So, I have a Schecter Tempest Custom. I got some Dunlop straplocks for it (please don't start arugements about which straplocks are the best), and the new screw went in fine on the upper horn, but at the bottom of the body when I screwed it in, the screw wouldn't go in tightly, and it got too loose to even hold in the screw. So, based on the research I've done, this is what I'm planning to do.

1. Dip some toothpicks in glue (I have "tacky glue" to use, I was told that anything, even Elmers would work)
2. Shove them into the hole where the screw was.
3. Wait for about an hour for the whole thing to dry.
4. Cut off the toothpicks flush to the body.
5. Drill a hole where the toothpicks are.

First off, what size drill bit do I use? I lost the package that they came in, but I thought it was some weird number. I've seen 1/8 online, but I remember it being something different according to the package. Second off, is this all correct? And more important, will this be at least moderately secure? (I don't do guitar tosses or anything, but I want it to be secure).
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
i dont know much but that SOUNDS like a bad idea

'08 Ibanez S5470 Prestige
Gibson SG Special - discontinued teal finish
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
4x12 Mesa Oversized Slanted Cab
BOSS TU-2
iSP Decimator
Dude, 2 metalplates and some duct tejp with one plate on the inside and one the outside and you are good. No need to buy any stupid straplocks that hardly ever works. Have worked for me over 5 years.
no drilling required, either put a toothpick in the hole then put the screw back in or just glue the screw into where its supposed to be
Quote by sincewhen??
You LastAuramancer ....Are a GOD
tooth picks are a quick fix. If the hole is moderatly striped just glue will work fine for giving the screw something to bite into. If the holes are REALLY STRIPPED wood dowel then redrill
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
It honestly sounds crazy to me, but I've seen multiple forum postings saying this is how to do it. I made this thread to double check heh.

And Bleum, I don't really understand what you're trying to say, but it's not remotely helpful.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
I can't really tell you without seeing it, but you might not need to use glue unless you've really messed up the original hole, I've used toothpicks without glue on both my guitars and the straps have held for almost 2 years with no problems. And you don't really need to drill a hole, but if you do it should just be a pilot hole, so make it pretty small, otherwise you'll end up with the same problem you started with. Don't over think it too much, you're really just filling a hole, the screw just needs something to grip
Would tacky glue be sufficient, or do I need to go get some super glue or wood glue?
I wouldn't even glue the toothpick in place. Just hold a toothpick and the screw in your hand and screw them both in at the same time. If the hole is so large that the toothpick method doesn't work, I would drill out the hole, glue in a dowel rod, then redrill. Straplock's can be a bitch to install on certain guitars, namely Gibson's.

I bought a set for my Flying V and ended up taking them back, the original screw for the strap button was ridiculously larger than the one that came with the straplocks. The original screw wouldn't pass through the straplock either so I took them back. On the few SG's I've repaired/modded I've came across the same problem
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Wood glue would pretty much make sure the thing would never come off, but I use elmer's for mine. No problems yet.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

shove toothpicks and wood glue in the hole and screw into it.

let dry, profit.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
shove toothpicks and wood glue in the hole and screw into it.

let dry, profit.

This. You don't need to re-drill. The toothpicks are soft enough that you can just screw right into them, but hard enough with the glue to hold good.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Update: Used one toothpick and some glue, got it in there and let it dry, it's nice and solid now, thanks for the advice everybody.
I don't understand the whole toothpick thing. When I had to repair the strap button on my old dean, I just filled the hole about half way with Elmers wood glue, and then screwed the screw back in. The screw will displace the glue and should make it overflow a little bit. Wipe it up with a kleenex or something. After it dried, it was better than new (though that's not saying a whole lot, considering it was Dean). I never had any sort of problem with it ever again.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I don't understand the whole toothpick thing. When I had to repair the strap button on my old dean, I just filled the hole about half way with Elmers wood glue, and then screwed the screw back in. The screw will displace the glue and should make it overflow a little bit. Wipe it up with a kleenex or something. After it dried, it was better than new (though that's not saying a whole lot, considering it was Dean). I never had any sort of problem with it ever again.
Your solution is pretty much permanent. If you want to change strap buttons, or your screw gets stripped, you have to do the whole process over again. With the toothpicks, it just "remakes" the hole, you can change out the screws/buttons if you need to.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Rule # 1563765 of life. Nothing is idiot proof. They just make better idiots.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
I had the same problem when I put Dunlop Straplock's on my Strat. The screw's that held the original strap buttons were bigger than the screw's diameter that came with the Dunlop's Screw's.

When I tried to use the Strat's original larger screw's that came out of the guitar, the heads were too big to fit in the strap lock's. So i just ground the O.D. of the heads so they would fit into the Straplock buttons.

Same size screw hole, No toothpick's and it worked fine.

If you do use the toothpick's and glue. DON'T USE SUPER GLUE. use elmer's. Elmer's will hold just as well with wood and is easy to clean up with a damp towel if you get it on your guitar.

If you use Super glue, it's messy and you cant clean it up if you spill some on your guitars finish. Plus it dries hard and is difficult to drill thru.

Good Luck . You Can Do It.!
dngrsdave

Heavy Metal Thunder
i think it would be easier if you put wood filler in the hole
you can get it at home depot for like 3 bucks.

to me it just sounds sturdier than some toothpicks and glue. i dont know for sure, but it just sounds weird that you are shoving tooth picks in htere

another thing you could do is to mix wood pulp with superglue and put the concoction in the hole (quickly). It will be completely dry and ready to drill in 5-10 minutes. similar to the wood filler, but cheaper and you dont have to wait 48 hours
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
^ahh.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011