I've been struggling with finding what will hopefully be my last guitar for some time now. I ended up returning an ESP LTD EC-401 because the guitar had a few issues and overall the neck was too thin for my tastes. I have narrowed my search to the following 3, and could use some help deciding. I have looked for these in stores but can't find them, so I'm going to have to order online (which I'm ok with). I want a metal guitar with high output pickups, tuned to D or Drop C. All That Remains, Killswitch, Children of Bodom...stuff like that.

-Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy EX:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Prophecy-Custom-EX-Electric-Guitar-?sku=515618

Why? My Gibson Les Paul Traditional is my favorite guitar by far. I love the shape, the feel, everything about it, but it stays tuned 1/2 step down. It gets flubby in D or drop C. Question about the prophecy, can someone tell me how this neck compares to a regular Les Paul? I like em baseball bat thick. I'm hoping this isnt thin like the ESP was. The other concern I have with this guitar is the scale only being 24.75. I've never liked a 24.75 guitar tuned to D or Drop C as I think they always sound too mushy, but I've never put really heavy strings on either (nothing more than light top heavy bottoms). For this, I would try Ernie ball Beefy's (11-54). I love the black flame maple as well.

-Schecter C-1 Blackjack ATX:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Guitar-Research-BlackJack-ATX-C1-Electric-Guitar?sku=515764

Why? I had a Schecter hellraiser C-1 FR, and other than the floyd, I really liked it. Good neck, sounded good with the 25.5 neck. I still prefer my LP shape better, but this was good. I didnt like the inlays, so I like the blackjack much more than hellraiser from that standpoint. I'm also curious to try something other than EMG's. I like EMG's, but I have never loved them.

-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser Special
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-SCE-HRSP-LIST?SRC=D0407FG0HAMS0000&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&

This guitar hasnt been released yet, but I like it for similar reasons to the other hellraiser, and I like the dagger inlays more than the regular hellraiser inlays. It also comes in black flame maple which I really like. It is cheaper than the other guitars as well. I'd have to wait until mid July at earlies for this though.

Thanks for any help you guys can give. Right now I'm really not sure which way to go, one day I really want the Epiphone, the next the Blackjack or Special.
Last edited by GuitarDTO at May 23, 2010,
All those those have a form of active pickups..I'd go for the Schecter personally but why not try another version of the epi w/o actives? There are high output humbuckers that are passives. Check out seymourduncan.com
Quote by psyguitarist
All those those have a form of active pickups..I'd go for the Schecter personally but why not try another version of the epi w/o actives? There are high output humbuckers that are passives. Check out seymourduncan.com

I'd consider a guitar with passives, but since all I'm mainly going to do with this guitar is riff/chugga/heavy music I figured something with actives would be right up my alley. Clean is not a concern either for the most part. I'm really hoping to choose between one of these 3 though.....