how can i write better chord progressions. i know plenty of chords but i can never thnk of a good pattern or anythng to put any togeather and the ones i come up with are so simple they would have been done a thousand times. is there any tips anyone can give me to help start or any guides peole know of. i play rock not heavy stuff but not soft classic rock. stuff like green day, acdc, sum 41 that sorta stuff. should i play with chords or power chords??
why not use both chords and power chords?
The main thing that makes chord progressions sound boring are how the relate to the scale.
eg. I IV I V IV I, is a very standard one, blues i think? In one of my recent compositions, i did somthing similar to that progression, but instead i chose chords I III I V(flat) IV. That flat 5 aloowed me to do some wicked diminshed stuff over it.

Then the next thing is phrasing, not keeping all the chord lengths the same is a big one.

Then next is how u play the chord, arpeggiate it, turn it into an alberti bass kind thing?

Then comes the tone of the chord, play it loud or soft?

And now you should be on ur way to making an interesting progression.

If in doubt, i look at the guitar pro fretboard with all teh notes in the scale on it, and try to make up some chords, it's a long method, but u get chords u never thought of doing.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Quote by Paul014
stuff like green day, acdc, sum 41 that sorta stuff.

If you try to sound like boring repetitive bands you'll sound boring and repetitive, using the same chord progression with power chords over and over.
If you try to sound like boring repetitive bands you'll sound boring and repetitive, using the same chord progression with power chords over and over.

+1
Quote by goodolcola

+ 2

why would you bother trying to come up with an original sounding progression if the guys your trying to sound like don't?
Quote by goodolcola

+3
Quote by 100%
Follow the circle of fifths

It's already been done: Hey Joe - Jimi Hendrix
Guthrie Govan = Guitar Genius
Quote by Paul014
the ones i come up with are so simple they would have been done a thousand times

If you can find anything that hasn't been done before I will give you all of the money I earn in my entire life.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Paul014
how can i write better chord progressions. i know plenty of chords but i can never thnk of a good pattern or anythng to put any togeather and the ones i come up with are so simple they would have been done a thousand times. is there any tips anyone can give me to help start or any guides peole know of. i play rock not heavy stuff but not soft classic rock. stuff like green day, acdc, sum 41 that sorta stuff. should i play with chords or power chords??

everything that you do will have been done more than a thousand times, i guarantee it. i tend to play with more power chords and variations of power chords, but i sometimes will give in and use the full chord. one more thing, chord progressions don't really matter a whole lot. they're usually hidden under vocals or a sick solo, so all you gotta do is learn how to HARMONIZE with whatever key you're in and you'll do fine.