Is there any scale out there that surf music is based on? anything to improvise from?
Whats with the multiple scale threads?

The major scale.

Sometimes with accidentals.
Miserlou by Dick Dale and the Del-Tones is the only surfy type song that uses an unusual scale that I can think of right now. From memory it's the Hungarian scale?

Otherwise they're pretty standard, employing major/minor/penatonic scales, like the majority of songs.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Miserlou uses the double harmonic scale. Think of it as the regular harmonic scale with an extra step between the second and third scale degrees.

In the key of E, the notes are E, F, G#, A, B, C, D#.

Dick Dale is the king of surf music, so check out his stuff. I think the pentatonic scale works too, I believe that a lot of The Beach Boys stuff uses it.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
just tremolo pick shit and you'll be fine.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
and don't forget to surf.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.
I read a quote once that said something along the lines of "surf music is about sounding as bizarre as possible" i think reference to the melodies. Really major and minor scales with unexpected accidentals thrown in. Its usually based off of a blues-like progression.
i always say this in these types of threads, but ultimately genres are divided more by rhythms and timbre than note choices.
#DTWD