Hey guys

In the past I've purchased amps from ebay 2nd hand and have had nothing but problems.

I now have the chance to purchase a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 for either

£410 - 2nd hand, Mint condition, 2008 model

£629 - Brand spanking new.

For the extra cash I get a brand new set of tubes and a warranty.

If you were in my situation what would you go for?
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Sold the JVM to fund a ridiculous top of the range Sony TV
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by ChucklesMginty
To be honest, if I were a big PG fan I'd look for a used 50W vintage modern. A quick check on eBay shows one going for £450 used.

and if i were in this persons situation i would get the brand new amp, nothing like being first, especially on the internets.. and a warranty? hot damn you just won the lottery
Jackson DK2M Dinky Pro W/ EMG 81/85 18v Black
ESP LTD EC-1000 W/ EMG 81/60 See Thru Blue
Schecter C-1 HellRaiser W/ EMG 81TW/89 Black Cherry
Peavey 6505 W/ 2x12 V30
New stuff sucks
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
it's really up to you. as you said, s/h can bring problems. I don't buy this guff that if you buy new you're an idiot. If you're willing to pay more for the peace of mind, that's fair enough. I don't see too many people going round saying you're an idiot for keeping your money in the bank and that you should instead invest in shares, for example. that's analogous, if you ask me- s/h brings more prospective gains, but more prospective pitfalls, and you also have to do your research or you're just asking to be ripped off.

It's a judgement call.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd base it on whether you think you'll be keeping this amp for a long time or not. If this is going to be an amp you keep for the rest of your life, you may as well go ahead and buy it new and make it a 1 owner kind of deal
I fall into the 'buy new" if you can side of the argument. SOmetimes what you want can't be gotten new or you simply can't afford it new. Fair enough then and if you knew the person who owned it and how they treat their equipment even better.
But new gives you warranty which for things like Tube amps can save you a lot of potential problems. A set of tubes for an amp are easily $150 - 200 and with used you could need them sooner than later, especially since tube testers just aren't available at your local Electronic stores anytmore like they were when I was young.

GOtta go! Jeff Beck and his group are playing the RocknRoll Hall of Fame concert on TV! Just caughtthe end of Buddy Guy 's set with them and now Billy Gibbons is on!

Cool!
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
A set of tubes for an amp are easily $150 - 200

Where are you buying tubes?!?!

I've never had a problem with a used amp and I fall into the "buying new is a waste of money" category, unless you're buying something like Shure mics, which have a giant supply of fakes.

In your case though, if you've had that bad of problems in the past, I'd probably buy new, or at least try to buy used from a store so you get some kind of guarantee. Honestly, if you try the amp out first and know what to look for, you shouldn't have any problems. I think you've just had bad luck
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
if you only insist on buying new, you're getting robbed and shooting yourself in the foot. A buyer just has to be smart, and use common sense.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
at one point i would never have considered buying new. now the last amp i bought was new, but discounted 20%. But it's a new model that isn't likely to show up used cheap.

i agree on the 50 watt vintage modern as well. great amp imo.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I forgot to mention, the thing I like about buying used is that if you're buying without trying then you can always sell it again for the same price you bought it
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by MatrixClaw

Where are you buying tubes?!?!

Here in Canada where it $15 -20 for a 12AX7 & $30+ for a 6L6. My little 22W Bravo cost $90! 3 x 12AX7 plus 2 x EL84s.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at May 23, 2010,
Quote by KenG
Here in Canada where it $15 -20 for a 12AX7 & $30+ for a 6L6. My little 22W Bravo cost $90! 3 x 12AX7 plus 2 x EL84s.

Wow, I bought 8 JJ EL-34s for half that a few months ago.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Amps and pedals etc I would prefer to buy new, simply for the warranty, and they're less likely to break on you in the near future. Guitars however I don't mind so much buying used, they're easy enough to check for damage and they're in good working order, and I generally find them easier to repair.
Quote by ILiKePiNeAppLeS
I forgot to mention, the thing I like about buying used is that if you're buying without trying then you can always sell it again for the same price you bought it

buy online, use distance-selling regulations. there's no guarantee you'll get back what you paid for it if you buy used. There is if you buy new without trying it (unless the store goes bust).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by mexican_shred
if you only insist on buying new, you're getting robbed and shooting yourself in the foot. A buyer just has to be smart, and use common sense.

i disagree. it's a judgement call, just like anything else. you can easily get ripped off if you buy new even if you do your research. Especially if the seller is intent on ripping you off.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i disagree. it's a judgement call, just like anything else. you can easily get ripped off if you buy new even if you do your research. Especially if the seller is intent on ripping you off.

which is why i said the buyer has to use common sense. Research, communication and a grounded common sense make a good buyer.

IE. Trying before you buy, buying from someone who has a long long record of being a great seller(meestersparkule on ebay fro example when buying japanese guitars),
Last edited by mexican_shred at May 23, 2010,
Think I'll lay down my 2 cents here:

I bought a bogner alchemist lately, B-stock from a store, and the tubes were dodgy and the thing went out straight away. It took 2 damn weeks to repair, and if it goes out on me again, I'm getting it repaired by a tech or myself.

If I'd bought a second-hand one, then I know there are no immediate problems with it as it has obviously worked for the past year or so.

So there's an argument for both sides.
Quote by mcconnachiea
Think I'll lay down my 2 cents here:

I bought a bogner alchemist lately, B-stock from a store, and the tubes were dodgy and the thing went out straight away. It took 2 damn weeks to repair, and if it goes out on me again, I'm getting it repaired by a tech or myself.

If I'd bought a second-hand one, then I know there are no immediate problems with it as it has obviously worked for the past year or so.

So there's an argument for both sides.

You're using an example where you deliberately bought something that was suspect to begin with. To those posters who call people "fools' or "idiots" for buyng new you come off sounding like you're more upset because maybe you can't afford to. If it's simply that you honeslty feeel you can't justify the money on new for your purposes that's your opinion and your right to think that way. To bash someone elses opinion though is another matter entriely.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at May 23, 2010,
Quote by KenG
You're using an example where you deliberately bought something that was suspect to begin with. To those posters who call people "fools' or "idiots" for buyng new you come off sounding like you're more upset because maybe you can't afford to. If it's simply that you honeslty feeel you can't justify the money on new for your purposes that's your opinion and your right to think that way. To bash someone elses opinion though is another matter entriely.

Not really...

I personally used to be all about buying new, and my first experrience on buying on E-bay was less than perfect(getting sold a LFR rather than OFR, buying warped neck). Usually in GGA we get threads asking about amps for xxx limited budget. Sometimes the person will go i dont want to go used, which is fine for preference, but in the buying gear world you shoot yourself in the foot because you severely cut what you can buy. And if someone wants to get the best they can, then it usually will cut out that choice. Im not calling them idiots of fools, just saying to always buy new can cost a bit of money

ill use an example of my recent expenditures. Over the past year i've been buying recording gear. Over the course of that i have spent 1500 usd on gear thast been bought used or new off ebay/mf/gc used for stuff that sells new for 2500. I dont have 1000 extra USD laying around to pay for it so i ended up getting a deal

edit:also to add to my anecdote, the gear i choose to buy, some of it were steps up from the planned since i bought used.
Last edited by mexican_shred at May 23, 2010,
Quote by mexican_shred
which is why i said the buyer has to use common sense. Research, communication and a grounded common sense make a good buyer.

IE. Trying before you buy, buying from someone who has a long long record of being a great seller(meestersparkule on ebay fro example when buying japanese guitars),

it's pretty hard to try before you buy if you live in a small population centre. And that has its own dangers too.

Feedback etc. can be manipulated too.

Can you minimise the risks if you're super-cautious? Sure. Can you eliminate them completely? No.

EDIT: ^^^yeah buying B-stock doesn't really count as buying new.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 23, 2010,
Quote by mexican_shred
ill use an example of my recent expenditures. Over the past year i've been buying recording gear. Over the course of that i have spent 1500 usd on gear thast been bought used or new off ebay/mf/gc used for stuff that sells new for 2500. I dont have 1000 extra USD laying around to pay for it so i ended up getting a deal

Exactly.

Not to mention that many times, the money you save on buying used, is more than it would cost to repair everything on the unit.

There are, however, many things that are hard to find used, and when they are found, they are very close to the new price tag. Their really isn't much incentive to take the risk in that case, and I'd gladly spend the extra cash for a brand new item and new warranty.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at May 23, 2010,
but again that assumes you have someone close by who can repair stuff for you. A lot of this stuff might work if you live in a big city. A lot of people don't.

