I decided to buy a peavey valveking 212 combo amp from guitar center used for around $400. I had guitar center ship the amp from New Orleans to Cleveland, and when I first received it the amp worked fine on all channels, accept for the reverb which produced an insane amount of feedback when put up any higher than 1, so I figured I would just take the loss. within 3 days of having the amp, one of the 6L6's caught on fire and the amp was destroyed. I took it to guitar center to try and get it repaired, and they told me they don't do repairs so they would ship it back to where it came from and order me a new used amp. So I then wait about a week for them to ship the new amp in, and I told them to send it to the store just in case it decided to not work again. I get to guitar center about 2 weeks later to pick it up and the sales guy tells me to give it a try. I plug it in, it powers up, and catches fire... this time 2 6L6's blew... So they told me that they would just have to order an new one. This is making me lose my !@#$ing mind. I don't know if its the amp, ups, peavey, or guitar center that is trying to !@#$ me, but I need to know if this amp is worth or I should cut my losses now and move onto something else. I was considering picking up the 100W head instead, but I'm thinking valveking's are cursed... I love the sound, but I hate the quallity. My budget is about $400, and I don't want a SS amp. Is the half stack worth it, or am I in for more shit?
I hear the speakers are pretty muddy, though i dont know that from my own experience. So if you get the head, you might not want to use a valveking cab.

Edit: and i second the 6505+ idea. I just got the 112, and it's pretty awesome
Quote by boreamor
Thousands upon thousands of people yelling "IcyHot"...

Quote by imdeth
She looks like she has triforces in her eyes...

Quote by Nakon14
*sigh* yet again, only on UG would somebody rush to their computer to tell the pit when their lives or property are in dire trouble.
Last edited by naedman at May 22, 2010,
Meh Valvekings aren't for everyone...though I dig their tone and they're fairly reliable little amps. Ordering used off a website was your first mistake. What kind of music do you play? You can really work with 400...
I'd take that as an omen to get a better amp.

And dude please - paragraphs, don't be scared of them. That was hard to read.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at May 22, 2010,
I play mostly hardcore, experimental stuff, so my lead channel is what counts the most. I'm looking for a sound close to Poison The Well, but they use orange amps which I will never have enough money for.

What about bugera 333XL 212? I'm looking into that amp atm.

Any better suggestions for around $400? Thanks guys.
Also, I am looking for an amp that would complement my guitar which is a Schecter C-1 Elite with coil taps, I was also planning on using either a modded metal zone or a TS-9.
A 333xl 212 would be great. A very very versitile combo.
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Quote by Cory Buckholz
I play mostly hardcore, experimental stuff, so my lead channel is what counts the most. I'm looking for a sound close to Poison The Well, but they use orange amps which I will never have enough money for.

What about bugera 333XL 212? I'm looking into that amp atm.

Any better suggestions for around $400? Thanks guys.

Valveking is definitely not what you're looking for. I played a Valveking today and the distortion sounded really fizzy (the clean was good, but that probably isn't too important to you). As previously stated, a 6505+ sounds like your best bet.
Yeah... the VK distortion needs alot of work to do metal well.

Go for a 6505+, Vypyr Tube, or a Bugera. A used Line 6 Flextone will do you well too, if you can find one.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
caught fire?

As in it actually burnt the amp up?

Did you check the bias on the amp?

If 2 amps from the same line just up and die on you, its a pretty reliable sign that you just don't have any luck with VKs.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by TheLetheProject
Valveking is definitely not what you're looking for. I played a Valveking today and the distortion sounded really fizzy (the clean was good, but that probably isn't too important to you). As previously stated, a 6505+ sounds like your best bet.

+1

i played a 212 version it had a really fizzy an thin distortion channel even with the boost on, but the cleans are definitely amazing

+1 also on the 6505/bugera suggestion, for the br00tr4lz nothing beats the peavey! but the bugera seems pretty close

oh yeah and if it caught on fire, twice.. i think thats an omen to something a lot worse then amp selection xD
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
So I ended up picking up a Bugera 6262 212 Combo, I love it. The cleans are great, and the distortion is wonderful, but I am still looking for something a little darker.

What would be a good pedal for the bugera 6262? I was looking around at the TS-9, seems the best option, but someone had told me about modded metal zone pedals that could do the trick. What do you people think?