Page 1 of 2
I'm paying off my car earlier than I thought so I'm looking to get some amps with the extra cash I have around (about 700 bucks a month that I usually just put into the car). I'm thinking that instead of putting it into savings which I've done before and made...about nothing over a years time...I would invest into some well priced used amps that I could sell sometime down the line, either for a profit, to break even, or suffer a minimal loss while enjoying some great gear. What are some amps I should check out? The first one my list is the Mesa Electra-Dyne. I'm waiting until I can find one used for about a grand, then I was going to pick up a Mark IV as well for a similar price. What else should I be looking at?
Mesa Dual Rectifier
Marshall JCM 2000
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
The Mark IV is fantastic. So is the JCM and Rectifier, but I prefer the Mark.
Same question everyone wants to know..

What type of music do you play?
Last edited by foob85 at May 23, 2010,
Well, I second the Mesa Dual Rectifier . A Bogner Uberschall would be awesome too, they go used for about $1500 though.
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
I would go with a mark IV or a Dual Rectifier. You can get some great tones out of both. I feel the mark IV is more well rounded tone wise though.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Quote by foob85
Same question everyone wants to know..

What type of music do you play?

I play blues mostly, old Albert King type stuff, but my ideal tone would be more along the lines of a deep, throaty, and slightly overdriven, but bluesy tone. Like if you crossed SRV's Texas Flood and the intro to Gojira's Flying Whales. Don't really know how to describe it. I feel like that kind of describes a Recto but I don't really know how to describe it exactly. Does that make sense to anyone? haha.
You sure you don't want to put that stuff into savings? It takes a while, but, with interest, you can really start racking up some money...

But if you don't want to save and really have lots of money, I recommend the Diezel VH4.

EDIT: Blues? ...I don't know a whole lot about that. Maybe a Marshall JCM800, or a PRS of some sort.
Last edited by TheLetheProject at May 23, 2010,
Quote by AcousticMirror
blackface fenders
tweed fenders
two-rock
carolann

As for the Carolanns, would you recommend the OD2 series amps or something else?

I tried a Top Hat that was downright epic, it was a 1x12 combo didn't have a model number or name on it though...Just a tone knob and a volume knob.

Quote by TheLetheProject
You sure you don't want to put that stuff into savings? It takes a while, but, with interest, you can really start racking up some money...

But if you don't want to save and really have lots of money, I recommend the Diezel VH4.

Well I tried that once with 10 grand didn't make much, only about 200 bucks...plus right now interest rates blow.
Last edited by PerpetualBurn at May 23, 2010,
What you want is a Fender Blackface. Seeing as you have time you could wait until something really special comes on the market.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
ya that doesn't sound like your describing a mesa at all.

you want a carol ann od2 and a two-rock overdrive special

top hats are good. They are basically really awesome clones.
The supreme 16 and vanderbilt 33 are voxs
emplexador is a plexi.
the rest are fenders.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Any model in particular? I'm looking right now at different layouts and I like the look of the Super Reverb 410, seems they are about 2 grand which isn't a problem. I'm really looking to get most of the gear I will need for a long time while I can, so I can help my fiancee buy a new car in a bit. Would I be good with an Electra Dyne for Brit tones, a Super Reverb for the blues, Dual Rec for metal, and a Mark IV for everything else? I'm assuming I would be but if anyone has any ideas of other bases I should be covering let me know. I teach guitar and record for a university professor so every once in a while it helps to have something off the wall so all suggestions are appreciated.
i don't think you need an electra dyne, a dual rec, and a mark iv at all. with all that money you could get a

fryette sig:x -
a top hat - anyone you wanted
and a carol-ann - od2

I know mesa's got rep and history but at a certain price point you gotta leave them behind. They've been outclassed for a while already.
I don't think he means as literal investments. He just wants to not lose a bunch of money like when you buy new stuff and sell it.

The Mark would cover metal very well. You wouldn't really need the Recto. The Super and Electra Dyne are both great at what they do and IMO the Electra Dyne is one of the best amps you can buy at the moment. Used ones tend to go for around the new price though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by PerpetualBurn
I play blues mostly, old Albert King type stuff, but my ideal tone would be more along the lines of a deep, throaty, and slightly overdriven, but bluesy tone. Like if you crossed SRV's Texas Flood and the intro to Gojira's Flying Whales. Don't really know how to describe it. I feel like that kind of describes a Recto but I don't really know how to describe it exactly. Does that make sense to anyone? haha.

If you're a blues guy then I suggest the JCM800, not 100% but I believe that what Hendrix used. Also if you want more balls you can get an OD pedal.
65 amps Soho
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by pwrmax
If you're a blues guy then I suggest the JCM800, not 100% but I believe that what Hendrix used. Also if you want more balls you can get an OD pedal.

The JCM800 came out 10 years after Hendrix died.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by AcousticMirror
i don't think you need an electra dyne, a dual rec, and a mark iv at all. with all that money you could get a

fryette sig:x -
a top hat - anyone you wanted
and a carol-ann - od2

I know mesa's got rep and history but at a certain price point you gotta leave them behind. They've been outclassed for a while already.

