I thought i would make a thread on some tips and advice on how to make a logo in the vein of traditional Black Metal

Here are some examples

I am trying to create a logo for my band and i'm interested in hearing some advice and tips from some of you budding concept art artists out there

I'll also be creating a sort of '' guide '', created from tips and such from the users on this site and anything else that i deem useful

Contribute your ideas and anything that you deem useful in the creation of the most uber kvlt and Gr1m logo out there!
Discuss
Last edited by ShredHead396 at May 23, 2010,
A good logo is just one that stands out and isnt too fussy, no need to have it as a 'traditional black metal logo' like. But a thread on artwork and logo art would be nice, dont think weve had many of them before.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.
Be as unintelligible as possible. Put a shitload of inverted crosses, pentagrams, occult symbols, some 666s, maybe some swastikas. The curvier the better.

Or you know, an old english font.

lstfm

I'm a Nazi, baby
I'm a Nazi, yes I am
I'm a Nazi schatzi, you know I'll fight for the Fatherland
Last edited by The Wildchild at May 23, 2010,
I do logos, and when it comes to black metal I think anything goes, just symmetry plays a big part (for me at least). Here are a few logos I've done:

The God Eater Complex - This one I tried to look absolutely filthy, and I wanted the shape to resemble something parasitic, like a tick or something.

And this one is based off the typical blackletter/english font. Its more legible because of the shadows and all that, but the symmetry is still there.

And this one, which I made with the intent of making it look like wings (though it resembles the batman symbol a little too much...), its kind of a mix between death and black metal, due to the tendrils and stuff.
^ I take it those were photoshopped and not freehand, would you be able to share with us the root of your inspiration and the creation of such an monstrosity?

I am going for a mix of the Naglfar logo and your God Eater Complex design, perhaps you could aid me with a little advice, since i am going to be designing mine freehand
Quote by ShredHead396
^ I take it those were photoshopped and not freehand, would you be able to share with us the root of your inspiration and the creation of such an monstrosity?

I am going for a mix of the Naglfar logo and your God Eater Complex design, perhaps you could aid me with a little advice, since i am going to be designing mine freehand

Well, all of mine were a mix of freehand, premade fonts, and photoshop magic. I have a tablet, so everything hand drawn is actually already digital, making it worlds easier for me to work. I hand drew the Convulsia letters (last logo), and then made one shape for one side of the wing, copied, and pasted on the other side. For the second logo, the tada cuda one, I took your standard blackletter font, used Adobe Illustrator to move the basic points around to figure out where everything goes, and then hand drew one side of the little flourish you see behind it, and copied and pasted on the other side.

For the god eater complex, it was the easiest for me, especially with my tablet hooked up. I just got a decent sized brush, like 20+, and drew the letters, but kind of zig zagged/twitchy. Then I warped, arched, and filled it out in photoshop, and added the glow and all that once done.

Quote by Keth
Jeebus Insideac, that TGEC logo looks insane, nice work!

Thanks alot! I took alot of inspiration from ticks, mites, and HP lovecraft monsters that look otherwordly, like the Crawling Chaos, Azathoth, etc
Last edited by insideac at May 23, 2010,
So what programs would you recomend for a budding designer to download, and is there any other useful equipment one could purchase in their quest of ultra Kvltness?
Quote by ShredHead396
So what programs would you recomend for a budding designer to download, and is there any other useful equipment one could purchase in their quest of ultra Kvltness?

If you are looking to look tr00 and kvtl, just hand draw it, scan it, and color it . But if you want something thatll look polished, digital, and easily manageable, I highly suggest downloading the Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator trails. Illustrator is great because its specially for vector images, which are images that don't get fuzzy/distorted no matter how big or small you make them. Photoshop is better for editing the image and photo manipulation, usually after youre done with the logo and want to add glows/effects/texture/whatever.

The tablet, you shouldnt buy since you are only going to do this one logo, but its helped me alot. Just draw it on paper, with a pencil drawing light guidelines, or use a grid paper with the blue lines. Then, draw over the finalized logo with a black marker/pen and scan it or have a friend scan it!

EDIT: I've only been doing this for a few months, and my portfolio is extremely tiny, so we are both budding designers

EDIT 2: Oh, if you want a free version of Photoshop, download GIMP. It does everything photoshop does, but completely free.
Last edited by insideac at May 23, 2010,
Shit's amazing.
My band: Iconic Vivisect

Quote by madbasslover
I think what we can all take away from this is that people should be allowed to listen to whatever they want to as long as we're all the same religion.
insideac, should I ever need a logo for a band of mine, I'll be sure to contact you.
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
Quote by we_built_a_tree
insideac, should I ever need a logo for a band of mine, I'll be sure to contact you.

Hey, thanks alot man! Hope to hear from you

Also, TS, can you please not use any of this in the alleged "guide" you are trying to make? No offense or anything but I don't think I count as qualified to tell anyone how to do this
Quote by insideac

Thanks alot! I took alot of inspiration from HP lovecraft monsters that look otherwordly, like the Crawling Chaos, Azathoth, etc

The moon beasts!
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Obvious bump

I tried copying a few logos down today but i really didn't do well at all, does anyone have any advice on how to make your own BM logo?
Quote by insideac
And this one is based off the typical blackletter/english font. Its more legible because of the shadows and all that, but the symmetry is still there.

Legible?

So I'm meant to think it says 'Taxi Goat?'

Not black metal but this is one amazing logo
Quote by PwarDuex
your name is about as funny as a burning orphanage

Quote by Butt Rayge
Legible?

So I'm meant to think it says 'Taxi Goat?'

Taxkrrkrkkrkxkrxagroat!
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.