So I'm finally going to get the guitar i've dreamed for since i was maybe 10. I was wondering what models you guys recomend and such. Budget would be up to around $2,200. Don't tell me to get a new amp, i love my amp (i don't know if you guys still do that or not, i haven't been on here for a while). And if you think that there's another guitar in that price range that incredibly outweighs a Les Paul than go ahead and mention. Styles are blues, classick rock, metal, some shred, that type of stuff.
EDIT: i'm definitely going to be going to guitar center to try a ton out before i buy one (and i'm not buying online), i just would like your opinion.
Last edited by stratdud39 at May 22, 2010,
gibson les paul standard or deluxe? even maybe some sort of custom if your buying used
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by stratdud39
i dont really know, i'm a little clueless when it comes to gibson quality beyond the studio, i could probably buy used, i'd prefer new though.

definatly buy used. i doubt i will ever buy new again unless its a pedal or cases or accesories or anything. But ive seen some beautiful goldtop deluxes for like 1700, if i had the money i would 100% pick up one of those. sound awesome, play awesome, they are just amazing.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
parker dragon fly ahhhhhh i want one
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
Quote by diceksox1809
definatly buy used. i doubt i will ever buy new again unless its a pedal or cases or accesories or anything. But ive seen some beautiful goldtop deluxes for like 1700, if i had the money i would 100% pick up one of those. sound awesome, play awesome, they are just amazing.

thanks, i'll definitely look into to that.
PRS Singlecut...I think you might like the diverse tones you can get out of one
MY GEAR!

Indiana IE1-TSB Electric
Kay K-592 Acousitc
Washburn XS-2 Bass
Peavey VYPYR30 with Sanpera I footswitch
Jay Turser Acoustic Electric
Paul Reed Smith (PRS) Custom SE 24 Black Cherry

www.myspace.com/12goodomens
I'd be hunting down a les paul custom of some sort if i was you..
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Yeah, buy used. Sometimes you can find people who did really interesting shit to their LP's, like in the 80's where people threw Floyd's on 'em... Locking nut and all.
My favorite LP is the BFG. You should check it out but it might not be your style. It's also cheaper than Standards due to the barebones approach.
No warranty from Gibson if you go used though.
I've been searching for Traditionals today and played a couple of Standards in the process.
The Trads are closer to older LPs, one piece body, weight relieved but not chambered, 57 Classic HBs, 50's neck profile. The Standards are now two piece backs!, chambered, Burstbucker PUs, and that stupid neutrix jack (sp). Nice tuners though but they felt so lite they were like toys. I'm still looking for the Trad I'll buy as the stores here (4) had only 1 or at most 2 to try out.
I'd imagine GC would have a much greater selection. Be prepared to see beyond the setup though. I was not impressed with the heigth of the strings and the nut.
Moving on.....
Les Paul Traditional Pro. Non chambered but weight relieved. Coil tapped with a slim 60's neck. Can't be beat for $1999.00 Unless you want ebony it's cheaper. IMO the new standards are not really standards. The traditional line covers what the Standards used to be.

The new Standards are Chambered with that weird Asymmetrical neck me no likey.
If you start a reply with: I have never played one but I have heard good things about it! Your opinion is invalid.
I would never buy used, I own a LP studio and it's great, you need to spend your money more then studio, i guess but perhaps a traditional would be nice

Gear
Schecter Jeff Loomis NT (7 string bad-ass)
Esp Ltd Deluxe MH-1000 FR
ENGL Screamer 50
Quote by Rangor6363
If you wanna learn how to play something, first you gotta listen it!

Last.fm
Quote by lildude_6859
PRS Singlecut...I think you might like the diverse tones you can get out of one

I couldnt agree more. The PRS SC i way more versital then a les paul. And its more comfortable to play.
i've played the traditional pro and i absolutely love it. If i were to rank it by epic-ness level it be #2 to a 81 silverburst i've played...but thats besides the point. Anything with the traditional tag i've played is good quality and i've loved it
Quote by boxcarmonument
Les Paul Traditional Pro. Non chambered but weight relieved. Coil tapped with a slim 60's neck. Can't be beat for $1999.00 Unless you want ebony it's cheaper. IMO the new standards are not really standards. The traditional line covers what the Standards used to be.

The new Standards are Chambered with that weird Asymmetrical neck me no likey.

I'll second this.
Don't put blinders on and just think "Les Paul". I did the same thing many years ago, I wanted a Gibson Les Paul Custom and my wife was going to buy me one for my birthday. I played every Les Paul they had. Nothing felt right or spoke to me. I was about to leave when the clerk pointed out the Fenders. I figured WTF. My Strat Plus came home with me that day.

