How often do you actually use the 23rd or 24th fret? Im deciding between 2 guitars one has 22 and one has 24....this is kinda the tie breaker between them
I'm afraid I haven't used it yet, becouse I'm a rhythm player. Usually I don't go beyond the 15th or so.
Yup.
I hardly ever use them, however I like having them cause it seems to make playing up towards the 22nd fret easier. xD Just having the neck pushed out a little further from the body makes it easier to reach those higher frets.

So no help there I guess lol.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
well, i actually use mine all the time haha. When doing my own solos or other solos that require higher frets its generally easier to reach the 22nd fret with a 24 fret guitar because they have to scuplt the lower horn in a fitting way that comforts the 24th. Take a look at the ibanez Xiphos, 27 frets, i cant imagine haha
all the time, having it makes it easier to play around the 20-22 too
For tapping and arpeggio's, or long, stretched out fast runs. Yeah, I use it alot, and as been said, with it, it's easier to reach for the rest.
Quote by jem77gmc
Take a look at the ibanez Xiphos, 27 frets,

Holy crap. I didn't believe you for a second, so I went on ibanez.com and counted them myself. It kind of makes me interested. You can drop down 2 and a half steps and still have the range of a 22 fretter.
As long as there's enough clearance to comfortably reach the 24th fret, I do hit them frequently. But I have plenty of 22-fret guitars and I don't really miss the other two frets (but I play rhythm guitar most always).

Page and Hendrix and countless others did wonders with less then 24 frets. Vai and Petrucci do wonders with them. It's all good.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I'd take the 24, I don't use them much, but it makes it easier to reach 22, which is used in quite a lot of solos etc. I play. I do Occasionally use 23 and 24.
Get the 24 unless its significantly more expenseive. If you don't need them then whatever. The first time you need the 24th and only have 22 you'll be pissed that you didn't buy the other one.
lulz
Most 24 frets guitar have deeper neck access. It's what I like about them. Other than that I don't really have many use for the last two frets.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

there is absolutely no reason not to get the 24....as others have said you have to remember that if you have 24 frets, it makes the 22nd fret much easier to reach, or if you have 27 frets it makes the 24th easier to reach and so on, and it just gives you that little bit of extra range. Zero cons, only bonuses. It really bugs me playing on a guitar with only 22 or 21 frets, I think you'll regret not getting the guitar with the extra frets in the long run.
I don't think I've ever needed it, no. I have found myself needing a 22nd fret before when playing a 21fret guitar...and that's annoying.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
i use the 23rd and 24th frets all the time, and ive angled the pickups so i have 26 frets. the extre frets are good for tapping passages and sweep picking, and just really high soloing. even if you dont use them its better to have the as an option.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I love 24 frets for soloing in E minor, but i dont have a guitar with 24 frets ..... Yet!
Eh.
For some reason it's considered more cool by some to play really, really high up when soloing. There's really no musical reason for it other than your fingers have to barely move to change notes which does make it a little easier to play faster notes. It can get a little piercing at times in my opinion if you're hanging up there all the time. Most of the "greats" made do with 21 -22 frets no problem. Some of the most memeorable solos of all time barely went above 17 frets and some really great players do beautiful solos in the middle regions of the guitar where the notes can have more impact.
So, IMO 24 frets aren't needed by everyone, it does depend on your style but ask your self this, if you're constantly up in the highest registers, do your solos sound as good as you think they do are are you getting a little repetitive?
Moving on.....
Quote by randomucker
there is absolutely no reason not to get the 24....as others have said you have to remember that if you have 24 frets, it makes the 22nd fret much easier to reach, or if you have 27 frets it makes the 24th easier to reach and so on, and it just gives you that little bit of extra range. Zero cons, only bonuses. It really bugs me playing on a guitar with only 22 or 21 frets, I think you'll regret not getting the guitar with the extra frets in the long run.

You're forgetting that having extra frets forces the neck pickup to be moved closer to the bridge, and many people see this as a disadvantage. On a 22 fret guitar, the neck pickup is positioned in the harmonic 'sweet spot' where the 24th fret would go, so on a 24 fret guitar you get a different tone from the neck pickup.
Ask someone who owns this.

That's 36 frets.

Here's 29.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at May 23, 2010,
^^ Jeebus!!! Quite the oddities! You must need a f--king needle to play on the last couple of frets.
Moving on.....
Quote by Confuse-a-Cat
You're forgetting that having extra frets forces the neck pickup to be moved closer to the bridge, and many people see this as a disadvantage. On a 22 fret guitar, the neck pickup is positioned in the harmonic 'sweet spot' where the 24th fret would go, so on a 24 fret guitar you get a different tone from the neck pickup.

Of course, that only counts if you're playing open strings. When you fret something, that changes the harmonics etc. I do, however, like having the neck pickup as far away from the bridge pickup as is possible. That sounds great when you're soling around the 12th fret.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by robt18
Get the 24 unless its significantly more expenseive. If you don't need them then whatever. The first time you need the 24th and only have 22 you'll be pissed that you didn't buy the other one.

This +1000

I personally use the 24th occasionally. It's just extremely comforting to know that it's there.

Also about that sweet spot thing, I really, really don't understand it. On my Epi G400, there is 2 frets worth of space after my fretboard ends before the neck pickup, so doesn't that render the argument invalid?

I stay away from >24 fret guitars though, because I need 24, so I don't know if it's just that guitar or what.

See:

Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by KenG
^^ Jeebus!!! Quite the oddities! You must need a f--king needle to play on the last couple of frets.

And a pinky extender. I mean, it's not like you'd be able to tap on those higher frets. I've been holding my breath every time I walk into a shop hoping to see on of those two hanging on a wall in there.

My brain only renders "slide" as a playability option there.
I just don't feel comfortable playing without a 24 fret neck. (I love my Charvel but not enough frets)
Stuff:
ESP/LTD EC-200QM (with SD Distortions)
1986 Charvel Model 4
2013 Ibanez RG7421WH

Amps
Marshall MS-2 microamp (a POS)
B-52 LG-100a head (Not bad)

Pedals
Digitech Grunge distortion
i only use the 20th an above for sweep picking, and crazy ass fast solo's, normally i wouldn't go past 17th fret....
Since I've went to 24 I'll never go back if I'm playing metal
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP