View poll results: Most Technically Proficient Musicians
Classical
14 36%
Jazz
20 51%
Rock
5 13%
Voters: 39.
Impossible to know based on what they are famous for playing. Perhaps there's a session musician who plays on pop songs, but in his spare time practises like a mother****er and is skilled in a lot of techniques and knows theory about a lot of different styles etc. etc.

You never know.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

Mike And The Mechanics.

olololololol

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Depends on how you rate 'technicality.' Classicial musicians are often required to play more physically demanding pieces, but jazz musicians reqularly perform complex improvisations on the fly. They're both incredibly proficient in different ways.

Rock shouldn't be an option in this particular poll, by the way.
Quote by ozzyismetal
Neopowell, that's because you are a pumped-up sex offender.
Quote by Kensai
You're exactly the kind of person who'd have sex in a bar drunk
Quote by Zero-Hartman
You're a terrible, terrible man. This is a new middle for you.

I write things. You can read them.Essay on UK student riots
jazz or classical, to a lesser extent some forms of metal
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Rock shouldn't be an option in this particular poll, by the way.

John Petrucci.
Inhuman evil take down!
It's impossible to pin point one genre as whole. Most genres contain things that are very technical.

You can generalise, though.
RIP Tom Searle.
You may as well ask the question "who's more proficient a flute player or trumpet player" the 3 style you've listed are so distinctly different a to not be comparable
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by 18th_Angel
John Petrucci.

Yeah, because he's representative of typical rock playing, innit.
Kurt Cobain, definitely.
American Fender Strat
1979 Marshall Superlead
Real Mccoy Wizard Wah
Robert Keeley Boss Tremolo
Euthymia Crucible Fuzz
Fulltone OCD+Deja Vibe
Line 6 DL4
Analogman BC108
Prescription C.O.B

Im a Single Coil man
Quote by webbtje
Yeah, because he's representative of typical rock playing, innit.

That's irrelevant, the OPs question had nothing to do with the how typical any players style is. The differences between players in one genre can be greater than the difference between two players in different genres anyway. Also, there is a real bias against rock musicians - why is it always the 'best' classical and jazz musicians compared with the 'worst' rock players.
Inhuman evil take down!
Really pointless thread. I'm sorry but VS threads are against the rule.
My Spanish Hearts
Quote by Blayney
Impossible to know based on what they are famous for playing. Perhaps there's a session musician who plays on pop songs, but in his spare time practises like a mother****er and is skilled in a lot of techniques and knows theory about a lot of different styles etc. etc.

You never know.

This. Gareth Gates is grade 8 in classical guitar, but still makes crappy pop songs.
jazz/blues. try youtubing some john mayer live stuff, he uses some damn strange pick patterns and chords that just can't be replicated by anyone!
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by 18th_Angel
That's irrelevant, the OPs question had nothing to do with the how typical any players style is. The differences between players in one genre can be greater than the difference between two players in different genres anyway.

Sorry, when asked to assess in which group a musician, on average, will be most technically proficient, do you really think Petrucci drags the average up for the hundreds of thousands of three-chorders?

Quote by 18th_Angel
Also, there is a real bias against rock musicians - why is it always the 'best' classical and jazz musicians compared with the 'worst' rock players.

Let's spot which genres require technical knowledge. Classical? Definitely. Jazz? Yeah. Rock? Er, no. That's not bias, that's stating the facts.
Last edited by webbtje at May 23, 2010,
Almost all genres have atleast a few very technically strong players.

Let's just point out Marc Okubo of Veil of Maya. Plays in a Deathcore band and excels both in technical playing as writing creativity. So it's all kind of relative.

Though if I had to pick from the 3 options, I think most proficiency would be found in the Jazz-genre.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

There's not one particular genre that stands out in particular. All genres can be relatively simple (thinks of early Judas Priest) or extremely technical (thinks of Necrophagist)..
We are all just spinning in this useless hole in time,
On our way into the black unknown.