Hello there, I just started playing bass last week.

Today I have found out I wasn't fretting correctly

Me Being skinny and having little muscle i can barley fret properly

Can anybody give me advice. Ive been practicing it for a week now and

I still am not doing quite that well

Thank you
it takes a while for your fingers to develop the strenght you need just keep at it and soon your fingers will be strong enough
Well this may sound crazy lol.

But I don't think my fingers are strong enough to push all the way down on the fret

tune it lower maybe?
No dont tune lower, I mean dude, im fourteen and i can fret properly. C'mon just put some elbow into it!!!
.....Found Him!
Quote by UltimatexMetal
Well this may sound crazy lol.

But I don't think my fingers are strong enough to push all the way down on the fret

tune it lower maybe?

no dont tune lower just practice seriously soon your fingers would will be strong enough
I know this sounds cliche but, practice practice practice. It really will help.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Quote by UltimatexMetal
Hello there, I just started playing bass last week.

Today I have found out I wasn't fretting correctly

Me Being skinny and having little muscle i can barley fret properly

Can anybody give me advice. Ive been practicing it for a week now and

I still am not doing quite that well

Thank you

Practice fretting? I'm skinny too, but I can still fret properly (pressure wise.. I have a bad angle, but that is something else). Just make sure when you are practicing, you are practicing properly, though that isn't as easy as it sounds.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Practice practice practice.

Also, welcome to the bass forum!
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
as long as the string is touching the fret your pretty much pushing down hard enough, make sure that your fretting near the fret and not way inbetween them.
no sir away a papaya war is on
I have seen some guitars set up so badly that the action made it virtually unplayable. If you bought a cheep bass maby you could take it by someone who knows how to lower the action. About how far above are the strings from the frettboard?
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Hey, welcome dude

Yup, fretting hand strength can be an issue. I have some work to do with my pinky, but most of the time I'm ok I remember when I first started playing I was like "OMFG this is too hard" too, but later I developed finger strength and now it's a piece of cake

Have one of your bass-playing mates (No rookie preferably) check the setup- something that you consider amongst the lines of "It's not TOO bad" may be "OMFG AWFUL, UNACCEPTABLE" by an experienced players standards. And when you get it set up, it'll feel like a new instrument.
I agree that a set up, or at least checking the string height is in order.
Beyond that, have you considered your hand posture?
When fretting an instrument, the tip of your thumb should be firmly resting on the back of the neck in line with your middle or ring fingers. This will create more leverage to push down on the strings and effectively fret the notes.
Last edited by RobinTH at May 25, 2010,
First; Welcome to the bass forum!

Second; Yeah, fretting can be hard at first, especially stretching to reach them frets, and that dern pinky is annoying, but you need to practice. Im pretty skinny too, but i can manage after playing the bass since Feb this year. Don't worry about it too much, you'll get used to it eventually just do some exercises - one that i do constantly is just drumming my fingers on the table whenever im not doing anything, you can literally do it everywhere, not sure if it helps though.. - just hammer the frets as hard as you can and if you do it constantly you'll build up plenty of stamina and you'll be fine
There was once a wise Chinese man who said:

"All you can eat, $12.50"
Recommend getting a couple of lessons to make sure you are doing the basics properly, and to make sure you learn how to learn the bass, if that makes sense to you.
Inhuman evil take down!
First off, let me say welcome to the awesome club.
Always good to hear from new bass players.

What I have my guitar students do to strengthen their fingers
is to play something like this:

G:-------------------------1-2-3-2-1--------------------------
D:-----------------1-2-3--------------3-2-1------------------
A:---------1-2-3-------------------------------3-2-1----------
E:-1-2-3------------------------------------------------3-2-1-

No specific Scale or anything.
It may sound nasty, but it's not ment to sound pretty, it's to strenthen those fingers.
You could always do scales (It would be best), but I'm assumeing
you do not know any scales yet. (Like most of the people I teach)

Start off slow and keep at it untill you get to a nice speed.
Really helps a lot.

Anyway, good luck dude.
Last edited by KyleSkaBassist at May 26, 2010,
Welcome to our....community... of fun..... hahahaha.

Basically, you just need to work at it. I'm a scrawny 5'8" 115 lb kid, and I can muscle around on a 6 string just fine. You just need to develop the muscles, and ligaments in your fingers.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Black people play bass.
Quote by isabiggles
Nevermind, that's a stupid pun for Australian pyromaniacs.
Just forget I said anything.

Quote by mac_attack
THE PURE SEXUAL THRILL!!!!
And stuff...

^^^
On playing bass.
Gear:
ESP B-206SM
Behringer BRX1800H
Acoustic B115
Asher Custom 2x10
If heroin addicts that eat once a week can fret - You can too

Just practice, takes a while but eventually you will be fine
Quote by learnerlegend
my dog's barks are more interesting than their 4/4 hits

^ Regarding AC/DC
I am going to second a few suggestions in this thread and recommend that you look at lowering your action and getting at least a sit with a teacher or experienced bass player. Also check you hand position and make sure that thumb is acting as a pivot.

Now a few more. Get a good strap and use it. It should be wide and offer comfortable support. If your wrist and fingers are doing double duty by holding up the neck AND fretting, you're making it harder on your self.

Slow down. Every bass player I've helped teach at the studio wants to play fast. In the beginning its better to work on your technique and not try to play up to speed. Speed is a by product of accuracy.

Good luck and welcome to the bass forum!
tuning it lower wouldn't do a thing. you're just not used to it is all. i played guitar(acoustic/electric) before i started playing bass, and it was hard for me too at first. i guess you just have to keep practicing and eventually you'll get used to it.
My Gear:

Epiphone Limited Edition '66 G-400 SG
Fender Standard P Bass
Ampeg BA115
Boss Metal Zone Pedal
Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy Analog Delay
you could simply use two fingers for fretting like index and major, they will both grow some strenght in them, just slowly, but then your string should be held down pretty well.
Last edited by CrAzY-RiLeY at Jun 2, 2010,