I have not taken lessons, and i have been playing for amost a year. My family cant afford lessons. I've kind of developed a bad habit or two. If these habits are too bad, don't tell me i have to start over, redo every riff i play over, starting slowly, (unless its like 110% nessesary) or that i have to give up. I am getting really frustrated.

Habit #1- Unwanted pull-offs. When i play generally any fret, and then fret something else on another string, that first fret turns into something of a silent, sloppy pull-off in the background as i play the other fret.

Habit #2- Random crap in the background. When i am playing generally any riff, excluding a riff on the high E string, as my fingers move about, i guess my finger rests lightly on the strings higher than the one i am playing on, and when they come off, it creates random noises in the background of my riff. This is kinda driving me insane.

there's more that i can't think of at the moment, but PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE help

You'll be the awesomest person ever if i can get a good answer.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Special
Peavy Vypyr amp

Been Playing Every day since July 30th, 2009.
No lessons, only the ones provided here at Ultimate Guitar.
To solve both of you're problems you have to lean to mute the strings you are not playing. It will be tough but eventually it will become second nature. Good luck.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
practicing finger strength, and dexterity will also help with control along with learning when to mute your strings as crazed shredder said
pie tastes good in milk.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Special
Peavy Vypyr amp

As Crazed Shredder said. I think Freepower made a vid about muting.

Also, when playing, don't get your fingers off the fretboard, as in don't just touch the guitar with the only finger you're fretting with.

Say you're playing the 5th fret in the third string and then the seventh fret in the 3rd string, don't remove your index finger, let it stay there MUTING the higher strings. That is, not pushing down on the strings, but just touching them, so even if you pick them they don't produce a note, they'd just produce a little percussive effect that doesn't interfere with your playing.

Also, when you remove a finger from the strings make sure to lift it instead of pulling off.

Quote by JakeIsInsane
pie tastes good in milk.

This too.
Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
You wither, and die. I am eternal, the pinnacle of evolution and existence. I am beyond your comprehension. I am Kurai.
LOLOLOL wrong thread
Gear:
Epiphone SG Special
Peavy Vypyr amp

Quote by Kurai X
As Crazed Shredder said. I think Freepower made a vid about muting.

Also, when playing, don't get your fingers off the fretboard, as in don't just touch the guitar with the only finger you're fretting with.

Say you're playing the 5th fret in the third string and then the seventh fret in the 3rd string, don't remove your index finger, let it stay there MUTING the higher strings. That is, not pushing down on the strings, but just touching them, so even if you pick them they don't produce a note, they'd just produce a little percussive effect that doesn't interfere with your playing.

Also, when you remove a finger from the strings make sure to lift it instead of pulling off.

Thanks for the decent answer, but that still leaves my question unanswered.
Let's say i'm playiing this riff.
E|-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|----------------------5h7p5----------------------------------------------|
D|-------7-5----7h8p7--------8p5h7----7-5----7h8p7---5h7h8p7-5/3-----------|
A|-------------------------------------------------8-----------------------|
D|---0-0--0--0-0-----0-0----------0-0--0--0-0------------------------------|

This isn't the only riff i have trouble with.
It's a fast riff.
FreePower's video only went on about the index finger. He didn't say if you need the index finger on another string. Like in this riff, I need the index finger, and i need it on other strings. While transfering the index finger to the next string, it creats some type of pull-off, regardless of the minimal amount of pressure i'm putting on it. and i need to mute the notes (which makes the "minimal amount of pressure") to make room for the palm muted open D's.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Special
Peavy Vypyr amp

Quote by JakeIsInsane
While transfering the index finger to the next string, it creats some type of pull-off

There's your problem. You need to think of it as relaxing the finger, not lifting off.
Go extremely slow. Relax the index finger, deaden the note, move your finger over, press down, etc.
Quote by tenfold
There's your problem. You need to think of it as relaxing the finger, not lifting off.
Go extremely slow. Relax the index finger, deaden the note, move your finger over, press down, etc.

This, dampen the note when removing the finger. And also, remember to mute the lower strings with your right hand aswell.
Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
You wither, and die. I am eternal, the pinnacle of evolution and existence. I am beyond your comprehension. I am Kurai.
this may sound boring, but practice deadening a note after playing it.
Just play something like 5th fret low E...play the note, then relax to where the note dies quickly. Do this on different strings/frets and with different fingers. You may even want to go VERY slowly...play the note and take your time lifting to hear and feel what is going on.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
When moving the index finger from D to G string, it should basically "slide" over the D string to land on the G, with the tip still touching the D - it won't come off the strings at all once you get the hang of it.