Hey guys, just a quick question because Im unclear. Im getting ready to do the clear coat on my newly stained guitar, Ive got a can of spray acrylic which I was thinking of using. I keep hearing of everyone using nitrocellulose laquer. Is there much of a difference between the two? Would I damage the wood by using acrylic? I havnt really seen nitrocellulose in a spray can, Im guessing you can buy it in a tin and thin it down for use in a air compressor spray gun?

Cheers for any help

Chur
Go to the ultimate painting/refinishing thread!
I dont think acrylic will damage the wood. I think that nitro gives a slightly better sound quality, but takes months to harden. Im not exaggerating. Really, months. If you're a tone purist then go for this. If your the average guitarist who wants a guitar this side of christmas then go with acrylic. I dont think the sound advantage is great enough to justify the long hardening time.
But yeh, go to the painting thread, they know much more than me.
I'm pretty sure that the finish affecting tone thing is a myth, Arcylic lacquer will work fine. I think Poly finishes are a very similar thing (if not the same) and I've finished 3 or 4 bodies with acrylic
Quote by minnis
Go to the ultimate painting/refinishing thread!

This.

Reported for close. Read the first several post, then ask any painting questions there.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.