Page 1 of 2
I'm thinking of buying this. It looks like an amazing deal. What do you guys think?
http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/1744643056.html

becasue the post has been taking down it was a Triple rectifier (the 2 channel one) with a 1960 Marshall cab for 1250$
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Last edited by Aashraya at May 24, 2010,
Is a pretty good deal, though a 1960 wouldn't be my first choice for that amp. Will still sound a lot better than your Vypyr
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
well i plan on selling the Cab and getting a 2x12
4x12 way too loud for me.

Also why does the feel like a single recto to me :P

and is the extra channel on better then the one with 2 channels ?
not too familiar with Mesa's other than youtube videos and bands i listen to.
just know they are good :P

also is this a really good deal? or is it just and okay one?
Quote by MatrixClaw
anyway, i must be off, my gf says we gotta go cause i poked her and now she's bleeding

Quote by BobDetroit
The real question is why the **** are you talking to your mom about a Mesa?What the hell did you think she was going to say?"No dear, I prefer Dual Rec tone?!"
Last edited by Aashraya at May 23, 2010,
I'd say that's a great deal. I started with a 1960a paired with my Road King and although I agree that other cabs (Mesa) sound better, the 1960 sounded just fine.
PRS SAS or Gibson LP Standard+
Teese WOF->Analogman Sunlion->Dr. Scientist Elements->Foxrox Aquavibe->Strymon Timeline->Eventide Space
Mesa RoadKing II and 2 Vox AC15s run in stereo
The 2-channel Dual and Triple Recto are supposed to sound better than the new 3-channel ones. And I would say that this is a good deal. If you don't get this, I suggest a Peavey JSX half stack. You can get one on Musicians Friend or Guitar Center's web site for $1,300 brand new
Quote by MatrixClaw
Is a pretty good deal, though a 1960 wouldn't be my first choice for that amp. Will still sound a lot better than your Vypyr

when I had a dual rec I tried out a good number of cabs and ended up landing on the 1960. granted back then I only knew of brands that normal guitar shops carry, but it was my favorite out of all the ones I was able to get my hands on.
well my budget was 1000$ but i thought this was very high reduced price so i am going to ask my parents for a bit more cash.

also how much do the cab run for? around 800 new?
what would be a good price to sell for used?

and how much does that head run for? 1500?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by josephde
when I had a dual rec I tried out a good number of cabs and ended up landing on the 1960. granted back then I only knew of brands that normal guitar shops carry, but it was my favorite out of all the ones I was able to get my hands on.

I guess its all on taste. Everyone has diffrent tastes.

only reason i'm selling the cab is so it is more convenient with a 2x12 and also beacause it will be way to loud
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya
well i plan on selling the Cab and getting a 2x12
4x12 way too loud for me.

Also why does the feel like a single recto to me :P

and is the extra channel on better then the one with 2 channels ?
not too familiar with Mesa's other than youtube videos and bands i listen to.
just know they are good :P

also is this a really good deal? or is it just and okay one?

Huh?

A 2x12 is not going to be quieter than a 4x12. It will be smaller... Might not push as much air, but the volume difference is going to be negligible.

The 2 channels are tighter than the 3 channels, though the newest ones that came out this year are supposed to be awesome, but I haven't tried one yet. I'd definitely take a 2 channel over an earlier 3 channel though.

It's a good deal, usually the 2 channels are anywhere from $800-1200. The cab about $400.

Quote by josephde

I didn't like my Road King much with my 1960, sounded much nicer with the Recto cab. My Single Recto sounded giant through the Recto 4x12.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
well wouldnt the 2x12 be quieter ? becasue of less speaker?

i wouldnt think if u had a 4x12 and 2 x12 both at volume 5 that they would both sound equally loud?

anyways i'm not very experienced in Head/cabs. So if i'm wrong i apologize.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya

i wouldnt think if u had a 4x12 and 2 x12 both at volume 5 that they would both sound equally loud?

The difference in volume would be extremely small unless the speakers were rated at a much lower efficiency.

I've had 2x12s that were louder than 4x12s.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The difference in volume would be extremely small unless the speakers were rated at a much lower efficiency.

I've had 2x12s that were louder than 4x12s.

oh alright... hmm this may be a problem

know any good attenuators? (i think that is what they are called the thing that makes louder volumes sound lower.

and how does the amp sound at lower volumes becasue i probably wont have home amp other than this.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by MatrixClaw

I didn't like my Road King much with my 1960, sounded much nicer with the Recto cab. My Single Recto sounded giant through the Recto 4x12.

not at all saying that it's better, just pointing out that it's certainly possible that' the TS would like it. the recto cab was really flabby with my lows IIRC. it was quite a while back though lol
Quote by Aashraya
oh alright... hmm this may be a problem

know any good attenuators? (i think that is what they are called the thing that makes louder volumes sound lower.

and how does the amp sound at lower volumes becasue i probably wont have home amp other than this.

