Did a few google searches. Found an interesting thread on the Marshall forums where the responses were pretty much "Dimed JCM 800 or GTFO". Is that really all one can do to get that Judas Priest growling distortion? Is there something else for (much) less?

I play my RR straight into my B52 and I'm looking for something along the lines of "Nightcrawler" or "Beyond the Realms of Death"
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Your guitar will be ok, just maybe put in a nice set of mid-high output pickups. Maybe a JB and Jazz combo. For the amp, I would look into a JCM800 or 900 clone.
maybe look into a 50W JCM800 combo? 100W isn't really necessary. The Bugera 1990 might also be something to look into, its a good JCM900 clone. A friend of mine just got one and its a great amp, quite a bit of gain.
You can get a JCM 800 for about $700 - $800, and a decent 2x12 for $300.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta

This.

Or get a Peavey Windsor like Darkflame suggested.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

I wouldn't get the Windsor unless you were going to mod it. Sounds very thin and piercing compared to the JCM 800, but it can be modded to the exact JCM 800 circuit for less than ten bucks in parts (that's not counting things like transformers, tubes, capacitors, etc. - JCM 800 is more than a circuit).
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta

This.

I was so confused when I read the thread title.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by PerpetualBurn
Your guitar will be ok, just maybe put in a nice set of mid-high output pickups. Maybe a JB and Jazz combo.

The RR3 comes with a JB and Jazz in it stock
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The RR3 comes with a JB and Jazz in it stock

Actually you're thinking of the Modern "Pro Series" my guitar is a "Professional Series" from the 90s. It comes with 2 Duncan Designed Detonators, basically cheap, korean made Invaders.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Really, Judas Priest isn't that hard to get with a wide variety of pickups, bottom line is the amp. A JCM800 or maybe a Laney AOR shaking the walls is the key.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I found that Marshall JVM's do Judas Priest tones well. Actually, it sounds even better, but still close.

I believe you can get a used 3-channel (clean, crunch, OD) for around $1000.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
if u dont want a new amp, get a Marshall sounding distortion pedal. a MI audio crunchbox or a Wampler Superplexitortion are good JCM800 sounding pedals.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Or a Zvex Box Of Rock.

Also because your pickups are overly loud and inherently muddy try lowering them a bit or backing the guitar volume off a tad.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by VanTheKraut
Actually you're thinking of the Modern "Pro Series" my guitar is a "Professional Series" from the 90s. It comes with 2 Duncan Designed Detonators, basically cheap, korean made Invaders.

You didn't swap the pups?

I had a 92 neck-thru Professional and the first thing I did was tear out those garbage pickups and put decent ones in.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I can nail Priest with a JCM 2000....
Well it doesn't have to be a jcm800, but it has to be a british voiced amp, and a vintage type high gain.
http://www.youtube.com/user/heavymetal1110
My youtube channel

Epiphone Korina explorer, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez GSA60, Ibanez AEG25
The amp: Bugera 1990
Pedals: Ibanez Tubescreamer,wylde od, wylde wah, Tc electronic g major,
Quote by bubb_tubbs
You didn't swap the pups?

I had a 92 neck-thru Professional and the first thing I did was tear out those garbage pickups and put decent ones in.

Haha. It's been real high on my to do list for a while. I've been eyeing a Bareknuckle Painkiller for the Bridge and a DiMarzio Air Norton for the neck.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie