im leaving town for a week and im gonna have to leave my guitars in my home. the thing is, it gets really hot, like 40 degrees in the daytime, but it cools down a little at night. will this have an effect on my guitar? should i keep em under my bed outside the sunlight?
Your guitar will self-destruct and the many splinters will impale your family members and anyone else who occupies within a 1 mile radius circle of your guitar. Best to keep it in a freezer preferably as close to absolute zero (-273 degrees celcius/-459 degress farenheit/0 kelvins etc.). If you cannot get access to a freezer and must leave it under your bed then it is absolutely vital that you create an enclosure out of solid concrete to the thickness of 25" with a 1" thick piece of lead ever 5" of concrete. Also inform all local forces of your departure as a precaution in case the worst happens and people die (trust me on this one many parents get pissed off when their little Johnny gets killed by flying splinters).

Or...nothing will happen and your guitar will be safe. If you really are worried then drop it off at a mates place but I really can't see them doing much different to what you are doing. It should be safe but if you are worried then do what I have said.
Outside of sunlight will keep the finish from sun damage but the only thing I think heat can do to an electric guitar is make the strings expand and lose tuning. What do you normally do to your guitars when it gets hot?

Heat can seriously screw around with acoustics though. So if you have one put that somewhere cool
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Quote by Guitar-KID125
What do you normally do to your guitars when it gets hot?

Bring it to the beach, strip it and take it for a swim, relax on the sand while having some iced tea. Not too sure if that's the answer you were looking for but it should be.
Nah its cool I was expecting someone to say something like that anyway
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

if exposed to some huge temperature changes, stuff can happen to your guitar, and it will propably need a new setup if it suffers a lot of large temperature changes. It's fine if you keep them a place where they will have a fairly stable temperature.
i was worried cuz my acoustic guitar got fxed up in my car before. ill just stick em under my bed thanks
More importantly watch the humidity of the room and keep the guitar out of direct sunlight. Never leave a guitar in you car though because those temperatures are a lot higher than 40!
Quote by Cheesepuff
i was worried cuz my acoustic guitar got fxed up in my car before. ill just stick em under my bed thanks

acoustics tend to warp faster. (never play one that's warm/hot to the touch) but

even electrics can feel the effects of dramatic temp changes.

just be sure to keep an eye on the humidity, like said, and if you pick up any extra buzzing, then visit the setup thread.

green link in my sig.

edit:
^if you have a case, and want to keep it tin there, then PLEASE find some silica packets, or pocket dehumidifier packets, and keep those in the case with the guitar.

they also sell cheap humidity meters, if you decide to invest in any more acoustics.

if you don't have a desiccant to dry up the room, then put some Tidy Cat crystal cat litter in a panty hose leg, knot the top and hang it in the room.

it'll draw in moisture of the room. when it's full, leave it out in the sun to dry out and hang a second one in the room for the day.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at May 23, 2010,
I'm guessing you mean 40 degrees celsius. The worst thing that could happen to a guitar by heat damage is the frets could come loose, Its much more likely to happen if the frets were glued in. If the frets come loose you will have fret buzz and you'll need to have it fixed by someone who knows what he/she is doing.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.