Lets say that hypothetically speaking time travel was real. I'm wondering, what is the pits idea on time in general, or time travel? The way I look at it is if time travel were to ever exist we would know by now because something would have happened, unless it were kept a secret so I don't know.

What do you guys think? Time is linear or spacial or maybe based on different sets of planes depending on the actions one would take? Time travel possible?

tl;dr

Discuss time and time travel.
I havn't changed this thing in a year.

I LOVE GIANT YELLOW TEXT!
Watch some stephen hawkin into the universe. He says it is technically possible to travel forward in time but not backards. when next to something with a high mass, the time goes slower then things not close to the mass. I can't explain it too well but watch it. it is quite good.
Stephen Hawking thinks it is possible, therefore I think it is possible. He's my hero.

EDIT: ^ That
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Time isn't a dimension, it is just a way that we measure events by comparing them to predictable events, such as the Earth's rotation as a day. The only way I think time can appear to be altered is if you adjust your brain's speed of perception.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Actually, Stephen Colbert said that Stephen Hawking said that you could possibly go back in time. Hawking said he would visit Marilyn Monroe and Galileo.

Lol, he would go back and tap Marilyn, then go back further to brag about it to his science buddy. But he wouldn't stop Hitler, or save Jesus, lol.
Quote by rgrockr
Time isn't a dimension, it is just a way that we measure events by comparing them to predictable events, such as the Earth's rotation as a day. The only way I think time can appear to be altered is if you adjust your brain's speed of perception.

Many respected scientists disagree.
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
Time was explained to me like this. We see time as a line, aka "Chronos" time.

God sees time as like a giant bubble due to existing outside of time. He sees creation, now, the end, and everything between all at once. This is called "Kairos" time.

(Also, I know those probably aren't spelled right.)

If time travel were possible and something happened that drastically changed things, I don't think we would know because it would be normal for us. It's not like we would believe someone who said they were from the future.

As far as travel goes, I think your influence would happen 2 ways.

------------------------------------------------------
/
/
/
/
/

/
/
/
/
/

In this instance, a traveler comes back, influences time so that in the next timeline, he doesn't go back in time, so then in the timeline after that, he goes back and influences it so he doesn't go back, basically making the pattern I just made above, the horizontal lines being time lines and the back slashes being the travel from one line to another line, earlier on.

/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/

In the instance above, the traveler goes back and influences time in a way that the traveler of that timeline goes to the next timeline to influence it, basically just repeating over and over with each traveler going back and influencing him or herself to travel back in time.

That's just my hypothesis though.

EDIT: Well crap, apparently my visual representation isn't pulling up right.
Quote by aaciseric
But wouldn't all that be worth it to ride a zebra around campus? Perhaps dressed in chainmail? Maybe with a plastic sword and a wench who may or may not just be a prostitute?

Last edited by kstar22bassist at May 23, 2010,
Quote by Unit 731
Actually, Stephen Colbert said that Stephen Hawking said that you could possibly go back in time. Hawking said he would visit Marilyn Monroe and Galileo.

Lol, he would go back and tap Marilyn, then go back further to brag about it to his science buddy. But he wouldn't stop Hitler, or save Jesus, lol.

How in the hell would Stephen Hawking be any use fighting Nazi Germany?
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

Check out Ronald L. Mallett. he is a professor at UConn, he claims time travel is possible using highly focused lasers but he thinks a time machine could only send you back to the date the machine was first switched on. interesting stuff
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Follow me on the tweet machine. I tweet about interesting things like the weather and what I ate for breakfast.
Well if it was possible and probably is then we would all end up like Lost and have a flash sideways. 17 hours till the finale.
Quote by bodyheatseeker
How in the hell would Stephen Hawking be any use fighting Nazi Germany?

Dude, he can shoot Hawking Radiation from his fingertips.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ The aeroplane
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ flies high, turns
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ left, looks right.
Time travel is possible in the sense of Albert Einstein's Theory of Relativity.

For example: Let's say you're traveling out in space at a speed of 0.9c for 75 years on a round trip to and back to Earth, all in your frame of reference. Now, to you, it's only been 75 years, but when you have returned to Earth, it would be 172 years after you left, thus you traveled 97 years into the future.
THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Drive! Drive on down the field, men of the scarlet and gray...
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginere
Engenere
I'm good with math.

a0/2 + ∑ an cos(nπx/L) + bn sin(nπx/L)

ĤΨ(x,t) = iħ ∂Ψ(x,t)/∂t
σx σp ≥ h/2
Quote by StewieSwan
Many respected scientists disagree.

The respected scientists can say whatever they want, it doesn't make them right. Time is a very theoretical subject, and IMO it's just an invention of man.
Depends on your definition of possible. It's possible if you can locate an early 80s DeLorean, find a set of flux capacitors for it, and hire Chistopher Lloyd to navigate for you.
Everyone knows that it's possible to "travel forward in time" due to the theory of relativity (even though that's actually making time slow down for you while remaining constant for everyone else). Traveling "back in time" is where it gets sticky, due to paradoxes and such. I contend that it is impossible for both free will and the possibility of traveling back in time to exist, since if people had free will and at any point in the future discover the ability to travel back in time, the universe as we know it could be destroyed. Since, if one subscribes to the idea that time travel is possible it is sometimes easier to view all of time as simultaneous (a la Tralfamadorians), one could think of this paradox as 'having occurred already' unless said time travelers had never made it this far back in history, which seems unlikely.

However, if one contends that free will does not exist, which much of the evidence does seem to support, then there is the possibility of the universe 'not allowing' these paradoxes, thus allowing for the possibility of time travel. However, since as of yet the existence of time travelers has never been documented, one of two possibilities must then be true: Either these time travelers have been extremely careful (a definite possibility, because if they did exist they surely would be mindful of the 'butterfly effect', meaning any small action by them could drastically alter human history, though as mentioned before the universe might not 'allow for this'), or, as many scientists believe, the means for receiving time travelers must be built before such traveling is able to occur. Once we build the destination, some hold, many time travelers will begin to appear.
kill all humans
Ok this isn't going to be something you would expect to hear from the pit.This is going to be an intelligent converstaion.

Personally i think of time as a two or three planes which are very close together. These planes vary apon the others so much so that they are always connected.

For illistrative purposes go to your bathroom and get a piece of TP. presuming it is two ply, take one square and wave it. Notice that the two plies stay together. this is how i believe time works.

Now Time travel is a different subject.
Ok, now think of that piece of toilet paper as a waving time line. We as normal humans are along for the ride, going up and down as we go. If we could find a way to just stay in the middle we could speed up time,or time travel. well lets say that a strong electromagnetic shock would allow us to travel this medium, theoretically if we were to use an anti-electromagnetic shock we should be able to go backwards. As long as we canfind a way to go forwards we should be able to go backwards.

These are my beliefs and theories on time and the traveling of time. This may be possible theories of my imagination combined with a slight sleep deprivation or completely true. In hindsight these ar possible theories very advanced for a 16 year old boy who loves to play his drum and guitar.
the pit showing how intelligent it is
Quote: I believed this would happen eventually but never so soon prepare for the rapture. And that would make each countries dollar the same so instead of 600 yen=6 american dollars.How would they equalize it?
time is an ocean and we are boats in motion; as we move we make and leave ripples behind. Time is and always will be present.

Then again, what is time travel? I leave earth at the 99% the speed of light, come back 100 years later relative to me, and everything I knew has changed entirely. Hundreds of years have gone by, and I have aged little, though I am able to see my great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandson, and he's older than I. is that time travel? Did I really travel to the future?
anybody wanna put anything here just let me know
Last edited by societies_worm at May 23, 2010,
Quote by rgrockr
The respected scientists can say whatever they want, it doesn't make them right. Time is a very theoretical subject, and IMO it's just an invention of man.

Are those motherfuckers lyin' and gettin' you pissed?
Quote by CaptainCanti
it wouldn't surprise me if UG goes down within the next couple months, along with other privately owned sites

December 14, 2017
Quote by StewieSwan
Are those motherfuckers lyin' and gettin' you pissed?

Magic everywhere in this bitch.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ The aeroplane
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ flies high, turns
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ left, looks right.
Quote by societies_worm
time is an ocean and we are boats in motion; as we move we make and leave ripples behind. Time is and always will be present.

Then again, what is time travel? I leave earth at the 99% the speed of light, come back 100 years later relative to me, and everything I knew has changed entirely. Hundreds of years have gone by, and I have aged little, though I am able to see my great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandson, and he's older than I. is that time travel? Did I really travel to the future?
You actually come back aged 100 years since, to you, you were gone for 100 years. While you were traveling, the Earth aged 709 years. So, you "traveled" 609 years into the future.

I love these relativity calculations.
THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I'm an
Engeneer
Enginere
Engenere
I'm good with math.

ĤΨ(x,t) = iħ ∂Ψ(x,t)/∂t
σx σp ≥ h/2
Quote by Unit 731

Stopping Hitler or saving Jesus would have potentially apocalyptic consequences.
Quote by Metalology
You'll probably get some praise from people in as sad of a situation as you or maybe some laughs from people who enjoy your lame sense of humor.

lolwut

a blog that should be floating in the toilet. toiletfloater.blogspot.com
Quote by rgrockr

I think of time as a 4th dimension like this:
assume u are in a city where the street system is set up in a perfect grid, where the streets are numbered. Odds run east and west and evens run north and south. You receive an invitation with the meeting place at the building on the corner of 4th and 9th on the 3rd story (x,y,z dimensions). However, with just this info you might miss the meeting. You need a meeting time in order to make your appointment. Hence, time is the 4th dimension. I'm pretty sure i took that example from hawking's into the universe but its been a while since high school physics class.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Follow me on the tweet machine. I tweet about interesting things like the weather and what I ate for breakfast.
Quote by iplayat11
assume u are in a city where the street system is set up in a perfect grid, where the streets are numbered. Odds run east and west and evens run north and south. You receive an invitation with the meeting place at the building on the corner of 4th and 9th on the 3rd story (x,y,z dimensions). However, with just this info you might miss the meeting. You need a meeting time in order to make your appointment. Hence, time is the 4th dimension. I'm pretty sure i took that example from hawking's into the universe but its been a while since high school physics class.

Somebody watched the latest Dawkins video.

Edit: Nevermind, not the latest. But recent
Quote by CaptainCanti

December 14, 2017
Last edited by StewieSwan at May 23, 2010,
Quote by Got Guitar?
You actually come back aged 100 years since, to you, you were gone for 100 years. While you were traveling, the Earth aged 709 years. So, you "traveled" 609 years into the future.

I love these relativity calculations.

shit. well 100 years relative to the earth, only then will I have aged little.
anybody wanna put anything here just let me know
If your going to do the E= MC2 via space travel thing, You might as well freeze yourself in a cryo-gen chamber because when you get back you'll be too old 2 do anything
the pit showing how intelligent it is
Quote: I believed this would happen eventually but never so soon prepare for the rapture. And that would make each countries dollar the same so instead of 600 yen=6 american dollars.How would they equalize it?
Quote by dag_94
Ok this isn't going to be something you would expect to hear from the pit.This is going to be an intelligent converstaion.

Personally i think of time as a two or three planes which are very close together. These planes vary apon the others so much so that they are always connected.

For illistrative purposes go to your bathroom and get a piece of TP. presuming it is two ply, take one square and wave it. Notice that the two plies stay together. this is how i believe time works.

Now Time travel is a different subject.
Ok, now think of that piece of toilet paper as a waving time line. We as normal humans are along for the ride, going up and down as we go. If we could find a way to just stay in the middle we could speed up time,or time travel. well lets say that a strong electromagnetic shock would allow us to travel this medium, theoretically if we were to use an anti-electromagnetic shock we should be able to go backwards. As long as we canfind a way to go forwards we should be able to go backwards.

These are my beliefs and theories on time and the traveling of time. This may be possible theories of my imagination combined with a slight sleep deprivation or completely true. In hindsight these ar possible theories very advanced for a 16 year old boy who loves to play his drum and guitar.
And your evidence for this is...
kill all humans
Quote by societies_worm
shit. well 100 years relative to the earth, only then will I have aged little.
Alright, yeah. 100 years relative to the earth at 0.99c means you only age by 14 years. That'd be pretty ****ing cool, but I don't know if I could deal with everyone I knew and loved being gone.
THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I'm an
Engeneer
Enginere
Engenere
I'm good with math.

ĤΨ(x,t) = iħ ∂Ψ(x,t)/∂t
σx σp ≥ h/2
Quote by iplayat11

I understand your logic, but think about it this way: how do you determine what time it occurs once you are given a time? All you are given is a number which essentially represents when the appointment would occur compared to the predictable events of the earth's rotation on its axis and around the sun.
Quote by rgrockr
I understand your logic, but think about it this way: how do you determine what time it occurs once you are given a time? All you are given is a number which essentially represents when the appointment would occur compared to the predictable events of the earth's rotation on its axis and around the sun.

Which is why time is relative
yeah I believe it's possibly but I'll never witness it.
Get Busy Livin' Or Get Busy Dyin'.
Lol I asked the question and I don't understand word of what any of you guys are saying...

Call me old fashion but I don't think it's possible. I was doing some thinking, and I thunk and thunk for awhile and came to a realization.

I think stuff just happens, we are in a moment of time, none of this planar dimensional stuff, we are here and there isn't anywhere else or other place of time.
I havn't changed this thing in a year.

I LOVE GIANT YELLOW TEXT!
Quote by iplayat11

I thought that was the whole idea behind H.G. Wells' The Time Machine. A cube can be
1 inch cubed but if it's dimension of time is 0, it can't exist, right?
^IMO

Remember Reach

Soulsilver FC 1505 8079 2846
I believe that it is possible to travel back to a said time with the ability to change all forms of future outcomes, the only problem is that the universe that you have now changed has duplicated from its original form, hence, creating an alternate universe based upon your manipulation.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by tubatom868686
Which is why time is relative
Nah, time just seems longer when you have to deal with relatives.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Nah, time just seems longer when you have to deal with relatives.
THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I'm an
Engeneer
Enginere
Engenere
I'm good with math.

ĤΨ(x,t) = iħ ∂Ψ(x,t)/∂t
σx σp ≥ h/2
it is possible to travel back in time... im from the year 2000010
i'm Ginger its fun
F*cking time travel, how does it work?
And I don’t wanna talk to any of you guys
Y’all motherf*ckers lying, and getting me pissed.
;} KsE
Quote by wowsux
Lol I asked the question and I don't understand word of what any of you guys are saying...

Call me old fashion but I don't think it's possible. I was doing some thinking, and I thunk and thunk for awhile and came to a realization.

I think stuff just happens, we are in a moment of time, none of this planar dimensional stuff, we are here and there isn't anywhere else or other place of time.

There's your problem. But now seriously, it is possible, it's known to be possible for like.. 90 years?