So, i've been playing for aprox. 5 years now, I got my first guitar (acoustic) for christmas 2005. A year and a half later I got my first electrical guitar for my birthday. I've had private lessons since I started, with the same guy, which really doesn't make any sense since I feel that I don't get anything out of it. Last year I started to bring my elec. guitar insted of my acoustic to the teacher, but I had played for some time on my own on it.

Now, the problem is that I can't play so many songs, and the few that I can play isn't very hard. When people say "play a song" I'm like "umm.... well.... ehh... " simply because I can't play any songs, just small parts of them.
What really kills my motivation to play is all the guys on youtube, UG etc. who says "I've played for 8 months, and I can play Master of Puppets solo blablabla." Well, I've played guitar for 5 years and I can allmsot the intro of "In the presence of enemies part 1".

I know I dont practice very much, perhaps only 2 hours each week, but I play guitar more than only 2 hours/week, but I'm just playing some bullshit and small parts of songs which I think is cool.

So please UG, motivate me to start practicing every day from now.

PS. English isn't my first language, and I didn't bother reading over the post, so I'm sorry for typos and grammatical errors.
Quote by Wuvahef
What really kills my motivation to play is all the guys on youtube, UG etc. who says "I've played for 8 months, and I can play Master of Puppets solo blablabla." Well, I've played guitar for 5 years and I can allmsot the intro of "In the presence of enemies part 1".

99.99999% of the people who say things like that are either lying or just flat out kidding themselves; they almost certainly can't play that song and if they can't chances are it sounds like ass and chips.

There's really not a lot we can say that will motivate you any more than you are, if you want to get better you will practice and that's all there is to it.

And... this is my 11,000th post
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I have the same problem. Find a good tab, sit down, and spend a couple hours learning the song. Also, practice along with recordings if you want to learn full songs.
well see the thing about those guys who have been playing for 8months theyve been playing alot more than 2 hours a week probably practice that much a dayat least
so if you want to get that good practice and learn new and different songs this site has many tabs for songs you could learn
and really your teacher should be the one motivating you to practice and teaching you new songs and whatnot
The people that say they can do petrucci covers when playing for 5 months don't know how to listen yet. They don't know about intonation, dynamics, smooth, to speed, and lots of other factors. Thats why they think they can play it and then it sounds terrible
You don't need to practice loads to improve - but ideally you should practice every day, even if its just for 15 mins.

Why don't you have a chat with your teacher about how you feel? He might be able to get you back on track for where you want to be, and start teaching you some songs. Or you might come out of the conversation with the view that you need to find a new teacher. Either is fine, as long as you have a way ahead to start getting to where you want to be.

And don't worry about people on here or you tube - either they aren't as good as they think they are, they've been playing a lot longer than they admit to, or they are the exception, and you shouldn' be comparing yourself to them - most people can't play much after 8 months or a year, they are still getting to know the instrument at that stage.
Thanks guys (and/or girls).

I'll start with a program, 1 or 2 (haven't decided yet) hours each day playing the guitar, to learn a complete song.
I have a similar problem, I've been playing for about 10 or 12 years but never seem to reach the standard I want to. My abilities come and go depending on how keen I am to practice. When I'm struggling to get motivated I get 3 or 4 new tabs for some of my favourite guitar parts that are just beyond my abilities and break them down piece by piece. I've tried using excercises etc to get motivated and although they are good for warming up etc it just doesn't give you the satisfaction of applying technique to a real guitar part. If you love the song you will love learning how to play it

Hope this helps!
The truth is, everybody who has been playing for 2 years, 5 years, 10 years, whatever, feels like they should be further along in their progress. Learning to be proficient on the guitar takes a lot of time. That's why most people quit before they get good.
Quote by Wuvahef
I know I dont practice very much, perhaps only 2 hours each week, but I play guitar more than only 2 hours/week, but I'm just playing some bullshit and small parts of songs which I think is cool.

So please UG, motivate me to start practicing every day from now.

theres your problem. should be more like AT LEAST 2 hours a DAY. and it should be productive and fun practice. you need to find how to love playing guitar and improving your playing. i really dont know how to motivate you to do that though. if it were me, seeing people play much better than me inspires me to go practice. if it doesnt for you, then i dont know what to tell you.
I'm in the same boat as you minus the teacher. I feel like its getting stale. What im attempting to do is switch styles of music. Change things up a bit. Find an artist you really like and study his music. Iv learned alot just trying to play a bunch of zeppelin.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
theres your problem. should be more like AT LEAST 2 hours a DAY. and it should be productive and fun practice.

