Look, heres the situation...... I was in a band, several months ago, we were sounding very well, and have a great time...... but then, the band fell apart because we had a problem with the skills o f the drummer (he was crap) but he was lead guitarists little brother..... (I played keyboards in this band)...... So, we had an argument, and I and the vocalist/rythm guitarist left the band and set up our own band..... we found a very good drummer, I took over the rythm guitar, my friend the lead, (although I pla the solos, because he isnt skilled enough on this issue).... But we had a problem, we couldn find a proper bassist, so we invited the basiist from our former band, who also took over the vocals...... we have been doing pretty well since then, and never had a problem, but we were offered to perform a gig at our school, at the end of the school year..... we happily accepted, but our former band are also going to play in this gig...... Actually, it is the "RIVAL BAND", they found a singer and continued, after we left...... The thing is that our bassist/vocalist (and also bassist of the rival band) is acting very strangely, after we accepted the gig..... He cancels the rehearsals, he gets bored within half an hour or so, he never hangs out with us, he no longer bring ideas for new songs or covers, he even cannot rememeber the words of some songs (or pretend so)....... He acts like we are not his band, and he obviously has a problem with the two bands he is in, and it seems like he is trying to sabotage us, and help his other band look "cool" and stuff, although he knows that we are better by far.... So, what shall we do??/ shall we kick him out????? or shall we stay with him and ingnore his acts???
are there any other bassists? Or any other great vocalists? If the basslines are pretty easy get one of the best singers you can and teach him how to play bass at the same time. Kick out this poser mofo...
We are in a remoted area, and there are no other bassists, only guitarists, because everybody pays attention to the guitar...... the thing is that his voice IS great, and he matches our sound perfectly, his basslines are very easy, everybody can play them, but he is also a really good friend of mine, although now we are not so close, he is a good friend.......
You.......... Should............ Kick............... The............. ****er............ Out............ Also........... Devide.......... Your........... Text............... Into............ Paragraphs.........

kthxbai.
Im not really in a band or have no band experience, but it does sound like he is not interested and has no motivation with your band. I agree with others and kick him. I dunno where you live but I doubt he is the only bass player in your area. Alternatively, have you tried talking to him?
Quote by GezzyDiversion
Sadokun: Eating cardboard never tasted this good!

Quote by Otis Lee Crenshaw
Billy Ray Cyrus? Billy Ray Cyrus is about as f****** country as a bag of f****** wet mice, alright?
Switch back, so you're doing vocals again, and either...
a) let the bassist just do bass, or...
b) kick the bassist out of the band.

Trust me, bassists aren't essential. A lot of the people there, unless they are musicians themselves, won't notice that it's missing.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
I think that you have to look at the band as more of a business. Playing in a band is a job and like any job, someone not doing it well needs to be replaced. Sure, you are just playing at a school now, but what happens if you have a gig that someone important will be at? Would you throw away possibly getting noticed by a record label just to not feel bad about kicking your friend out? If he is as good of a friend as you say, I'm sure he will understand.
trust me, talking to him is not the best idea, he gets angry pretty easily and if we bring up the topic of his skills in the bass, or even though his "loyalty" in the band, he would quit himslef.......
tl;dr
My You'll be the Baddest Dude in Revere!

My Gear:
-Fender Mexican Stratocaster
-Silvertone Paul Stanley Signature Acoustic
-Fender Princeton 65w
-DOD Death Metal
We live in a small island of Greece, there are no other bassists at all...... If we kick him out, we would not have the opportunity to replace him....... Also, a guy from a record label listened to one of our songs, and thought it was pretty good, and he said we might have future in this business..... However, the bassist would be a problem if we, in fact, try to persuade a carreer..... But, we have no alternatives...... it is a dead end.....

Sorry for my bad english.....
The problem here is you have a band member who is uninterested in being in a band, kick him out plain and simple.

When you have problems like this with a band member just tell them you don't need them.when you put up with their thrash then they will get big headed and think that you need them and then they will keep acting this way, which will do nothing but hold you back.

You mite not be able to play some gigs but its better then getting on stage and sucking because some one isn't pulling their weight.
If it is a GOOD record label then the rep will likely understand that crap members hold a band back. if it is just some guy who owns a studio and tiny independent label then screw him he does not matter. There is no more room for new labels in rock music.
Quote by Mr.Feather
Switch back, so you're doing vocals again, and either...
a) let the bassist just do bass, or...
b) kick the bassist out of the band.

Trust me, bassists aren't essential. A lot of the people there, unless they are musicians themselves, won't notice that it's missing.

I would hesitate taking advice from someone who doesnt understand what bass does in a band.

Everyone had already said it, talk to him. There is no magic way to solve the situation (unless you know some magic).
Now with New and Improved Signature
Quote by ThanasisR21
trust me, talking to him is not the best idea, he gets angry pretty easily and if we bring up the topic of his skills in the bass, or even though his "loyalty" in the band, he would quit himslef.......

Wait, did you say this was your band or his band?
Actually, my band....... The guy was from a, I would say, medium label....... Surely not a major one, but they also have other upcoming rock?metal bands, and like to promote this kind of music..... The fact that, we have no alternatives in his position, is holding back the band, otherwise, we woud kick him out...... but with no bassist, things are hard......
Quote by goodlifebadlife
I would hesitate taking advice from someone who doesn't understand what bass does in a band.

