I got a question for the more advanced of the rhythm area.

I am not the best at strumming, when trying to add chords and singing at the same time. What I mean by this is, if someone ask the strumming pattern, I can never get it to work right for me. So what I do is take my own ear and without thinking up, up, down ,down and just do what feels like it matches the song.

Sometimes I have to kinda ( this is hard to explain , hopefully some of you will understand me ) play it over and over and over again trying to "fit" what strumming I have with the words and chords, finally it does fit and sounds great. It just takes me awhile. Just matching it and being able to do these three things at once for me is like dribbling a ball chewing gum and skating at the same time.

My question is this...

I have noticed with alot of songs that have strumming patterns ( or more advanced ) different than just a simple rhythm (I.E. strum 4 times 4 times then 2 ), it takes me awhile to get a hold of it. Is this normal with each new rhythm? Or will each new rhythm be the same challenge or will I get better at matching rhythm with chords and singing? Or will I get the ability to grasp this sooner than what it is taking me now as I progress in my guitar skills?

Right now it takes me about a week to grasp all these at once... is this an area which we can improve... where I can do it in a day or 2 days at some point? Or is this just part of playing the guitar , and each new song poses that challenge? ( with advanced strumming )

Edit: Forgot I had another question. Can "every" song be placed in one of these patterns? For instance... when I play Damien rice songs, I have a hard time finding a Pattern... yet rhythm is a pattern. Do some people Pattern the singing.... other than rhythm?
Last edited by AustinTyler at May 23, 2010,
youll get better with time with enough pracitce youll be able to get it in a few minutes
and enough practice is alot of practice
It might start to get annoying, but I'll be another one to simply say practice.

As time goes on, you'll start to find it easier and easier to start getting the patterns down and start singing along with it, without too much of a problem. When I first started playing, it took me about a week or two to get simple strumming songs down. Now, if a song is just chords I can usually get it down in about a few hours, then it just turns into a fight of remembering lyrics.

Just listen to the song a lot, listen to it on all the free time you have and just try to pay attention to the strumming pattern. It usually makes it easier to bridge that gap between your head and your hands.

But in the end, it's all just practice.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
then it just turns into a fight of remembering lyrics.

Yeah on the simple songs, or patterns , it doesn't take me long. Maybe 5 minutes lol seriously. If it doesn't fit.. I slow down , or speed up till it does. Yet it leaves some spice out of the music ( depending on what your playing )

The lyrics are really the part that slow me down most of all, but I just know I am bad at remembering things... which is why I asked what I did. I was never a musical person, so I was scared I was learning to slow, and I was going to be "held" back by this simple feat.

The hard thing for me is finding these songs that challenge me... because out of ten songs I look up ... most if I know the vocal side of rhythm, 9 I can learn in a day if I try, which poses no challenge and I lose interest in the song. But if I was going to "stay" stumped" with the harder more spiced stuff it would really depress me on my playing and wanting to learn because I felt as if I was never going to "get it".

I am just glad to know I am not the only one and this is a "normal" part of learning.
Quote by AustinTyler
then it just turns into a fight of remembering lyrics.

Yeah on the simple songs, or patterns , it doesn't take me long. Maybe 5 minutes lol seriously. If it doesn't fit.. I slow down , or speed up till it does. Yet it leaves some spice out of the music ( depending on what your playing )

The lyrics are really the part that slow me down most of all, but I just know I am bad at remembering things... which is why I asked what I did. I was never a musical person, so I was scared I was learning to slow, and I was going to be "held" back by this simple feat.

The hard thing for me is finding these songs that challenge me... because out of ten songs I look up ... most if I know the vocal side of rhythm, 9 I can learn in a day if I try, which poses no challenge and I lose interest in the song. But if I was going to "stay" stumped" with the harder more spiced stuff it would really depress me on my playing and wanting to learn because I felt as if I was never going to "get it".

I am just glad to know I am not the only one and this is a "normal" part of learning.

It's very normal. Everyone has to start somewhere. Once you learn a bit more and start getting better at guitar in general, you may even consider rewriting the songs a little bit. You'll find quite a few big name artists will rewrite their cover songs a bit, to give it a new flavor.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
It's very normal. Everyone has to start somewhere. Once you learn a bit more and start getting better at guitar in general, you may even consider rewriting the songs a little bit. You'll find quite a few big name artists will rewrite their cover songs a bit, to give it a new flavor.