Play anything and everything they have. You may be surprized with what you find thats not a Gibson Les Paul.

Happy hunting.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Les Paul Standard Traditional Plus in Tobbacco Burst is pretty much my dream guitar
alright now that i think about it, i would like your honest opinion.
With around $2,000, a line 6 spidervalve 112 (which is a good amp), an SE mexican strat, a B.C. Rich JR. V you got for $300 used with an invader in the bridge and some sort of dean in the neck, and a very versatile Ibanez RG that you got for about $270 used (forget the model), what would YOU buy?
EDIT: i'd also like to mention that i dont gig, i'd really like to gig but i can't find anyone to jam with.
Last edited by stratdud39 at May 31, 2010,
Quote by JBailey23
i've played the traditional pro and i absolutely love it. If i were to rank it by epic-ness level it be #2 to a 81 silverburst i've played...but thats besides the point. Anything with the traditional tag i've played is good quality and i've loved it

your #1 is a norlin?
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by stratdud39
alright now that i think about it, i would like your honest opinion.
With around $2,000, a line 6 spidervalve 112 (which is a good amp), an SE mexican strat, a B.C. Rich JR. V you got for $300 used with an invader in the bridge and some sort of dean in the neck, and a very versatile Ibanez RG that you got for about $270 used (forget the model), what would YOU buy?
EDIT: i'd also like to mention that i dont gig, i'd really like to gig but i can't find anyone to jam with.

How did you get from wanting a Les Paul all the way down to a mexican Fender & a BC Jr? Yes you can buy a bunch of cheap guitars for the price of a Gibson but they all together don't ad up to e good LP and maybe you really don't want a Gibson LP anyway.
I'm still waiting for the call from L&M to go and check out my new Traditional HoneyBurst (hope tomorrow!).

Lots of people think they like LPs but once they play them they realize they just liked the looks and not the what an LP is really about. Me, I've settled on LPs and it'll probably stay that way.
Moving on.....
Quote by AcousticMirror
your #1 is a norlin?

I have had a few different Les Pauls.A Smartwood,Classics(still have one),Custom,Standard and a 71 Deluxe. The Deluxe has all the Norlin mods that cork sniffers hate.Pancake body,wrong headstock angle,big headstock and volute .its also routed for full sized pups. Its not as heavey as my ex 90 Custom,feels,looks and sounds great and is more comfortable and plays better then all the rest. Plus they are increasing in value.Theres not many guitars doing that.
Last edited by marantz1300 at May 31, 2010,
Quote by KenG
How did you get from wanting a Les Paul all the way down to a mexican Fender & a BC Jr? Yes you can buy a bunch of cheap guitars for the price of a Gibson but they all together don't ad up to e good LP and maybe you really don't want a Gibson LP anyway.
I'm still waiting for the call from L&M to go and check out my new Traditional HoneyBurst (hope tomorrow!).

Lots of people think they like LPs but once they play them they realize they just liked the looks and not the what an LP is really about. Me, I've settled on LPs and it'll probably stay that way.

Don't think that's what he meant. He's saying those are the guitars he owns right now, and he's asking in what direction most people would go with their next purchase if those were the kinds of guitars they owned.

If it were me, I'd sell some of those guitars you don't use (unless they hold sentimental value) and save a little more money, then hit up a Custom Shop model Gibson or Fender. You've gone far enough to save that much money, what's another grand or two gonna hurt.
Quote by KenG

i could never afford to buy one, and i still can't but my parents are getting me one anyway. and i played a les paul during the summer and it was pretty nice, not sure what model it was. I'm not going to buy any guitar without trying first, btw. sorry for the late response also

EDIT:
Quote by chip46
Don't think that's what he meant. He's saying those are the guitars he owns right now, and he's asking in what direction most people would go with their next purchase if those were the kinds of guitars they owned.

If it were me, I'd sell some of those guitars you don't use (unless they hold sentimental value) and save a little more money, then hit up a Custom Shop model Gibson or Fender. You've gone far enough to save that much money, what's another grand or two gonna hurt.

should have read the rest of the posts before i posted
and i could never sell the strat, but selling the bc rich and ibanez could be a possibility

Quote by SeeEmilyPlay
I'm not experienced much with lp's. Congrats on getting the guitar of your dreams though. It's an awesome feeling

thanks
Last edited by stratdud39 at May 31, 2010,