I'm interested in the Sig:X as well. My uncle has a Pitbull which if I remember correctly had to be set with the master at about noon to sound right, but then it sounded amazing. Is the Sig:X like this?

Quote by mmolteratx
I don't think he means as literal investments. He just wants to not lose a bunch of money like when you buy new stuff and sell it.

The Mark would cover metal very well. You wouldn't really need the Recto. The Super and Electra Dyne are both great at what they do and IMO the Electra Dyne is one of the best amps you can buy at the moment. Used ones tend to go for around the new price though.

Yeah that's my problem with the Electra-Dyne at the moment, but also why I'm tempted to go Mesa in case I ever do choose to sell it or trade up to something else down the line. I mean I'm not bothered in losing 100 bucks from an amp that I bought for 1000 after 2 years of owning it, but from my experience a loss has yet to happen and that's with amps I figured would have no resale value. Would the Electra-Dyne in any way make the Super kind of redundant?
A Budda MN100 for your high gain metal sounds.

Then do a NGD

That would be pretty epic and the first NM100 (and maybe only) we'll see here on UG.

http://www.budda.com/gear/gear.cfm?series=627

How sexy is that!
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at May 23, 2010,
No man, the Electra and Super cover completely different grounds.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Jet city jca-100
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by polishedbullet
Get the Splawn half-stack of your choice....now.

I've actually been checking these out for a bit now...

Right now I'm thinking what I might do is get in no particular order...

Mesa Electra-Dyne ~$1000
Mesa Mark IV ~$1000
Fender Super Reverb ~$1500
Splawn Nitro or Quickrod ~$1500
The newly revised Mesa Dual Rectifier ~$1300
Mesa Stilleto Cab ~$500

All of these are used prices, but all in all that would be about a years worth of the extra money I would have, then if there were any I felt were totally obsolete from another I could sell one or two off. If I got a Dual Rec then I would probably get the Splawn Quickrod instead of the Nitro, but of course I would have to figure out if I wanted to keep either first. Thanks everyone for the recommendations.
Quote by PerpetualBurn
I would invest into some well priced used amps that I could sell sometime down the line, either for a profit, to break even, or suffer a minimal loss while enjoying some great gear.

Please be prepared for the bolded outcome. It's no big deal, but don't kid yourself into thinking that you are investing in amps. You're just buying gear.
Never had a loss myself, probably inflation but even with that I'm still making more money than by putting it into a savings account even at a very high interest rate.
I know we've beat the Mesa's to death but nobody mentioned the Lonestar. That would be a good Texas blues type amp.
Tele - EP Booster - DLS - Big Muff - Ekko 616 - Rocker 30/AC15
Quote by mmolteratx

The JCM800 came out 10 years after Hendrix died.

Ahh my bad, I was thinking of someone else. Now I forget who
Quote by jimtaka
OK!

I mean I'm not expecting to make money or anything, but in my experience it's more fruitful to purchase tangible property instead of stocks or certificates of deposits. You may have more safety in a CD but you are taking money away from the present which can be used to purchase assets that can maintain their value while most importantly, make life (and particularly life in capitalist America) worth living.

But yeah in essence I'm not looking to make money, just have an awesome time.
Quote by PerpetualBurn
I've actually been checking these out for a bit now...

Right now I'm thinking what I might do is get in no particular order...

Mesa Electra-Dyne ~$1000
Mesa Mark IV ~$1000
Fender Super Reverb ~$1500
Splawn Nitro or Quickrod ~$1500
The newly revised Mesa Dual Rectifier ~$1300
Mesa Stilleto Cab ~$500

All of these are used prices, but all in all that would be about a years worth of the extra money I would have, then if there were any I felt were totally obsolete from another I could sell one or two off. If I got a Dual Rec then I would probably get the Splawn Quickrod instead of the Nitro, but of course I would have to figure out if I wanted to keep either first. Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

I still think that's way to many amps that do kinda the same thing. You'll never touch the d.rec. if you get a splawn.
matchless independence if you can find it. unblieveable sound and extremely versatile. will do everything except metal. although i doubt anyone has tried to play meyal on one, it may be able to do it.
Quote by PerpetualBurn
have an awesome time.

That's all I was getting at
By the way, I would definitely be all over some mid 60s Fender black face amps if I were doing this.
If I got a whole bunch of money and didn't have any other obligations I would get

http://www.drzamps.com/amps/ezg50/ - fender tones
http://www.suhrguitars.com/OD100.aspx#SE - mid to high gain tones
http://www.splawnguitars.com/images/nitro09or1200.gif - marshall
http://www.matchlessamplifiers.com/phoenix.html - vox
then the mark iv.

That would be yum. Actually I should do that.
If I were going to go with modern amps, I would get a Two Rock, sleeve tattoo, and a tortoise shell pick guard for my 3-tone burst Strat.
Page 1 of 2