Which this is one of the reason it struck me strange. I have gotten to the point where I can hear a song... and play around with the guitar and figure out the chords on my own. I can also listen to a song on the radio and I can hear the chord that are being used. ( I am not always right, still learning )

But I felt as if I was alittle behind on learning these more advanced when I can already hear these more advanced things.

I have already looked up chords on a song.. and added more than what the tabber/writer of the chords said it was, because it sounded better and it fit, just by using sound. I hear to make a song really good you have to add soul. I am not sure if it is soul we add, we just have to match it to our playing style and get into it.

IMO Flavor is what makes the song. Anyone can play a few chords...which is why I want to master Rhythm. making it stand out, and making people awe is a feat in itself.
I couldnt, still cant get the posted strumming patterns to sound right for me. After I worked on some familiar songs for awhile I noticed my adapted strumming was an effort to compliment the singing/lyrics. Listening to the original wasnt much help to me mostly because I couldnt make "one man and a guitar" come anywhere near the polished studio versions of my favorite songs. I often find myself strumming the posted chord earlier or later than the tab shows, and as someone else hear said adding or even changing a chord isnt out of the question. Maybe the most fun though is remebering that all those chords are full of individual notes, sometimes begging to be picked at just right time, and sometimes result in about a million ways to play a particular song. I use the posted tabs as a place to get started with a song more than a literal "how to" instruction. "Practice" went to "playing" for me once I realised all this.
Quote by AustinTyler
I got a question for the more advanced of the rhythm area.

I am not the best at strumming, when trying to add chords and singing at the same time. What I mean by this is, if someone ask the strumming pattern, I can never get it to work right for me. So what I do is take my own ear and without thinking up, up, down ,down and just do what feels like it matches the song.

Sometimes I have to kinda ( this is hard to explain , hopefully some of you will understand me ) play it over and over and over again trying to "fit" what strumming I have with the words and chords, finally it does fit and sounds great. It just takes me awhile. Just matching it and being able to do these three things at once for me is like dribbling a ball chewing gum and skating at the same time.

My question is this...

I have noticed with alot of songs that have strumming patterns ( or more advanced ) different than just a simple rhythm (I.E. strum 4 times 4 times then 2 ), it takes me awhile to get a hold of it. Is this normal with each new rhythm? Or will each new rhythm be the same challenge or will I get better at matching rhythm with chords and singing? Or will I get the ability to grasp this sooner than what it is taking me now as I progress in my guitar skills?

Right now it takes me about a week to grasp all these at once... is this an area which we can improve... where I can do it in a day or 2 days at some point? Or is this just part of playing the guitar , and each new song poses that challenge? ( with advanced strumming )

Edit: Forgot I had another question. Can "every" song be placed in one of these patterns? For instance... when I play Damien rice songs, I have a hard time finding a Pattern... yet rhythm is a pattern. Do some people Pattern the singing.... other than rhythm?

Hey AustinTyler,
Here's something for you to try that works for me when I'm trying to get tougher strumming patterns down pat. Mute all of the strings with your fretting hand and work solely on the strum patterns. You know the chords for the song already so add them later on. Try to focus on only the strum patterns for the song you are currently working on and duplicate them on your guitar while "strumming" along to the song. Once you get it, add in your fretting hand and away you go. Don't worry about how anything sounds from your guitaring as you are doing this step, since you really won't be making much of any sound anyways. Just get the strums down, then add in the rest. It really does work, so give it a try. You don't have anything to lose right? Luck to ya!
I used to have your problem too. this will probably piss you off but, its all pratice. practice makes perfect. You will eventually get acustomed to using different rhytms
Breakin` the Law!
Like everyone else said, practice is key. I'd concentrate on one thing at a time, so get your strumming down pat. Once you can continue a strum pattern in your sleep, try humming along the vocal melody. Once you can hum and strum perfectly, start singing the words instead of humming.

You have to be sure to build up the skills one at a time so they compound each other. It's going to be painful for you if you just pick up the guitar and expect to be good at all three things instantly.

Most importantly, practice on! Good luck to you, man.
I find this topic interesting since I have similar problem,I hope your tips will help me to over come this pain,lol.When I "sing" in my head I can keep right rhythm but when I start singing out loud the right hand gets confused and starts following vocal...
I'll try above method-first playing,then humming and finally whole thing.
If I only had more time to practice...

This forum is great.