Just use the volume knob man... If you can't be turning up an amp to decent volumes (like... 1-2 + ), then I wouldn't even bother buying a new amp, or at least not that amp.

Quote by josephde
not at all saying that it's better, just pointing out that it's certainly possible that' the TS would like it. the recto cab was really flabby with my lows IIRC. it was quite a while back though lol

For sure, definitely possible. Though, I've never got why people say the Recto cab is flubby. It's the amp, not the cab. My cab sounds tight as **** with a tight amp
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Just use the volume knob man... If you can't be turning up an amp to decent volumes (like... 1-2 + ), then I wouldn't even bother buying a new amp, or at least not that amp.

well i mean i will be turning the volume up at gig/practice with my band but when i'm home i wont be turning it up as often mostly over weekends i will turn it up.
Basiclly i just hope it doesn't sound bad at low volumes.
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by MatrixClaw

I second this. In fact, I'm the one that bought MatrixClaw's Single Recto and I think it sounds great at low volumes (and even better when it's turned up). I'd say the Triple Recto will too. I think any amp with a master volume will sound fine at low volumes.
Alright guys

a friend mine was telling me not to sell the 1960 cab but idk what to do.
i dont want to transport the cab every time i'm jamming with my band.
any solutions to what to do with the amp?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
1. Get two 2x12s.
2. Keep one at your place.
3. Keep one at your band's practice space.
4. ???
5. PROFIT!
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
1. Get two 2x12s.
2. Keep one at your place.
3. Keep one at your band's practice space.
4. ???
5. PROFIT!

i dont think that would give me profit
selling my cab which is like 400-500 dollars and 2 2x12 can cost up to 200-300$ each
and even if i did that some 2x12 are as much as 4x12 just like 30$ less

and i dont mind transporting 2x12s just 4x12 is too big since i live up stairs
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya

The rule I've always herd is every time you double your speakers you gain 3db. So a 4x12 will only be 3db louder than a 2x12. (and if you don't know db's, its not a lot)

This isn't to say that it won't sound better, because there will be more speakers pushing more air, but as far as volume, its not like it will double.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Quote by FrenchBread
The rule I've always herd is every time you double your speakers you gain 3db. So a 4x12 will only be 3db louder than a 2x12. (and if you don't know db's, its not a lot)

This isn't to say that it won't sound better, because there will be more speakers pushing more air, but as far as volume, its not like it will double.

well okay so i guess now only problem with a 4x12 with me is moving it around.

But idk i'll have to decide all this after i play the amp
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
One thing you'll have to keep in mind with a 2x12, is that the Triple Recto is 150w. If you'll be turning it up pretty loud at band practices, your normal Vintage 30 loaded 2x12 isn't going to be 100% safe, as it will run at 120w
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
blah so many variables =o

what happens if the 2x12 could only get to 120 watt
would it better to get a single rec or dual rec?
well acuttly i was set on getting either a Carvin V3 or The bugera Tri rec (when it comes out)

btw the rectifier is what the amp gets power from right?
if it is and i took out 1 or 2 rectifier would the watts lower?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
blah nvm i might have to skip this one.
dont think its right for me.

Thanks for all the people that helped!!
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya
blah so many variables =o

what happens if the 2x12 could only get to 120 watt
would it better to get a single rec or dual rec?
well acuttly i was set on getting either a Carvin V3 or The bugera Tri rec (when it comes out)

btw the rectifier is what the amp gets power from right?
if it is and i took out 1 or 2 rectifier would the watts lower?

The Recto would destroy both the Carvin and Bugera IMO. I wouldn't skip it if you have the cash and that's the sound you want. A 2 Channel Recto is the Recto sound, not some cheap Chinese copy.

The rectifier is what converts AC to DC current. A tube rectifier will give the amp more sag and a looser low end. The solid state option (which most amps use, and most Recto users use), will give you a tighter sound and quicker tracking. The tube rectifier is good for cleans and leads where a little sponginess is a good thing, the solid state rectifier is good for higher gain rhythms.

I'm not sure if you can pull the power tubes on a Recto. I know you can on many other amps, but 3 sets of power tubes confuses me Removing the rectifier won't do anything to volume.

In regards to your question about you getting a Single or Dual Recto... The Triple has always been my favorite for some reason. It sounds "bigger" because of the larger transformers and higher wattage power section. It's also more aggressive sounding IMO.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The Recto would destroy both the Carvin and Bugera IMO. I wouldn't skip it if you have the cash and that's the sound you want. A 2 Channel Recto is the Recto sound, not some cheap Chinese copy.

The rectifier is what converts AC to DC current. A tube rectifier will give the amp more sag and a looser low end. The solid state option (which most amps use, and most Recto users use), will give you a tighter sound and quicker tracking. The tube rectifier is good for cleans and leads where a little sponginess is a good thing, the solid state rectifier is good for higher gain rhythms.

I'm not sure if you can pull the power tubes on a Recto. I know you can on many other amps, but 3 sets of power tubes confuses me Removing the rectifier won't do anything to volume.

In regards to your question about you getting a Single or Dual Recto... The Triple has always been my favorite for some reason. It sounds "bigger" because of the larger transformers and higher wattage power section. It's also more aggressive sounding IMO.

yea well i'm was very excited to get the amp but i mean 150 watts in reality for me is alot. ( i've accutly never played any stacks before but from what i hear i'm pretty sure they are very very loud)

Is their anyway to get a 2x12 to work with the triple rec?
and how do you figure out how much watts the cab puts out?
add the watts of the speakers?
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Quote by Aashraya
yea well i'm was very excited to get the amp but i mean 150 watts in reality for me is alot. ( i've accutly never played any stacks before but from what i hear i'm pretty sure they are very very loud)

Is their anyway to get a 2x12 to work with the triple rec?
and how do you figure out how much watts the cab puts out?
add the watts of the speakers?

150w isn't that much louder than 100w, and 100w isn't that much louder than 50w. In fact, 50w is only twice as loud as 5w. The human ear may perceive it as louder, and the fact that not all amps are rated correctly (2 EL-34s can be more or less than 50w - most times less, but often times, companies will just state 50W as that is the accepted output value of an amp with two of those power tubes), certainly plays a factor.

Now that I've confused you. All you really need to know is that 50w is still insanely loud, 150w isn't that much louder. There comes a point on both of the amps where you will not be able to turn it up louder for fear of it exploding your ear drums... so wattage really doesn't matter in this case for anything other than clean headroom.

As for the cab, there are plenty of 2x12s rated at more than 150w. Yes, the rating of a 2x12 is based off the power handling of the lowest rated speaker, doubled. For example, if you have a 70w speaker and a 40w speaker, the cab will only be rated at 80w, because the lowest wattage is 40w. A 2x12 with Vintage 30s in it, would probably be safe, speakers are rated conservatively, but if you're cranking that thing really loud quite frequently, expect to blow a speaker or two.

You could find something with 2 Celestion G12T-75s, which would be 150w total, or G12K-100s, which would be 200w. The 75s are what comes in the 1960 the 4x12 has in it, you don't see many G12K-100 2x12s, but you can order them from Avatar. Eminence has a giant array of high wattage speakers, the V12 Legends are awesome speakers, as are Texas Heats, Man 'O Wars, Swamp Thangs, Governor, Wizard, etc. all of which will handle the wattage of the Triple Recto with ease (some like the Texas Heats are 150w for one speaker).
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at May 23, 2010,
Quote by MatrixClaw
As for the cab, there are plenty of 2x12s rated at more than 150w. Yes, the rating of a 2x12 is based off the power handling of the lowest rated speaker, doubled. For example, if you have a 70w speaker and a 40w speaker, the cab will only be rated at 80w, because the lowest wattage is 40w. A 2x12 with Vintage 30s in it, would probably be safe, speakers are rated conservatively, but if you're cranking that thing really loud quite frequently, expect to blow a speaker or two.

You could find something with 2 Celestion G12T-75s, which would be 150w total, or G12K-100s, which would be 200w. The 75s are what comes in the 1960 the 4x12 has in it, you don't see many G12K-100 2x12s, but you can order them from Avatar. Eminence has a giant array of high wattage speakers, the V12 Legends are awesome speakers, as are Texas Heats, Man 'O Wars, Swamp Thangs, Governor, Wizard, etc. all of which will handle the wattage of the Triple Recto with ease (some like the Texas Heats are 150w for one speaker).

I wouldn't recommend the G12k-100's with a Mesa Recto. I have a G12K-85 which is the same speaker, Celestion just changed the name, and it's just way too bassy. I have it in a cab with a WGS Veteran 30 and I have the bass on the amp set to around 2 and it still sounds really bassy. I think the best bet is 2 Eminence Governors. They are basicly 75 watt Vintage 30's which would equal a 150 watt cab. I think Recto's sound better with Vintage 30's (or V30 clones). I know that's a matter of opinion, but that's probably why Mesa cabs usually come with Vintage 30's. Something to think about anyway.
Just to throw my own two cents in im having a difficult time REALLY finding MY tone with a Triple Rec. Played my first gig with it and got comments that my band mates Bugera 333xl sounded just as good and frankly I agreed.

