Hey everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade my guitar and wondering what I should buy, consider, and what to stay away from.

Mainly play a modern rock sound, nothing too metal but not too light. Lots of riffs, mainly high and mid range. Usually play with a decent amount of distortion through a 100W fender half stack.
Need something with 22 frets but 24 would be nice. Trem optional.

Looking in the $700 US/can range.

Thanks for any help!

Rob
lulz
Last edited by robt18 at May 23, 2010,
What is it about your tone that you're looking to upgrade? Just wondering, because (like always) you might want to consider an amp upgrade before a guitar upgrade, unless you have a playability problem.
Looking for something a little more crisp sounding, and the wiring inside the current guitar is starting to go a little bit so there's a bit of crackling once in a while. Some extra sustain would be nice too. Current guitar tends to give more feedback then others too (I've tested it vs other guitars on the same amp... don't know what would cause that but for some reason it does.)
lulz
Well...What guitar do you have?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
A waaay too old no name LP knock off and the crackling one is an epi G400.
lulz
You could fix the crackling with a bit of soldering skills, I don't know if you have that or not though.

In any case, you may want to try something made out of basswood, and see how you like it.

What shapes do you like?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Mainly looking at your SG, LP, or other basic-ish shapes. Not looking at an explorer or flying V or anything like that.

Soldering skills < 0

Even a list of good ones to check out would be helpful, hitting the guitar store next week to check a bunch out, but I'd like to know which ones to plug in and try.
lulz