its your preference. steel will be brighter if thats what you want. it also wears frets a tad faster.
Quote by ikey_
its your preference. steel will be brighter if thats what you want. it also wears frets a tad faster.

+1

i also found steel strings need changing less frequently.
probably due to their brightness.
i prefer nickel for my ibanez steel sounds too bright
but steel for my homemade sg
Its all preference. I should however mention there are nickel wrapped strings and pure nickel strings, The nickel wrapped ones are probably what you're referring to because pure nickels are very mellow. I usually start with nickel wrapped strings and if the guitar doesn't bite badly I'll stick to those but if the guitar has tone that bites badly or if I want a more mellow tone I'll switch to pure nickel strings.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at May 23, 2010,
Yes stay away from Stainless Steel unless you want to refret your guitar sooner than normal. The SS Strings are significantly harder than the frets themselves.
Moving on.....
^ yeah, the only time i ever wore out frets on a guitar was when i was using SS strings (i didn't realise at the time). they're worth avoiding for that if nothing else, if you ask me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?