Only there is no "should" is there? There's just what you want to do, stuff like this isn't going to help with the motivation.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I play the guitar because I find it fun no matter what other people do. If somebody can play Master of Puppets in a couple of months good for them but you have to wonder if you are having fun or not. If you enjoy playing parts of songs that you like then I think that's good.

Besides that, lots of songs can be played with just easy chords. If you are good with the open chords you can pick your acoustic and play lots of songs. And the same with the electric. Lots of songs are just power chords.
Sorry for my english
Kinda depends on what you really want to get out of playing. If you want to be good, you've got to put in the time. Practice is key - you can do anything you put your mind to.

When you practice, don't just "doodle" - IE playing little parts of songs you already know. Get a book to work through (blues guitar, acoustic anthology, etc). Practice every day, 20 minutes. That's nothing. Turn off the TV, close the door so the cats don't bug you, and practice something new.

Set a timer, warm up a bit, and start playing. If you practice this way, I think you'll find that you want to practice more than 20 minutes because you enjoy playing. Without distractions, you be playing more and better in no time.
I have a similar issue.

I think one of the (many) problems is that I don't take better advantage of my teacher. IME, a lot of guitar teachers consider themselves musicians first, and just teach on the side to make a bit of cash. They may be outstanding guitarists, but not necessarily great educators. Obviously, this is a just a generalisation, but that's been my experience to date.

So you sometimes need to help them.

Every couple of weeks, my teacher pulls out a new song to learn. Usually, he'll develop an arrangement just at the edge of my skill level so it's always challenging. But each song doesn't necessarily BUILD on the skills of the previous piece. So sometimes I'll feel like I'm just meandering from song to song... learning snippets here and there, but never MASTERING anything. And never really GROWING my body of knowledge.

I think I really need to take greater control of my lessons. I need to develop much more specific goals, I need to start developing my own learning program, and then I need to use my teacher for his technical expertise.

My lessons should be a lot less of "So what song do we learn this week?" and a lot more of "So I've been working on my minor pentatonic and need some help with my hand position."

That's just me, though
Quote by progrmr
Kinda depends on what you really want to get out of playing. If you want to be good, you've got to put in the time. Practice is key - you can do anything you put your mind to.

When you practice, don't just "doodle" - IE playing little parts of songs you already know. Get a book to work through (blues guitar, acoustic anthology, etc). Practice every day, 20 minutes. That's nothing. Turn off the TV, close the door so the cats don't bug you, and practice something new.

Set a timer, warm up a bit, and start playing. If you practice this way, I think you'll find that you want to practice more than 20 minutes because you enjoy playing. Without distractions, you be playing more and better in no time.

The problem for me is those books never make since and sometimes it hurts my brain to think about it. I learn alot better by visual example. Tabs also throw me for a loop sometime, but if I read the tab at the right time and im not trying to hard it comes to me. Stairway is a prime example, 10 months ago I looked at it and went (O.x) theres no way I can play that. Came back to it recently realized it was just finger picking chords and boom it clicked. When I first started playing I felt like ill never get that good, now I am where I am and feel the same way. If its not fun I don't want to do it, so keeping the music fresh helps.

Once I learn something it feels different then when I played it before.
Does anyone else have this?
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Last edited by teamhex at May 25, 2010,
Make goals for yourself and give yourself 'homework'. Or get another guitar teacher that will be able to motivate you more.
Hi, ive been playing for around 7-8 months now and i kinda blew my first couple of months on just 2-3 riffs and not knowing my abilities. I find that for me the key to growing as a guitar player has been pushing boundaries and keeping things interesting and entertaining. For example at abut three months i looked up a tab for KSE's My Curse to find out i could play the awesome verse riff in a matter of days. Point being, just start playing different stuff that sound cool to you, look up tabs of songs you think sound good and within reach of your abilities. I can now play the first 1:30min of Im Alright by Neil Zaza, bout wich i would laugh my face of if you told me 4 months ago.

Also, practice, practice and more practice! I play about 2 hours a day, 3-5 if possible. Again, keep it interesting and dont see it as a chore, a nice metalica solo/interlude (in my case) can keep you amused and practicing for days!

Guitar teachers IMO are for chords and finger picking , wich will come naturally as you go along (atleast chords will). If you really are willing to learn, you can really learn alot yourself. Its you that decides how fast. You gotta kick your own buttocks!

Final post scriptum: Motivation; having a fairly unique skill and, "Chicks dig it"