I wanted to upload a solo of West Coast Blues by Wes Montgomery. The solo I would be playing would be original, however the backing track is by Wolf Marshall from his Wes Montgomery Signature licks book. I realize this should be posted in Covers sub forum but there are not many people there and I would like to try and record this evening. Thank You!
MARTY FRIEDMAN--"It’s a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think it’s a lot more rare to have someone who’s really got their own sound because that’s something you can’t practice."
So long as you cite the creator of the backing track it's fine; you're reproducing your solo, which is an original work, the use of the track falls under the concept of "fair use" in this case, and any copyright suit would be likely to fail. So just say you're using it under "fair use".
Thank you MiG_853 for that fast and educated response. Just out of curiosity, would it still be fair use If I played the original solo?
MARTY FRIEDMAN--"It’s a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think it’s a lot more rare to have someone who’s really got their own sound because that’s something you can’t practice."
That would depend in the context you use it, if you're performing to show your level or skill, it'd still be ok because you're using it for non-profit reasons, and it has an educational value. But then the issue would be with the author of the solo, and not the guy that recorded the backing track, who also owes rights to the author....

Little recordings for personal use, to show skill are usually fine, you don't affect their copyright negatively. Just cite everything and you'll be fine.
aaaaand wrong. That response was NOT educated or correct. Sorry to be a dick about it, but that is illegal. Copyright isn't about citing the original owner or even considered 'positive' or 'negative' it's straight up someone else's property, and you're using it illegally. If you're going to put the clip online or distribute it in any way other than having it on your computer and showing it to friends and family from your home pc, then it is illegal and no amount of credit can make it legal, you must get written permission to use it, usually obtained from a publisher (for a price).

Cover songs are still violations of copyright, tv and radio are public, yes, but so is any kind of live show that takes place anywhere other than a learning institution. Whether or not you make money, it's still violation. Do your homework, these are all myths about copyright.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
That's why there's millions of covers on YouTube of people playing songs and nothing is done?

I think alot of people would be in court right now if playing someone's track was a serious issue, not to mention even UG allows people to upload covers hence the fact they have an ENTIRE SECTION for critiquing people's covers of songs.

I think musicians are a bit too busy to worry about some kid playing one of their tracks.

Get over it.
Quote by TechnicolorType
That's why there's millions of covers on YouTube of people playing songs and nothing is done?

I think alot of people would be in court right now if playing someone's track was a serious issue, not to mention even UG allows people to upload covers hence the fact they have an ENTIRE SECTION for critiquing people's covers of songs.

I think musicians are a bit too busy to worry about some kid playing one of their tracks.

Get over it.

I agree - that's not a worry to them - besides it ain't like he's recording a commercial song using a backing track for Gawds sake...
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Exactly. Now, if the backing track happens to be the original song's backing track and not a re-made version then it's a little different but even then it's still pretty acceptable and is done all over the place.

No need to scare this guy when all he wants to do is upload a solo. Sheesh.
No one is going to take him to court because he's improvising over another song and uploading it to YouTube or UG.
I didn't say anyone would do anything about it, I just stated the fact that it is illegal. All of those youtube covers are illegal, and when people write 'no infringement intended' they are actually making it even LESS legal by acknowledging that they are performing a copyrighted song.

I just wanted to clarify that it is NOT legal, like you offered as a fact (which it was not) to TS. I could care less whether or not he does it, and it most likely won't be an issue, but it's still illegal.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
I know that some sites such as Dmusic (are they still around?) actually pay some sort of licensing fee to the RIAA (or someone) to allow them to legally host covers. I dont know the full laws surrounding everything are, but i would assume that if someone out there is paying a license fee, to not do so is wrong.

it may be that the fee the Russians pay to be able to legally host tabs in Russisa also cover them in this case as well.
Quote by TechnicolorType
Don't you mean you couldn't care less?

No, I could care less but I'm making the effort to give a crap so I can explain the law to you. Don't get upset because you made a fool out of yourself, just let it go.

UG may pay licensing fees, but when you upload music you have to check that box that it's not copyrighted music, which includes backing tracks and covers, not just original master tracks that some people upload (for whatever reason). I'm not sure if the licensing fee covers the forum and not profiles, or neither, but either way it isn't legal to upload that music (again, whether or not you get caught or anyone cares, that's a different story).
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
You're the one who's getting all worked up over a kid wanting to post a cover song.
and it's k, I know you meant you couldn't care less. It's a common mistake made by hundreds of people to say they could when they meant couldn't. No need to try and pretend it was intentional otherwise you could have just said "I care."