I'm looking at getting a cheap multieffects unit maybe. I'm a little skeptical though. I have decent gear right now which I'd like to use for Post-rock, experimental, and ambient stuff. Problem is in these genres, effects are practically a must, and I don't have much money. The big things that I am really looking for are a delay, looper, maybe a reverb (my amp has one but it's not very strong), and a volume pedal. My problem is that I don't have a lot of money.

I've heard that the Danelectro FAB echo's are fairly simple to mod into good delay units. Any input on this?

Also, a volume pedal may not be necessary if it is possible to do volume swells with the knob on my guitar. I'm not very good at it right now, so I was wondering how well it would work compared to a volume pedal.

On a side note, what are some ways in which I could use a metal slide for ambient effects. I'd love to get an Ebow or something but they are too expensive for me at the moment.

And lastly, what are some chords (like 7th m7 9th diminshed, etc.) or scales that would be nice to use for this type of music?

Thanks
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
What's your budget for pedals? I wouldn't go for the Dano pedals minus the Cool Cat series (though a couple of the "food" ones are decent).

For a cheap, versatile delay I'd look at the Marshall Echohead delay. I'm not sure about the US but over here they go for about £30 used.

EDIT: Playing slide with a bunch of effects should work good for ambient stuff. Drenched in reverb or delay it should sound pretty awesome.
You can do delay and reverb with a used Alesis Midiverb (50 bucks) but you'll need to get a separate footswitch... or you could do delay and loop with an Akai Headrush and get a Digitech Digiverb, and get an Ernie Ball volume pedal.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I don't have an exact budget but delay would be the first thing I would look at getting if I don't get a multi-effects unit. I looked up that Marshall delay and they go for about $100 around here. I could get a Boss delay cheaper than that if I looked. I guess a proposed budget would be $60 US. I'm willing to go used, and it doesn't have to be very high quality. Just something that sounds and works decent and will last awhile.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
If money's an issue, the first thing to go should be the volume pedal. They can suck tone and really your guitar already has one (or maybe two). The other effects are harder to replace or work around so concentrate on them first. Delay can be good, looping is extreme delay and only worth it if you use it, standard delays can often give plenty of repeats and over enough time for mini-fill ins.
Too bad about your amps reverb though, it's usually a decent built in effect on amps (what model by the way?),
Danelectro are more quirky than quality, same for EHX stuff, they've always been cheap, noisy and a little cheesy which can be OK if that's what you're after.
Moving on.....
Quote by Raijouta
You can do delay and reverb with a used Alesis Midiverb (50 bucks) but you'll need to get a separate footswitch... or you could do delay and loop with an Akai Headrush and get a Digitech Digiverb, and get an Ernie Ball volume pedal.

I was just looking at an Alesis quadraverb, my friend has one. But thats rackmount am I right? How would a footswitch work with it? And would it be alright just to set it on the ground or on top of the amp? (in a place where nobody would step on it)

The Akai headrush looks nice as well. How often do you see them up for that cheap on eBay and such?
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by KenG
If money's an issue, the first thing to go should be the volume pedal. They can suck tone and really your guitar already has one (or maybe two). The other effects are harder to replace or work around so concentrate on them first. Delay can be good, looping is extreme delay and only worth it if you use it, standard delays can often give plenty of repeats and over enough time for mini-fill ins.
Too bad about your amps reverb though, it's usually a decent built in effect on amps (what model by the way?),
Danelectro are more quirky than quality, same for EHX stuff, they've always been cheap, noisy and a little cheesy which can be OK if that's what you're after.

I have a Fender Frontman 25r. It has a reverb that sounds very nice to my ears, but it isn't very strong. The amp may have something wrong with it though. Every now and then when I play into it, notes come out with a sound that sounds like a mechanical buzz. Almost like fret buzz. But it happens with all of my guitars so I am going to make the assumption that something is wrong with the amp. I'm not really sure what to do about it though.
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
The Midiverb is rackmount, yes; it's alright to put it on top of the amp, that's what I do. They go for 50 bucks all day every day, pretty much... and as for the footswitch, it has a dedicated footswitch jack in addition to the MIDI capabilities it already has. You can set the footswitch up to either bypass (turn the effect on or off) cycle up and down through your presets, or work as a tap tempo.

As for EHX stuff being quirky rather than quality... no. Their stuff is very highly regarded, particularly the more expensive stuff like the Deluxe Memory Man, HOG and POG, but I'll grant that they have some weird pedals and some of the cheaper pedals aren't terribly nice (the #1 Echo, for instance).
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Would any footswitch work for the Midiverb? Also, There are people around me selling a Korg G3 and a DOD Tec8. I was wondering if anybody had experience with them as they are only $40 and look interesting.

How are the Alesis products? How does the quadraverb compare to the midiverb? Also, would I be able to run my Casio CTK-451 (keyboard) into it?
Ibanez RG270
Switch Wild I
Strat Copy

ProCo Rat Vintage RI
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz
Danelectro DJ-6 Phaser
Quote by Raijouta
The Midiverb is rackmount, yes; it's alright to put it on top of the amp, that's what I do. They go for 50 bucks all day every day, pretty much... and as for the footswitch, it has a dedicated footswitch jack in addition to the MIDI capabilities it already has. You can set the footswitch up to either bypass (turn the effect on or off) cycle up and down through your presets, or work as a tap tempo.

As for EHX stuff being quirky rather than quality... no. Their stuff is very highly regarded, particularly the more expensive stuff like the Deluxe Memory Man, HOG and POG, but I'll grant that they have some weird pedals and some of the cheaper pedals aren't terribly nice (the #1 Echo, for instance).

I meant the Danelectro is more quirky & EHX cheap actually. But if you were around in the seventies when ElectroHarmonix came out you'd know they were nowhere near the best quality & pretty cheap to buy, I owned the Graphic EQ and Phaser (Small Stone IIRC)! They're now revived by another maker but some of the designs are still from the 70's & that includes the Deluxe Memory Man which is also from the 70's. So I think "highly regarded" is somewhat subjective.
Moving on.....
Quote by Polystant

I've heard that the Danelectro FAB echo's are fairly simple to mod into good delay units. Any input on this?

the danelectro fab echo mod that i know is done by a guy named Nate Williams. He goes by knives 490 on the ATPR forum and has a blog called Stargazer FX. the mod basically consists in increasing the delay time. he can take it up to 5 seconds, and the repeats at that point are very degraded. a lo fi delay, so to speak. the pedal is 15 bucks new on MF and the mod is around 35.

the link for the modded fab echo's page:
http://stargazerfx.blogspot.com/2010/04/stargazer-fx-modded-fab-echo-2.html

and for volume swells only, a cheap alternative to the ebow would be the behringer sm300, but lots of people hate behringer. anyway, pair it w/ a shifter/harmonist or an octavia pedal for some weirdness.

hope that helps .