Some of my friends and I are starting a band, and I sold most of my equipment a few years ago, so now I'm left with this:

Guitars: Ibanez GRX-20 (with Seymour-Duncan JB Pickups), Squier BulletStrat (was my first guitar)
Amp: Line 6 Spider II Combo
Pedals: Boss DS-1, Boss CH-1

The sound I'm going for is Post-Hardcore (A Day to Remember, I See Stars, Burden of a Day, etc.), and I know my equipment doesn't reflect that, but my musical tastes have changed over the past few years.

First, I know my guitar (GRX-20) isn't impressive (it only cost $150), but it's pretty solid and I like it, so I'm keeping it, at least until we get booked for something.

Second, the amp completely sucks. It's effects are very "meh," and it doesn't do anything exceedingly well. I need suggestions for a new one, preferably nothing too expensive (under $500 would be good). I don't have any preference, just something that sounds good for Post-Hardcore and can fill a normal room.

Third, and this is the big one, are my pedals. I intend on keeping the DS-1/CH-1 for the cleaner, less distorted parts of our music, but for the more hardcore parts, I have nothing effects-wise. Here are some of the pedals I was looking at:

For Distortion: I was looking at a few pedals here. The main one was the Line 6 Uber Metal. A lot of people like it, but they play more heavy metal than I intend on playing, so I don't know if it would still fit my needs. I was also looking at Boss ML-2 and MT-2 pedals, but people usually recommend the Line 6 Uber Metal over it.

For Delay: DD-3 or DD-7 possibly, I don't really know.

For Equalizer: I know there are some nice EQ models out there, but I don't want to break the bank getting one. I saw the Boss GE-7, and it sounds nice, but some people don't like it.

For Noise Suppressor: I like Boss pedals, and the standard for Boss Noise Suppressor seems to be the NS-2, so that was the only one I tried on my last visit to GC. It was nice, but if someone knows a better one, I'm open to suggestions.

For Tuner: I don't know. Something cheap that works, suggestions needed.

And any other suggestions for my Pedal Board are definitely welcomed!

Budget for the pedals isn't really an issue. I'll probably be buying one per every few paychecks over the next few months, so I'll have some leniency there.

TL;DR Version: I need suggestions for Post-Hardcore pedals and an amp.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!

Suggestions I've gotten so far:
Amp: Marshall or Vox Combo, Peavy 6505 Combo
Pedals: Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Gear:
Guitars: ESP/LTD EC-400, Ibanez GRX20, Washburn D-10 M/TWR
Amp: Peavey Vypyr 75
Pedals: Digitech Whammy, Boss DS-1, Boss CH-1, Sanpera I

YDG!?
Go to your local music store to test out these things yourself. Only you can truly know what you want.

edit: good luck getting a good tube marshall combo for under 500
If a mortal stands before us
Strike him down with sleight of hand.
And if heaven rides against us
Then God himself must be damned.

Computer Science major! Apple enthusiast!
I wear Vibrams and type with Dvorak!
understand that pedals are a mere imitation of sounding like a good amp's distortion. most of the really good heavy metal tones you hear come from amp gain. for example, a 6505 would be a great amp, but using its clena channel with a pedal in front for distortion would be extremely dumb, as its gain is perfect for metal. that being said, i'd recommend a 6505
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by GODhimself37
Go to your local music store to test out these things yourself. Only you can truly know what you want.

edit: good luck getting a good tube marshall combo for under 500

After I get a good number of recommendations, I'm going to go to GC and spend some time looking at what's been recommended, then I'm probably going to go on eBay and get what I like at a lower price.

And $500 isn't a limit, it's just what I have to spare right now.

Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
understand that pedals are a mere imitation of sounding like a good amp's distortion. most of the really good heavy metal tones you hear come from amp gain. for example, a 6505 would be a great amp, but using its clean channel with a pedal in front for distortion would be extremely dumb, as its gain is perfect for metal. that being said, i'd recommend a 6505

I know amp distortion is better than pedal distortion, but I didn't know the 6505 had that good of distortion in it. I'll definitely be checking it out at GC when I go.