Everyone had already said it, talk to him. There is no magic way to solve the situation (unless you know some magic).

Nope it is very true, people who are not musicians rarely hear the bass in the song, and talking is NOT the best option, the guy has his head too far up his ass to listen so he has to go! Plain and simple.
Quote by ThanasisR21

Regardless of anger I think you will have to bite the bullet and talk to him. Just talk one on one away from the other band members so he doesnt feel ganged up upon or threatened. If he still does not get himself together then kick him.

If there are no bass players, why dont you pick up the bass? You play the guitar so some aspects can be transfered from there to bass (Yeah I know they are 2 different instruments, I said some not all).

Another interesting thought came to my head, I remember reading somewhere that someone suggested to use an octave effect pedal to get a bass-like sound out of the guitar. Dont know much about effect pedals but if there are tonnes of guitarists about you could look into that. I could be wrong all about that though
Quote by GezzyDiversion
Sadokun: Eating cardboard never tasted this good!

Quote by Otis Lee Crenshaw
Billy Ray Cyrus? Billy Ray Cyrus is about as f****** country as a bag of f****** wet mice, alright?
Emm, for me to take over the bass is not going to work, because the other guitarist has little or no skill on playing solos, so it is essential for me to play the guitar, and I have to admit, I am not into the bass very much....... As for the pedals, I dont know, maybe I should ask..... But even If me or the other guitarist took over the bass, and kick the bassist out..... we would still have to find a new singer because we all suck on singing, and of courde, the one that will take over the bass, would actually, have to buy one (we are not very flexible, financially) and also learn the basslines of about 20 songs in very little time, as our gig is on 19th June........
Quote by ThanasisR21
We live in a small island of Greece, there are no other bassists at all...... If we kick him out, we would not have the opportunity to replace him....... Also, a guy from a record label listened to one of our songs, and thought it was pretty good, and he said we might have future in this business..... However, the bassist would be a problem if we, in fact, try to persuade a carreer..... But, we have no alternatives...... it is a dead end.....

Have you advertised for a bass player, asked all your musician friends if they know any bass players, considered switching to bass and getting another guitarist in the band, considered replacing the bassist with a keyboard player (Like the Doors had)?

Another thing to consider, if you want to make a career of this band, you are invariably going to have to leave the island, simply because staying there will be limiting business wise, so have you considered looking for a bassist on the mainland?
Yes, of course we would have to leave the island, but we have to earn some experience first, in order to know if we want to persuade a carreer, or if we are good enough to earn money from this band for a living...... Then, we would be much more flexible in our moves, it would be much more easy to kick out indefferent members, but, until then.......
Quote by Zayrank
Nope it is very true, people who are not musicians rarely hear the bass in the song, and talking is NOT the best option, the guy has his head too far up his ass to listen so he has to go! Plain and simple.

It is not true. The average person might not be able to tell you which instrument those sounds are coming from, and mightn't even be able to conciously pick up on the notes, but the average person can tell if a band sounds crap, and without a bass the band will sound crap.

TS, the best option is to speak to the bassist. Don't put him in a corner and don't directly tell him what to do. In a band, people skills are very important. Talk to him, privately and in person, and tell him about your concerns. If he flips out, don't engage him and be friendly the whole time. He might get over it later and you want him to feel welcome back in the band.

If he decides to leave, swallow your pride and play the bass yourself. What's more important, playing solos, or playing live at all?

What ever happens, you shouldn't have to put up with his crap anymore. If he acts like this once, he'll do it again. Start advertising for a new singer and bass player, ask around, etc. It's, er, not neccessary that he finds out that you're looking for a replacement

Good luck!
Thanks everybody for the advice and the help....... it is not about me playing the solos..... I play the solos because the lead guitarist simply cant...... I just dont have the money to buy a bass and time to get into it........ However, thanks for the advice, we are discussing this theme with the rest of my band, and we have to reach a solution quickly because our gig approaches and there are also other offers for playing gigs throughout the summer, so we have to deal with this, soon.......Hopefully, he will get more into it, and actually, improve his skills at bass a little......
If he plays badly then it just makes him look crap surely?
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Weird stuff here. What exactly is a RIVAL band? You guys should just put aside differences, team up and get gigs together if there's common people in each band that know eachother. Would you think that Megadeth would refuse to play a double-gig with Metallica? No they wouldn't. In fact they are touring Europe this year together, with Slayer and Anthrax. It'll be sold out every time too.

Next, bassists are essential to bands. It's guitars which are the least essential in the average band setting.

The bassist has issues. Even if he's a great musician, it doesn't sound like he wants to be part of the band. Talk to him about it, if his behaviour continues, kick him.

And try to focus on the music in a band, not all this other silly social stuff.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
elipsis much?

just tell him to stop messing around. tell him to get his act together, or leave.
Quote by Zayrank

I would disagree. My parents are complete musical morons and they can hear me play bass. It depends on how much your bass sticks out. I stick out a lot since I'm in a 4 piece. 1 guitar, 1 bass, 1 drummer, 2 vocals . You can always here me coming trough the mix, and people who don't understand music often always tell me how cool my bass lines are.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10