Hi, I have a very nice Custom Les Paul. When the strings are perfectly in tune, when i play octaves the tuning sounds bad. The high string is too high, but if i lower it or make the lower string higher, then chords sound bad and the strings are off. How do i fix this problem? I hope i explained it enough.
Check the intonation.
Play an open an string and check it to a tuner, then play the natural harmonic on the 12th fret and see if it matches.

You can adjust the intonation of each string by it's corresponding screw on the tailpiece.

Hope that helps
LTD SC-608 Baritone
Schecter 007-Elite
Epi. Les Paul Standard
Jasmine SC312
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-3
Peavey 6505+

www.behaviourmusic.com
Who gave that les paul to a guy that doesn't know what intonation is
If you can read this... you can read!

Quote by Fat Lard
    I like semen, so what?
    Yeah you may want to check that.

Here's a guide on intonation... You'll need a flathead screwdriver.
    Intonation

SETTING INTONATION:
    Fine tuning String Length Makes Sure that your guitar plays in tune all the way up and down the neck.

Using an electronic tuner, tune your guitar.
    One string at a time, play the harmonic at the 12th fret and then play the fretted 12th fret note.

If the fretted note is sharper than the harmonic, increase the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.
    If the fretted note is flat compared to the harmonic shorten the string length slightly until both notes register the same on your tuner.
    Repeat the procedure on all strings.

just to add, if you can't get the harmonic to match the fretted 12th, compare the
    open string note and the fretted 12th note.
    be sure to tune the open string after each intonation screw adjustment.

ANOTHER WAY TO Explain Intonation:
    -Play the harmonic at the 12th fret, listen closely to the resultant pitch
    -Now play the same note by fretting the note at the 12th fret. The two notes should match exactly if the intonation is correct.
    -If the fretted note sounds sharp, then adjust the bridge saddle so that it moves back away from the fingerboard.
    -If the fretted note sounds flat, then adjust the bridge saddle so that it moves towards the fretboard.

- again, tune up the open string note after every screw adjustment.
    Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at May 23, 2010,