I'm still open to suggestions, especially for pedals!
Gear:

YDG!?
hmm....if you're gonna be playing out 2x12 combo or a half stack would be the minimum you would need.
Amp wise i'd recomend a marshall tube. the new marshall tubes they have out are a little over 500 for the 50 watt. solid state and old school randall or ampeg ss would be up you're alley.

pedals....check out anything Electro-Harmonix makes. i love them. the mxr 10 band eq is nice to. it has a volume boost and a gain boost. something to take into consideration. the boss ns-2 is decent. alot of people recomend the isp decimator or somthing of that sort. but thats $200. its up to you. check ebay and craigslist. can always find good deals at either place.
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10
I probably won't be playing anywhere bigger than a house show for at least six months, so a 1x12 would be big enough (and when we do get a solid gig, I can just sell it and get a half stack).

I'll check out the amps, but the Electro-Harmonix pedals I've tried previously sounded a little over the top. The MXR 10 and ISP Decimator are both fairly cheap (the ISP is ~$120 on eBay), so I'll look into those, too.

Edit: Still open for advice. Going to GC this Friday to check everything out.
Gear:

YDG!?
Last edited by YDG? at May 25, 2010,
First off, cab size has nothing to do with volume. Second, as an outsider to the post-hardcore scene, as far as I can tell the 6505 (and all it's variations) are the standard, so you couldn't really go wrong there. As for pedals, I think an EQ is key, and MXR is the way to go. Delay, the DD-7 is a really solid pedal if you want to go the digital route, but I encourage you look at some analogs too. Dirt wise, you really won't need much with that amp, maybe an OD like a TS-9. And as a general rule of thumb, avoid any pedal with the word "metal" coupled with an over the top adjective.

Oh, and try to avoid Boss unless you're looking at delay or their old chorus pedals. They have a tendency to suck tone.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Post-hardcore seems to consist of bands that use more metal-oriented tones and bands with more of a mid-gain guitar sound... seems like you're looking mostly at the former if I'm not mistaken but I think you need something more versatile than a 6505. Look for a used XXX maybe?

As far as pedals go, get an overdrive to either tighten up a distorted amp or to get those more in-between slightly driven sounds, and a good delay with tap tempo like a DL4. Everything else is up to taste for pedals in that genre IMO.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by mcraddict81592
First off, cab size has nothing to do with volume. Second, as an outsider to the post-hardcore scene, as far as I can tell the 6505 (and all it's variations) are the standard, so you couldn't really go wrong there. As for pedals, I think an EQ is key, and MXR is the way to go. Delay, the DD-7 is a really solid pedal if you want to go the digital route, but I encourage you look at some analogs too. Dirt wise, you really won't need much with that amp, maybe an OD like a TS-9. And as a general rule of thumb, avoid any pedal with the word "metal" coupled with an over the top adjective.

Oh, and try to avoid Boss unless you're looking at delay or their old chorus pedals. They have a tendency to suck tone.

Yeah, I've been looking for information on the 6505 since so many people have suggested it, and it seems that a lot of post-hardcore bands use it specifically (like A Day to Remember and The Devil Wears Prada). I looked at some prices for analog delays, and they looked a little out of my price range. From what I've heard from demos, the analog only sounds a slight bit better, so I think Digital is the way for me to go (at least for now). And Uber Metal does sound over the top, but that's what had been recommended to me most up to the point I posted this.

I was looking up the TS-9, and I saw Keely had a mod for it. Is the modded version much better than the original?

Quote by stradivari310
Post-hardcore seems to consist of bands that use more metal-oriented tones and bands with more of a mid-gain guitar sound... seems like you're looking mostly at the former if I'm not mistaken but I think you need something more versatile than a 6505. Look for a used XXX maybe?

Post-Hardcore (or at least the style I intend to play) alternates between a metal sound and a pop-punk sound, with the former being used much more. So as long as the distortion and clean channels are good, the amp should be fine, but I'll look at both in GC.

