Am i the only one with trouble standing up?
People on youtube can do it like gods.
But how?
I'm sick of the "start slow" crap.
I already do that like 24/7
Gear:
Epiphone SG Special
Peavy Vypyr amp

Been Playing Every day since July 30th, 2009.
No lessons, only the ones provided here at Ultimate Guitar.
you know how when you were just starting to play guitar, you couldn't play as well as you can now? it's the same thing here, as with everything else. it just seems more frustrating because you know you're capable of much more, but don't think of it that way.

unless the height of your guitar makes it physically impossible (i.e. past your crotch). with some time, you'll be able to play better.

OR, maybe you need to reevaluate your picking hand as i had to when i was transitioning. i read an article here saying to think of your picking hand as a wrecking ball, and that really helped. i also tried to grip the pick too tightly because i wasn't used to the orientation (which isn't ideal because it is more likely to cause your picking hand to bounce away from the stringbed).
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at May 23, 2010,
Yes, playing while standing up.
I kinda suck ass at it.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Special
Peavy Vypyr amp

Been Playing Every day since July 30th, 2009.
No lessons, only the ones provided here at Ultimate Guitar.
Quote by JakeIsInsane
Yes, playing while standing up.
I kinda suck ass at it.

Spend all your time standing up, the more you play that way the more capable you will become, practice and YES TAKE IT SLOW.

Stop being so impatient.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Here's what you do, you shorten your guitar strap so that it is the same height as when you play sitting down.
Quote by JakeIsInsane
What the ****k man.
what curse word has five letters and ends in k? I can't seem to find one that fits.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
pull up the guitar strap until you're comfortable.

increase strap length by a 1/4 of inch each day
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɥʇıʍ poob ʇou ɯı uʍop ǝpısdn sıɥʇ sı ʎɥʍ pob ɥo
You've probably got it too low for you to play. There's nothing wrong with bringing your guitar up.

Also, once you've got it in a good position, use the strap no matter what, even when you're sitting down. That's what really made the difference for me. Now I can go between the two without a problem.
The guy's a beast, but he uses 8s. So he's shit.
-juckfush on Alex Hutchings.
You're either trying too hard too look cool with your guitar low or you're using an odd-shaped guitar.

Oh, just noticed you're using an SG. Are you having difficulties playing because your neck is always sliding down towards the ground?

If that's so, you're trying to play a neck dive prone guitar standing up, you can go google it how sucky that is and the solutions to it.
Requirements for being a God.
1) Play guitar
2) Stand up
3) Have YouTube video.

Damnit! Two outta three ain't bad though. I'll settle for demi-god.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by DeadSoloist
lol i have all the practice standing up when I used to play guitar hero 24/7 :P

I don't care if you're joking or not.

Just no.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by zincabopataurio
Here's what you do, you shorten your guitar strap so that it is the same height as when you play sitting down.

That's the best advise...

And when you practice sitting down wear the strap anyway until you get used to it.

Just wear it like a Beatle!
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at May 24, 2010,
It's even harder to find a standing position if you have one slightly big ab like me It's killer... I ended up wearing the guitar like Glenn Tipton... Feels a lot more comfortable now... But I still don't play much standing up so...
How to Program a Metalhead ?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
what curse word has five letters and ends in k? I can't seem to find one that fits.

make your strap shorter than the beatles, so the bottom of guitar is at your waist, that should solve your problems!

(looking very stupid is inevitable)
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
You play like shit standing because you change your technique when you stand up. First, take a good, hard look at your technique sitting down. Where your hands are, the angle your arms are at, everything (assuming that you have good technique sitting down, if not, back to the drawing board!). Then, adjust your strap and guitar angle accordingly so that when you stand, vioala! No, it's not going to be a BAM IN YOUR FACE sort of improvement, but it sure as hell helped me get better standing up. Also, when I realized that I would be standing on stage, I decided to practice that way more often. You get better. Trust me.
I cant stand and play either haha. but then again ive been playing guitar for maybe 2 weeks now. so im jsut throwin it out there that your not the only one. =P
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

It's like **************K!!!
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!
Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
You wither, and die. I am eternal, the pinnacle of evolution and existence. I am beyond your comprehension. I am Kurai.