So I've been playing guitar for nearly 3 years now, and I still feel like a beginner of sorts. Lately I have been practicing at least a couple hours a day, sometimes up to 5, but sadly I don't feel like I'm that much better at guitar.

I only took formal lessons for about 6 months when I started, and then I have been learning on my own from then, most of my practicing is of learning new songs from tabs.

I started learning theory in hope of making the best of my time while playing guitar, I'm wondering if anyone else has some suggestions?
play different types of music. I have learned that by doing this it will open up much more options. I progressed into playing metal from playing classic rock like ac/dc and led zep. I think most players on this website that turn to playing metal started with classic rock or pop rock and got bored. I have then gone from metal to jazz to blues to different playing styles like slide or finger picking. Hope this helps. i feel that with guitar you need to be open minded and don't just go down one path.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Last edited by iceh88 at May 23, 2010,
Definitely take formal lessons again, but look for someone that really knows their stuff.

To capitalize on what iceh88 said, take formal lessons from someone in a different genre (i'd consider myself a hard rock guitarist but i take lessons in jazz)
Quote by somemaycallmeti
Definitely take formal lessons again, but look for someone that really knows their stuff.

To capitalize on what iceh88 said, take formal lessons from someone in a different genre (i'd consider myself a hard rock guitarist but i take lessons in jazz)

How do you find a good teacher, and generally what is a reasonable price? I'm a student right now, and I've also been considering taking vocal lessons, so money is definitely an issue at the moment.