I hear this is a good way to prevent damaging your vocal cords, and that it helps you sing better. However I also hear this is a myth, and was invented by a failed opera singer turned into a vocal coach. Plus I have no idea what the hell this means, can some of you guys point me in the right direction?
Truthfully, it feels like you're taking a shit, but holding it in at the same time... And, yeah. If you sing from your throat, you're gonna wear yourself out or, possibly, physically hurt yourself. Trust me on the physically hurting yourself part. Singing from your diaphragm is basically pushing with the muscle you use to breathe to make an air stream and kind of 'placing' the the air stream to get your note. Its difficult to explain, but its really simple after awhile.
Singing from your diaphragm for better vocals is no myth. It is proven that if you allow more air into your body you're allowing a more powerful voice and a more controlled voice, because controlling air flow in singing is a must. I believe your diaphragm is under your ribs, if im not mistaken. Usually when we breath we take breaths in our lungs and our lungs can only hold so much air. However when you breath with your diaphragm your body can hold much more air. Google breathing from your diaphragm and they're a lot of exercises regarding this and will be one of the best things you have learned to improve your singing.
“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”

Oscar Wilde
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
I hear this is a good way to prevent damaging your vocal cords, and that it helps you sing better. However I also hear this is a myth, and was invented by a failed opera singer turned into a vocal coach. Plus I have no idea what the hell this means, can some of you guys point me in the right direction?

For our marching band show in the fall, we had to do some choral singing with the entire band involved....something like 300 people to create this choral, acapella-style harmony, and to get it to sound perfect, that's one of the things the directors told us to do: sing from the diaphragm. Pretty much, you're filling up all the air capacity in your body/lungs and allowing more air to pass over your vocal cords when you sing. Singing from your throat hurts, and you'll wear out your voice faster since you're centering all that force on your throat/larynx. Plus, you tend to project more when singing from deeper inside your body.
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser