I've been looking around for a good combo for a while now, but I haven't been able to to find one on the the internet that has good reviews. I'm looking for something that is around 30-100watts that would be great for many styles in particular, blues, classic rock, modern and metal in small doses. I doesn't have to be a tube combo, I just thought I'd give one a try. It does nave to not cross my budget of USD$600 though and still sound great. Can anyone help me? Thank you in advance.
SG
Peavey Classic 30?

First amp I thought of.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
have a look at the blackstar ht 40, whilst it's $100 it is a very good amp, and is very versatile
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo !!! I bought one yesteday. I played it for about 4 to 5 hours right out of the box. You can get a really dirty blues sound on the clean channel with the crunch on and the pregain turned up. On the overdrive channel you can get very close to the VH1 sound. Great harmonics. Great sound. Awesome pwer at low levels. It has seperate post gain controls for each channel. So you can balance them and switch between them with out any volume difference. At 60 watts it has the ability to drive everybody out of the house if you want to. I got a live wire footswitch for it. It is almost seamless. It has external speaker outputs for and additional cabinet. It also has an effects loop.
A peavey vypyr 75Watt with the Sanpera 2 footswitch is very nice. It has a wide range of onbourd effects and amp sounds. I also use it for a bedroom amp. But it will crank up just fine as well. You have to experiment with the Vypyr because of all the features it has. I really like it. It can take you through the whole spectrum of music. The onboard effects are really cool and they are fun to just discover all the different sounds you can create. I originally had the Sanpera 1 footswitch but the Sanpera 2 is the only way to go.
I have had no problems with the vypye and I have had it abou a year and a half. If you get the Vypyr and the Sanpera 2 I can tell you how to get the most out of the footswitch.
I bought the 6506+ because I wanted the tube feeling of the amp.
Quote by ckr1231
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo !!!

What?

You just recommended a high gain, metal-oriented amp for someone who only wants metal IN SMALL DOSES!
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty

What?

You just recommended a high gain, metal-oriented amp for someone who only wants metal IN SMALL DOSES!

+1 People on this forum tend to do that alot
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
but i use a 5150 combo for classic rock and modern rock and it sounds great...

not so much blues and cleans though
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
Best for value and versatility is the rather surprising Hiwatt HG50 combo. Not sure what they cost in USA but taking UK price, less VAT and the current exchange rate, should be around your target. I tried the head and cheap 4x12 recently and I was blown away with the sound. Cleans to rival a Fender but warmer. Just right for blues and clean rock stuff. Hit the gain channel and its a match for anything at that end, too. Delicious warm distortion. Add in the Hiwatt quality and durability and I for one would look at nothing else for a gigging amp right now.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Check out any Traynor amps man. I would recommend the YCV50blue, as I own it. Really awesome for any blues or classic rock, has amazing cleans. Probably one of the best lower power tube amps you can buy. Also it's blue.
Last edited by Erik_Aero at May 23, 2010,
peavey classic 30, with od pedal for metal
blackstar ht-20/40
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
+1 on traynor ycv or peavey classic 30
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
+2 on the YCV50 Blue. A classic 30 would work too but tonewise i like the traynor better.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
With a vypyr or the 6505+ I can get most all classic rock tones. If it true classic rock you want. It would need to be a Marshall or a Fender amp.
^^ i haven't tried the 50, but yeah, i prefer the ycv40 to the classic 30. Don't see why the 50 would be any different. might be slightly over budget, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^^ i haven't tried the 50, but yeah, i prefer the ycv40 to the classic 30. Don't see why the 50 would be any different. might be slightly over budget, though.

I think $650 ish. But there are always sales and coupons, price matching etc to get it down to reality. I've seen them used for as little as $400-450.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
yeah, i mean if you're willing to go to $600, and there's something far better for $650, you're pretty daft if you don't stretch (unless you have a really good reason). And as you say, coupons etc. and you're probably under $600.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Peavey Classic 30, Fender Hot Rod, Traynor YCV50: all good options.

I also wouldn't count out the Vox AC15. They're loud and would serve your needs incredibly well.