Im not getting enough of something...I dont know the word to describe it, maybe presence? I want it to cut more than it is. Maybe I need to cut across to the silicon diode and try some settings there. I just got this amp a few weeks ago so im still overwhelmed with dialing in a tone perfect for me.

The other thing is, its a perfect lead tone just as smooth and quick to respond as I want it to be. Just not heavy enough? Hmm. How does the tube rectification differ from the silicon diode and how does the bold/spongy switch affect tone as well?
-Gear-
Mesa Triple Rectifier---Bogner/Line6 SpiderValve---Orange PPC 4x12

-Pedalboard/Rackmount-
Alesis MidiVerb4--BBE SonicMaximizer 442--Ibanez TS9
Boss DD-3--Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

-Guitars-
Ibanez ART-100
Ibanez S-470
^Try an Overdrive to boost it. They do wonders to Rectos. SS rectification is a must if you're going for a tighter sound. Is yours 2 or 3 channels? I've yet to play a 3 channel I really like the sound of. The Single sounds nce though
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
My TS9 does boost it quite nicely. I will try out the sillicon diode, I guess I just dont understand why the whole point of a Recto is the Recto. Mine is the 3 channel, yet i've found no use for the 2nd channel.
-Gear-
Mesa Triple Rectifier---Bogner/Line6 SpiderValve---Orange PPC 4x12

-Pedalboard/Rackmount-
Alesis MidiVerb4--BBE SonicMaximizer 442--Ibanez TS9
Boss DD-3--Morley Mark Tremonti Wah

-Guitars-
Ibanez ART-100
Ibanez S-470
oh okay i never thought of it in a way like 150 watt isnt much louder than 100 watt
well this makes me feel a lot better. Especially the 2x12 cabs. i would prefer them over 4x12 just for shake of portability.

Although i'm thinking of keeping the 4x12 and use them for gigs ( just for looking cool sake)
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by BobDetroit
Aashraya, I wish you lived closer to me. If you did then maybe we could trade. Right now I'm playing mine through a 2x12 but I want a 4x12 really bad.

MatrixClaw, You say a 1960A wouldn't be your first choice. Is that because of the speakers (Celestion G12T-75's) or the cab itself? What are your thoughts on a 1960AV, the one with Vintage 30's in it? Would there be a big difference in it and a Mesa 4x12 with V30's?
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
MatrixClaw, You say a 1960A wouldn't be your first choice. Is that because of the speakers (Celestion G12T-75's) or the cab itself? What are your thoughts on a 1960AV, the one with Vintage 30's in it? Would there be a big difference in it and a Mesa 4x12 with V30's?

Yes, because of the G12T-75s. They're alright speakers, but nothing to write home about IMO. The 1960AV would be a lot better, but also keep in mind that the Mesa cabs are usually around the same price and are build much, much better.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
i believe you can pull some power tubes out to lower the wattage but im not entirely sure.
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Quote by travs2448
i believe you can pull some power tubes out to lower the wattage but im not entirely sure.

I know you can on the Dual Recto, it says so in the manual... But I'm not so sure about the Triple, since it has 3 sets of power tubes.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by zakkwyldefan79

I wouldn't recommend pairing a Recto with a Marshall 1960 cab either. Those speakers don't suit the voicing of a Recto. The low end sounds too undefined and the highs are brittle.
mesa cabs are definitely built better. After seeing a whole bunch of 1960s up close...they seem rather diminutive. My top hat cab is a bit larger but infinitely better built. Solid wood in the center block, heavy ply in the back panel etc etc etc.
That being said...a 1960 will sound fine with a speaker change. V30s just aren't great.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yes, because of the G12T-75s. They're alright speakers, but nothing to write home about IMO. The 1960AV would be a lot better, but also keep in mind that the Mesa cabs are usually around the same price and are build much, much better.

The reason I ask is, there's a guy locally that has a 1960A with 2 G12T-75s & 2 Vintage 30's in it and I might be able to trade him out of it. If the deal goes through, I'll have roughly $250 in the cab. If I get it, I'll put 2 more V30s (or Veteran 30s) in it. If I went with 2 Veteran 30s, I'd end up having around $425 in the cab. Less than that after I sold the 2 G12T-75s that are in it now. If they bring $40 each, I'd end up with $345 in the cab. Just wondering if you guys think I should do it.

I've searched craigslist (ALOT) and there just aren't very many quality cabs for sale, for a decent price, in this area. This Marshall deal is the best one I've come across.
300-350 is an average price for a jcm cab. I see them going for that all the time. Great way to pick up your first cab or 4.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Page 1 of 2