And the advice about going used because you have little money goes both ways- you're advising someone to do something riskier because they have less money. That doesn't make much sense to me. That's like advising someone who's dirt poor to buy shares instead of making sure what little money they have is safe.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
it's pretty hard to try before you buy if you live in a small population centre. And that has its own dangers too.

Feedback etc. can be manipulated too.

Can you minimise the risks if you're super-cautious? Sure. Can you eliminate them completely? No.

EDIT: ^^^yeah buying B-stock doesn't really count as buying new.

I've been to shaddy ghetto projects to try gear and yes it had it dangers. Sometimes if the seller tells me they live in X bad area ill say eff it, and not go. But even if you live in a small population center, if you can drive and dont mind paying the extra for the petrol to try it, its a pay off.

Theres more to it than just feedback, theres experience from other trusted people you know or respect. hell those ebay attentuators are a prime example of feedback being manipulative. but a smart buyer knows thats not how attenuators work and disregard feedback.

You can very well make it a sliver of a percent if you buy smart and use caution. It can have as much risk as buying new from a respected store

And im not advocating just buying used, lord knows i buy new things all the time, but for the budget concerned, buying used can end up being smarter.
oh, i'm not saying either that you should always buy new either. Heck if i got a good enough deal on something (and was sure it wasn't so cheap for a reason, lol), i'd go used too. I just don't like the sometimes blanket advice which goes around this place- you need to judge each case on its own merits.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The name of the game is smart buying. And it goes both ways of new and used.
definitely agree with that. you can certainly get ripped off when buying new, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes even with new you need to be aware of the actual price you should be paying, doing research on how whatever it is has been behaving for others (reviews on different sites) etc. An informed buyer is a smart buyer IMO.
Moving on.....
It really depends on the situation. If gear is going for a lot cheaper used, and you can get one in near mint, I wouldn't buy one new.

On the other hand, I have had absolute nightmares repairing used gear that I had THOUGHT appeared to be in mint condition. I'll pretty much buy only pedals on ebay, but do use craigslist for guitars/amps.

The flip side of this is that some new gear also has hidden issues, and it can be a nightmare sorting out warranties and return policies.
Quote by Dave_Mc
buy online, use distance-selling regulations. there's no guarantee you'll get back what you paid for it if you buy used. There is if you buy new without trying it (unless the store goes bust).
Oh yeah, I guess that's true. I tend to go by the thing that someone already said; new for amps, used for guitars
Call me Cahum.

Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
^ i'm always paranoid a used amp will electrocute me

Quote by KenG
Yes even with new you need to be aware of the actual price you should be paying, doing research on how whatever it is has been behaving for others (reviews on different sites) etc. An informed buyer is a smart buyer IMO.

yeah, i've definitely been told a load of guff in guitar shops.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ i'm always paranoid a used amp will electrocute me

yeah, i've definitely been told a load of guff in guitar shops.

Heck yes. I posted yesterday that in one particluar shop the guy working there insisted that (WRT to Gibsons) the terms "weight relieved" and "chambered" meant the same thing! Anyone who can read can go to Gibson's site and the difference is in black & white. On top of that he then insisted that the LP Traditional wasn't weight relieved but solid. Again it's in B&W on spec's page for the Traditional. Had i I not done my reasearch before even heading out to check out the Trads I've might've been fooled by thi supposed "expert" working in a reputable music store.
Moving on.....
yeah, some of the stuff I've been told has been ridiculous. I've been told, with a straight face, that marshalls are the only tube amps you can get any dirt out of. I caught another shop lying to me that a guitar was new when it was second-hand (just by sheer fluke, and as i'd made a long one errand trip i still wasn't best pleased, but obviously was more pleased than if I'd bought the thing and found out later).

I try to do my research before i go, but on the odd occasion where i forget (or the shop has something in stock which I wasn't expecting), you can be sure I'm hitting up the internet the instant I get home, and not listening to what the shop tells me.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at May 23, 2010,
To specifically address TS question...I would definately go used. If you're patient you can pick up a DSL for much less than that too.

I picked up my DSL100 off eBay in February and it cost me £300 on the nose. I have no idea what year (haven't bothered to check) but it's perfectly fine....even still has the original Marshall valves in it Gonna take it to a tech once I've got a better job and he can do all the biasing and stuff for me.

Assuming you're in the UK (as you're speaking in pounds), then for Marshalls especially you're better going used. As they're made in the UK and reasonably priced compared to 5150s, rectos etc. there's loads floating around in the used market.

Oh, and to contribute to the other debate going on....I don't fall into either camp to be honest. There is something said for buying new and knowing that you and only you have ever played that guitar/amp and if I could afford it and was buying gear that I knew I wouldn't be selling on, then I would probably go new. However, I normally buy used because I'm always strapped for cash and am still building my rig so I know that some of these things are gonna get flogged off somewhere down the line.
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, PRS EG3, PRS Santana SE, PRS Tremonti SE, ESP-LTD M-200FM

Acoustics: Maton EM225C, Washburn WD-42S, Ovation Tangent

Amps: Peavey 5150 Mk 1, Randall V2, Marshall JCM2000 DSL100

Cab: Framus FR212
Quote by idiotbox919

Oh, and to contribute to the other debate going on....I don't fall into either camp to be honest. There is something said for buying new and knowing that you and only you have ever played that guitar/amp and if I could afford it and was buying gear that I knew I wouldn't be selling on, then I would probably go new. However, I normally buy used because I'm always strapped for cash and am still building my rig so I know that some of these things are gonna get flogged off somewhere down the line.

exactly, excellent points. It really depends on the type of person you are- I'm not really a seller, and I buy to keep (unless I make a really bad mistake, which can happen), so as such I tend to lean more towards new. If you know there's a good chance you might move it on, then used makes a lot of sense (though it still pays to be careful, you won't be able to move it on if it's broken!).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by KenG

... I bought a matched pair of SED =C=, 2 new production Tung Sol 12AX7 and a gold pin JJ 12AX7 for under $100 shipped.

Wherever you're buying tubes, you're being ripped off big time.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
... I bought a matched pair of SED =C=, 2 new production Tung Sol 12AX7 and a gold pin JJ 12AX7 for under $100 shipped.

Wherever you're buying tubes, you're being ripped off big time.

I bought 3 12AX7's as well plus the 2 EL84s for $90 so I fail to see where you got a better deal there. Of course I have no idea what SED=C= is! I bought my tubes at Guitar Works in Calgary but they were no cheaper really that Long & McQuade.
Moving on.....
Quote by MatrixClaw
Exactly.

Not to mention that many times, the money you save on buying used, is more than it would cost to repair everything on the unit.

There are, however, many things that are hard to find used, and when they are found, they are very close to the new price tag. Their really isn't much incentive to take the risk in that case, and I'd gladly spend the extra cash for a brand new item and new warranty.

I've bought 5 used amps & 2 new in the past 3 1/2 years, all but one from ebay. Used, I got a $3700 Soldano SLO100 for $2475 US (in purple, which is fairly rare, but I wanted it), a $3600 Mojave Scorpion w/ 2X12 Mojave cab for $2200, a rare 1983 blonde Music Man RD50 112, & 2 Fender Princeton 112+ SS amps. I saved $2600 on the first two alone. I've had ZERO PROBLEMS with any of them, not even a bad tube!
I bought a new EVH 5150 III on ebay for $1499, which was $500 cheaper than I could buy it anywhere locally, but the giant footswitch unit didn't work right (the seller got me a new one). To Matrix's point, I shopped for months on ebay trying to find a 65 Soho head, & finally just say screw it, & bought a new one from a local dealer, & paid full pop because I wanted it & was sick of waiting (had already sold the 5150 III by then).
I'll go used whenever I can, & new only as a last resort. You have to screen seller's feedback carefully, but many sellers are regular music stores, & are fairly easy to deal with, & will make things right if something goes wrong.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by KenG
I bought 3 12AX7's as well plus the 2 EL84s for $90 so I fail to see where you got a better deal there. Of course I have no idea what SED=C= is! I bought my tubes at Guitar Works in Calgary but they were no cheaper really that Long & McQuade.

They're one of the best new production EL34s there are. $50 USD for a matched pair usually.

And the JJ gold pin 12AX7 normally goes for 30 USD on its own.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.