson gets, and I'm a Bass II in choir.

I used to be more influenced by Jeff Buckley but I've since almost abandoned my quest for high notes and now I'm concentrating on my lows

No reason not to do both.

The thing about the bassy tone is I have a quite deep speaking voice. It's definitely difficult to emulate the tone Morrison had without having big, thick vocal folds.
Josh Homme/Nick Oliveri
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Kai Hansen, Kelly Sundown Carpenter, Micheal Kiske, and Rob Halford.
My Gear

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser

Peavey 5150

Shure SM57

M-Audio Fast Track

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Processor (3.20 GHz)

Reaper
I have a lot really but my favorites are

Chino Moreno (The Deftones)
Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails)
Thom Yorke (Radiohead)
Kurt Cobain (Nirvana)
Jonas Renske (Katatonia)
Steven Wilson (The Porcupine Tree)
Burton C. Bell (Fear Factory)
Jared Leto (30 Seconds to Mars)
Sully Erna (Godsmack)
Robert Smith (The Cure)
Gavin Rossdale (Bush)
Kelli Ali (The Sneaker Pimps)
Brandon Boyd (Incubus)
Free Dominguez (Kidneythieves)
Marilyn Manson
Raymond Watts (KMFDM)
David Gahn (Depeche Mode)
Chad Gray (Mudvayne)
Corey Talylor (Stone Sour/Slipknot)
Dave Wyndorf (Monster Magnet)
Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters)
Josh Homme (QOTSA)
Quote by yearzero

Jared Leto (30 Seconds to Mars)

Say what you want about the band, but you gotta at least admit Leto has an AMAZING ****ing voice. love the high wails he does in place of the screams live.
Quote by Cheeseman07
Say what you want about the band, but you gotta at least admit Leto has an AMAZING ****ing voice. love the high wails he does in place of the screams live.

Ah, i forgot the stage in my life where I was Leto fanboy. I don't like most of their studio songs, but the acoustic versions are amazing.
I don't really like 30 seconds to mars, but their singer is actually realy goood.
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"
This is probably going to sound really strange for a girl, but Robert Plant, Trent Reznor and James Hetfield.
I would rather be flawed and wise, than perfect and blind.
Layne Staley, James Maynard Keenan, Aaron Lewis, Brandon Boyd, and last but not least Meatloaf! gotta love that fat mans pipes! haha
My Music
-Leave a rating, comment with link will C4C-
Quote by Swayver
Layne Staley, James Maynard Keenan, Aaron Lewis, Brandon Boyd,

Those are a few of my favourites, as well as Mikael Akerfeldt, Steven Wilson, Thom Yorke, David Gilmour, Jonas Renske, John Mayer, and of course MJ
Hansi Kursch (Blind Guardian)
Tim Owens (Judas Priest / Iced Earth)
Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)
Claudio Sanchez (Coheed & Cambria)
Tarja Turunen (Nightwish)

And of course, Dio.
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Used to from James Hetfield, Axl Rose, Brian Johnson and Joel O'Keefe, but i realized im gonna destroy my vocal cords if i keep doing that.
So now i try to kinda emulate
-Michael Poulsen(Volbeat)
-Glen Danzig(Danzig)
-Dio(Black Sabbath, Dio...) <-rest in peace!

of course i would love to be able to sing like Bruce Dickinson, or Claudio Sanchez, but i simply dont have the range or the power. Actually im not a good singer at all, but at least i try :P
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by Cheeseman07
I think it went Matt Bellamy -> Patrick Wolf -> Mike Patton -> Fyfe Dangerfield (Guillemots) -> Casey Crescenzo (The Dear Hunter) -> Dan Nigro (As Tall As Lions) in that order

which made my voice sound completely different every 3 months or so XD

this guy knows vocalists.

also.
jeff mangum. dallas green. elliott smith. kevin devine. rocky votolato.
Last edited by TonyRandall at May 27, 2010,
Quote by TonyRandall
this guy knows vocalists.

lol I'm surprised you even heard of any of them besides the obvious Patton and Bellamy.
**** yes, been listening to them non-stop for prob a year by now. my top band on last.fm and I'm tempted to say my favourite band of all time.
you know of anything remotely like them? I love all the "similar" bands like eotc, portugal, circa, atal, etc. but none of them actually sound anything like tdh. they've got this weird cabaret kinda sound which I've never heard a rock band do before.

also casey's voice just kicks ass.
Quote by Cheeseman07
**** yes, been listening to them non-stop for prob a year by now. my top band on last.fm and I'm tempted to say my favourite band of all time.
you know of anything remotely like them? I love all the "similar" bands like eotc, portugal, circa, atal, etc. but none of them actually sound anything like tdh. they've got this weird cabaret kinda sound which I've never heard a rock band do before.

also casey's voice just kicks ass.

O' Brother is kinda similar, i guess.
a little different, but i like them.

i saw The Dear Hunter with mewithoutYou and they reminded me a little of The Mars Volta.
they're so amazing.
Matt Bellamy's voice is almost operatic at times, which makes my spine shiver (in a good way).
Also, David Gilmour, especially in the Nile Song, with his rugged screaming voice.
Of course, Robert Plant, just because he's so versatile in all of his songs, and that variation makes it wonderful to listen to all of his songs.
Finally, just for the uniqueness of his voice (and you can't argue that it isn't unique) is Gordon Downie from the Tragically Hip.

Try to swim without getting wet - I dare you.
Nergal, Lord Worm, the guy from Protest the Hero and the guy from The Black Dahlia Murder.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Page 1 of 4