I've been using a mic to amplify my guitar. I can hear it very quietly when I have it fairly close. But once I put it where it should be, it starts getting very "bassy" and I don't like the sound. So is there any advice someone can give me? Just to make it sound a little better.
Thanks UG,
Randy
--Blink-182 is back--
R.I.P. James "The Rev" Sullivan
---> Llama's are cool.
Stay (Sic)

That's probably the problem them, I've been putting it around there. Thanks
--Blink-182 is back--
R.I.P. James "The Rev" Sullivan
---> Llama's are cool.
Stay (Sic)

A good place to put it is to have it over the 12th fret, usually takes away a bit of that boominess. Another good place to put it is above the guitar a bit, maybe about an inch or two above the guitar, and have the mic pointed downward, this is another method I've used in order to get a good, even tone out of a guitar.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
You either want to put it in front of the 12th fret, or around the bridge area. Never in front of the sound hole. Look at guitar mic placements on google they have a lot of information about it. Good luck to you
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”

Oscar Wilde
Did you try turning down your bass in your EQ? Then maybe bump your mids.

If you're using a dynamic mic like SM58, try taking off the ball grill.
Gear
Fender Hotrod Deville 2x12
Fender MIM Strat | Epi Dot 335
Fulltone '69 mkii | Boss OD-1
'95 RAT2 | '78 IC Big Muff | DL4
Last edited by ZeroChan at May 23, 2010,
It's called (bass) proximity effect. Some mics have a shelving HPF switch to reduce it.

I've ever understood sound and recording technicians' love affair with mics pointed at the fingerboard, seems to have become some sort of received wisdom. It mostly picks up the very squeak and noise the player has often struggled to keep under control.
You haven't stated your application, performance or recording.

edited for spelling, - twice
Last edited by R.Christie at May 23, 2010,