Hey guys,

I've posted in the bass forum a couple times since I've only casually played bass for a couple years (almost as long as I've played guitar in fact), and since I finally got my Mesa where I like it and don't need to spend time/money selling it and getting a new guitar amp, I was thinking of spending some money and getting a bass amp and cab so I can play my bass (an Ibanez Blazer, which is a really nice MIJ P-bass copy from the 80s) plugged into something so I can actually bring it to a jam session.

I really don't know what to look for in a bass amp so I was looking for some help and possible suggestions as to what I should be looking at and potentially buy.

My favorite bassists are Andy Rourke (The Smiths), Eric Judy (Modest Mouse), Carlos D (Interpol), Peter Hook (Joy Division), Georg Holm (Sigur Ros) and Colin Greenwood (Radiohead).

Power: Enough to keep up with 40 - 50 watt guitar amps, keys and drums.

Budget: Not a real limit, but lets try to keep things around the $1,000 mark. I'm working all summer and making like 300 or so bucks a week so I have the cash to spend on a decent amp.
Look at the Acoustic bass amplifiers. The Acoustic B450 is a very good choice (US$600.00 new). For US$1,000.00, you have a lot of great amps and amps/cabinets to choose from.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
that looks interesting. any other suggestions? I'm really open to used/old gear (none of my "main" instruments/amps were made before 1994).
The SWR Working Pro 2x10C is one of the best combo bass amps I've ever played. It has fantastic tone, it is very loud and it can be so punchy that if you stand directly in front of it at moderate volume, you can feel the sound from the speakers slamming into your legs:

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/SWR-WorkingPro-2X10C-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=481995

And if you are willing to spend the money, SWR's Redhead combo is in all probability the finest bass combo ever created:

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/SWR-Redhead-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=482143

The Redhead set the standard by which all bass combo amps are judged. I have seen any number of people playing a Redhead at large gigs and it keeps up with some major guitar amplifiers. A Redhead on top of a 2x10 extension cabinet makes for a phenomenal rig. The Redhead isn't cheap and Lord, is it heavy (95 pounds!), but you get what you pay for with this one.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I'd be willing to bet that most of those guys you mentioned use or have used an Ampeg of some kind at some point. It's kind of the iconic sound of rock music and with $1000 you can probably find a used tube setup that will get you very close to that sound, if not dead on.
With a $1000 budget you could look into Markbass, or an upper-end GK setup
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass