I'm trying to start a band, and our gear kinda sucks but the thing I'm mostly worried about is the amp. I have 2 really shitty practice amps, so I was wondering whats the cheapest guitar amp that I could probably get away with if I brought it to a stage or something?
Budget? Styles of music you play?

Sell the two practice amps, that'll help your budget a little.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I use tiny, cheap practice amps everywhere - just mic them up. Of course, that's because I want my guitar tone to sound like it's dying a slow, painful death...
Well that really depends on the venues you play. If they have a good PA with a sound guy worth his paycheck, virtually any amp will suffice. A 1/4 watt SS practice amp like the fender mini tone master or that marshall thing or a vox amplug can be mic'ed (or run out the headphone jack) into the PA and the sound run through wedges or in-ears for monitoring. You could therefore "get away" with that setup.

If you're like the average band starting out who plays cruddy venues with no sound guy and no monitors, then you'll need something a bit more substantiative. But we can't recommend anything like that without knowing how much cash you're willing to spend and what type of music your band plays.
Peavey Vypyr 30/75 watt models, I played with them in shitty venues and I always ended up with 1. decent tone and 2. decent volume. The 30 is 200, the 75 is like 350 or something.
Quote by geanes
My favorite 'UGer.

Edit: Kensai, I'm taking that as you want to sleep with me. In which case, I'm flattered.
Music style is thrash metal, like kreator and megadeth and this .

As far as cash I was hoping you guys would know what kinda amps are the cheapest that you could play live and still be decently audible/decent tone, probably between 100-150 if I'm lucky 200, until I finally get a job. Honestly I have no idea what I'm doing though so I can't tell you anything for venue's, this is my first band and its hardly coming together considering the fact that my drummers lazy and always busy, and we have no rhythm guitarist. I asked my friend who plays sometimes about what I should get, and I can't remember if he said the cheapest where combos, halfstacks, or some other type of amp.
Last edited by zomgguitarz1234 at May 23, 2010,
Crate 2x12's can be found for around that cheap...that or I suggest you look into a vypyr, which may be a little more expensive. Since your band isn't off the ground yet, you've got time so be patient.
Quote by SayAnything
Crate 2x12's can be found for around that cheap...that or I suggest you look into a vypyr, which may be a little more expensive. Since your band isn't off the ground yet, you've got time so be patient.

The ones in my price range where sold out, or hard to find but I was thinking of going with the Fender FM 25 DSP Frontman Combo anyone know if its a good amp?
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
The ones in my price range where sold out, or hard to find but I was thinking of going with the Fender FM 25 DSP Frontman Combo anyone know if its a good amp?

It's not good, and it's nowhere near loud enough for your purposes. But honestly, with a budget of 150, you're not gonna get an amp that's either unless you get a great deal on CL.
Quote by josephde
It's not good, and it's nowhere near loud enough for your purposes. But honestly, with a budget of 150, you're not gonna get an amp that's either unless you get a great deal on CL.

I can probably get another 50, but I doubt that would make a difference.
Used crate powerblock + a distortion pedal + a decent cab.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310
Used crate powerblock + a distortion pedal + a decent cab.

even used, youre not gonna get a decent cab under 200. much less all three of those things...
What should I start with then, and add on to? If I'm going amp + cabinet, what type of amp would be good for this? I can probably blow off the 150 (maybe 200) on the amp, and then get the cabinet when I get a job.
I don't know what sort of shitty venues you all play at but if you have a PA for vocals there is normally a spare input or two to plug another mic into. You should own a mic yourself as a matter of course, a good mic is pretty damn important. I can't say that I've ever played a gig where there wasn't somewhere I could plug my mic into.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I definitely know of several bars around here that don't have their own PA.
Quote by jimtaka
I definitely know of several bars around here that don't have their own PA.

So what do you put the vocals through? Does the singer just have to yell REALLY loud?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Bands must either own or rent their own PA or run vocals through an amp.
If you are hiring PA's (like I did when starting out) then you have something to mike the guitar up into. Through an amp? You're shitting me? Even when I was a kid we used to at least hire a PA.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Hell, man. I've seen more than a few folks run vocals through a keyboard or acoustic amp and some through guitar amps. Obviously the majority of people will rent or own a PA, but not always.

Haven't you ever seen an old ass Fender combo amp with a jack for "Inst." and a jack for "Mic."?

Last edited by jimtaka at May 24, 2010,
Then should this thread be "Cheapest amp you can get away with if you are too tight or stupid to have a PA on hand"?

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I don't even remember what this thread was about anymore. I think we went off an a tangent. Perhaps I should be going now!
Well then TS. You can get away with a very small amp indeed if you have a PA complete with some foldback monitoring. That's why I won't use small amps (60W is as low as I've ever gone), I don't trust the foldback to always be right. Plus I like having my rig thumping away right behind me so I can work some feedback when I want it.
You can "get away" with no amp at all and use nothing but some form of Pod as long as you don't consider your amp part of your instrument and use it that way. If you are playing with no PA, wake up to yourself and buy/hire one. Buying one is good because if you own the PA yourself you can ask for a bigger cut of the take.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
just go for the peavey vypyr30 man
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
used line 6 flextone might need to save up a bit more but nothing new around the $200 will be at all stage worthy
Quote by josephde
Well that really depends on the venues you play. If they have a good PA with a sound guy worth his paycheck, virtually any amp will suffice. A 1/4 watt SS practice amp like the fender mini tone master or that marshall thing or a vox amplug can be mic'ed (or run out the headphone jack) into the PA and the sound run through wedges or in-ears for monitoring. You could therefore "get away" with that setup.

If you're like the average band starting out who plays cruddy venues with no sound guy and no monitors, then you'll need something a bit more substantiative. But we can't recommend anything like that without knowing how much cash you're willing to spend and what type of music your band plays.

with the marshall mini-stacks and the fender mini tone master series, you wouldn't get away with it, you'd make the audience puke from the awfulness of the tone. those fenders in particular, made me feel physically sick... i don't want to imagine how they sound at higher volumes. Those amps are a lost cause, they really are.

what you have to understand from a sound engineer's perspective is, a sound engineer can't make a bad tone sound good because you can't polish a turd - we can do our best to make a band's overally sound as good as we can, but an overall sound is only as good as its weakest link, and only as good as the band will allow it to be, too. Again, more emphasis on the classic sound engineering motto - you can't polish a turd.

But any proper amps which are meant to be amps and not novelty toys you could probably "get away" with using. I've gotten away with using some horrendous crap before.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
with the marshall mini-stacks and the fender mini tone master series, you wouldn't get away with it, you'd make the audience puke from the awfulness of the tone. those fenders in particular, made me feel physically sick... i don't want to imagine how they sound at higher volumes. Those amps are a lost cause, they really are.

what you have to understand from a sound engineer's perspective is, a sound engineer can't make a bad tone sound good because you can't polish a turd - we can do our best to make a band's overally sound as good as we can, but an overall sound is only as good as its weakest link, and only as good as the band will allow it to be, too. Again, more emphasis on the classic sound engineering motto - you can't polish a turd.

But any proper amps which are meant to be amps and not novelty toys you could probably "get away" with using. I've gotten away with using some horrendous crap before.

i disagree. you absolutely could get away with it. is it at all ideal? no. is it gonna sound like shit? probably. but the question was what's the cheapest amp you could get away with live, and those amps could be used if necessary.

and I have the fender mini tone master, so I'm aware of it's terribleness (though when I posted a vid of it on here everyone thought it was better than they expected)

but at the end of the day, I use a 5w amp live all the time, and those mini portable amps aren't that much quieter. I've used the fender with my V5 to try out an effect in stereo before, and it held its own volume wise with no problems past the volume I use live.

and I work in a studio as a session drummer, so I can totally understand your point about a sound engineers perspective, but that wasn't the TS's question. and TBH, for 150-200 bucks, you don't have any ideal choices new or used.
... let me preface this by saying that I'm a studio drummer and I've toured with signed bands for the last 3 years.

What the hell does any of that have to do with anything? Did you even read my post? I don't even know how to respond to this BS. I guess I'll try line by line.

Quote by sweatiingbullet
As someone who ran sound for professional bands from 1987 till 2002, I can tell you that what this guy said is just plain STUPID!

Yippee...

You can have the greatest rig in the world, but if you can't play or setup your own equipment, then no matter what the sound guy does you are still going to sound like crap.

First of all - nobody's talking about his playing ability or being able to setup equipment, and he's on a $200 budget, so I'm not sure where the "best rig in the world" part came from? The question was what is the smallest amp that is giggable. Not the smallest amp that will please a soundguy.

It's the sound mans job to make what comes out of the P.A. clear and sound the best he can. It's the musicians job to make what goes into the P.A. sound the best they can.

And in this case, the "best he can" is a $200 budget.

No matter your rig, if you are not setup correctly, or you play like a 2 year old having a seizure, you are going to sound like crap. It's not the sound mans job to teach you how to play or how to run your rig.

Once again, nobody's talking about his playing ability or his ability to setup his gear. This is all really random... No, it's not the sound techs job to teach you anything. It's his job to make the audience hear the mix as best as he can. Nobody's saying a 1/4w 4" speaker amp is ideal, but it's definitely doable.

Anyways, perhaps you might read the OP and my posts so you'd look less stupid?
Quote by sweatiingbullet
As someone who ran sound for professional bands from 1987 till 2002, I can tell you that what this guy said is just plain STUPID! You can have the greatest rig in the world, but if you can't play or setup your own equipment, then no matter what the sound guy does you are still going to sound like crap. It's the sound mans job to make what comes out of the P.A. clear and sound the best he can. It's the musicians job to make what goes into the P.A. sound the best they can. No matter your rig, if you are not setup correctly, or you play like a 2 year old having a seizure, you are going to sound like crap. It's not the sound mans job to teach you how to play or how to run your rig.

ya what how does that make any sense in this thread. Out of left field fail.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by sweatiingbullet
As someone who ran sound for professional bands from 1987 till 2002, I can tell you that what this guy said is just plain STUPID! You can have the greatest rig in the world, but if you can't play or setup your own equipment, then no matter what the sound guy does you are still going to sound like crap. It's the sound mans job to make what comes out of the P.A. clear and sound the best he can. It's the musicians job to make what goes into the P.A. sound the best they can. No matter your rig, if you are not setup correctly, or you play like a 2 year old having a seizure, you are going to sound like crap. It's not the sound mans job to teach you how to play or how to run your rig.

As someone who ran sound for professional bands from 1987 till 2002, it's a pity you never learned to read.

The question has NOTHING to do with ANYTHING you are talking about. TS asked a experience come in to this at all?