I have just earned a little over $300. I have been researching the hell out of pedals. I am into just about every type of music except country. I'm going to absolutely go for one of BOSS's distortion pedals as well as a crybaby wah pedal. For all the stuff I play I feel like I absolutely need a delay and possibly a chorus.

I guess my questions are:

1) Are there any other really necessary pedals?

2) How expensive could it get?
An EHX Big Muff may be a better option, I've heard good things and am going to get one myself, I have a DS-1 and it's not all that. Some describe it as sounding like a can of bees.
I'd say possibly some sort of Overdrive. Also, a noise gate couldn't hurt.
I have no sig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1) Perhaps a tuner for connivence. I find fuzz a necessity, but that can change with what genre you play.

2) I could get expensive real fast, but if you're going with Boss and Dunlop, it shouldn't be too bad. When you get into higher end models and boutique effects is when it can add up real fast.
THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Drive! Drive on down the field, men of the scarlet and gray...
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginere
Engenere
I'm good with math.

a0/2 + ∑ an cos(nπx/L) + bn sin(nπx/L)

ĤΨ(x,t) = iħ ∂Ψ(x,t)/∂t
σx σp ≥ h/2
Boss Distortions and Crybabies are shit. There are way better pedals for the same price. More importantly- get a better amp.
1 2

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a House of Leaves

My Rig
Quote by Will Swanson
HeavyReverb = Hero of The Pit 2010.
Quote by I-Shot-Jr
You sir are my absolute hero.
Digitech Bad Monkey for overdrive. I have a Marshall JCM2000 and thing REALLY gets it going.
Follow that up with a Boss Chorus and a Morley Wah. Now that's a badass pedal board.
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.
If you're sticking to a tight budget, I've found that a chorus isn't THAT necessary. But obviously it's up to you.

If you're going for a boss pedal, I'd suggest a Keeley modded DS-1. You can find them on eBay for about $75. But look up demos on youtube first and make sure that you like the sound. Or you can check out this link for a heap of distortion pedal demos.

Yeah I think the combination of delay and distortion are a pretty good building block.
if you don't know much about effects i recommend getting multi effects pedal like a boss me-70. sounds pretty good and is really helpful in learning what you like. then later once you know what kinda stuff you like you can upgrade to single effects pedals.

also, this thread should go in GG&A