Quote by stradivari310
As far as pedals go, get an overdrive to either tighten up a distorted amp or to get those more in-between slightly driven sounds, and a good delay with tap tempo like a DL4. Everything else is up to taste for pedals in that genre IMO.

The DL-4 looks a little expensive ($150 on eBay). Compared to the DD-7 ($80 on eBay), is it that much better?

Great suggestions so far, but more suggestions are still welcome!
Gear:

YDG!?
The DL-4 can do sooooo much, I don't know exactly what, being an analog guy myself, but I know it's got a ton of features. Looping, tap tempo, stored presets, ect ect.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

I did a quick Google search on DD-7 vs. DL-4, and the DL-4 seemed better in general, but from what I read, the DD-20 is better than the DL-4, but it didn't go into much depth. Can anyone comment on that (tell me pros/cons of each)? The DD-20 and DL-4 are both in the same price range, and they both seem pretty nice, so it'll probably be between those two for my Delay.
Gear:

YDG!?
Anyone?
Gear:

YDG!?
stuff to look into:

Amps: in your price range, get a combo.

Peavey Ultra or Ultra Plus
Peavey 5150/6505
Peavey XXX
Marshall jcm900

I would stay away from a distort pedal, and put that money into your amp budget.

Delay:
The DL4 is fine. It is easy to use, I actually prefer it to the DD20. I've heard some things about reliability issues, but I know people that tour with them no problem..so up to you. Are you sure you want digital over analog delay? Check out some analog options like the electro-harmonix memory boy or malekko 616

EQ:
I sold my GE-7 for an MXR 10 band. The GE-7 is way noisy, and especially so with a high gain amp. The MXR 6 band will do fine.

Gate:
Honestly, the NS-2 is fine. different gear interacts in different ways, but it isn't absolutely transparent though it doesn't really impact your tone heavily either. A better option is the ISP Decimator, which is a little more pricey.

Tuner:
Get the new GFS tuner. It'll run you $40, is accurate to +/- 1 cent, true bypass, and the display is fantastic. It's what I'm using right now.

Hope this helps
Quote by YDG?
I did a quick Google search on DD-7 vs. DL-4, and the DL-4 seemed better in general, but from what I read, the DD-20 is better than the DL-4, but it didn't go into much depth. Can anyone comment on that (tell me pros/cons of each)? The DD-20 and DL-4 are both in the same price range, and they both seem pretty nice, so it'll probably be between those two for my Delay.

I had a DL4 for a while and my bandmate has a DD-20. The DL4 is FAR better IMO. The presets are easier to access and there's a much larger range of sounds. Not to mention the looper is amazing.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Alright, thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm going to GC tomorrow, I'll post what I think of everything.
Gear:

YDG!?
Bugera 6262 or 6260 would work well; 6505 sound with a better clean channel.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Alright, so I just got back from Guitar Center, and here's what I've decided on:

EQ: MXR 10 Band. It's just more versatile than the GE-7.

Gate: ISP Decimator. It loses less tone than the NS-2.

Tuner: GFT-90. Cheap, and it's accurate.

Distortion/Boost: TS-9. VERY nice boost to the amps I looked at.

Delay: DL-4. I liked the DD-20, but in the end I decided on the DL-4 just because it would be easier to use live. Plain and simple.

Amp: Peavey 6505+ Combo. I looked through all the amp suggestions, and I was down to two: the 6505+ or the Bugera 6262. They both sounded really nice for the kind of music I was going to play, but price was the deciding factor for me. Yes, the 6262 head IS cheaper, but I don't have a cab to run the head into, and buying one would put me WAY over budget. Once I buy everything I need (pedals and a pedalboard) and move up to a half stack, I am going to sell the combo and switch to a Bugera 6262 head, though, because it'll be much cheaper, and although the 6505+ does have better distortion, the 6262 has a better clean channel, and the distortion is only a little off of the 6505+.

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I didn't actually buy anything today, but after a few more paychecks, I'll buy the combo, then I'll start gathering pedals.
Gear:

YDG!?
Some good choices there.
Remember that getting a head and cab isn't always 'moving up'.
Although it might give you some street cred points or something like that.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.