So, my band finally has a name we like. The name is a word in Spanish. However, we recently found out that another band has the same name. It took us this long because nobody seems to have ever heard of the band. It's a spanish band (probably why they have the same name....).

Anyways, should we stick with the same name, or not? I remember reading something about having similar names only mattering if you're in the same market; for example, if two bands in different states, that don't ever play outside of their state, have the same name, it's not really that much of a problem. Well, us and the other band play in different languages, as well as different style of music. Also, nobody's ever heard of this other band. Would it be okay if we had the same name?
Legally, it is allowed as long as the other band don't have the exclusive rights to the name, otherwise they can file a lawsuit on you.

What's the name?
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Nobody's ever heard of your band either. You should be in the clear.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

If you play completely different styles of music, it shouldn't be a problem. But if they have the rights to the name, they could sue you if they want.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
its like Attack Attack! and Attack! Attack!. sorta
You belong in a museum.

Do you Enjoy Forza, and wish to be in an in game Club?! Look no further! Please, join.. there is no one else!
wuts mariposa mean?
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.

Just kidding, that's a nice name I guess.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
Quote by larrytheguitar

Just kidding, that's a nice name I guess.

I guessing TS doesn't play in a metal band.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
You should be fine. One of the guitarists I'm subscribed to on Youtube plays lead guitar in a band called Break the Silence, and there's like a million other bands by that same name.

Far as I know they haven't been slapped with any lawsuits.
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

If anyone knows of any bands with a Spanish name that starts with the letter "s," please let me know.
Dude, there are millions of bands that are underground with the name shock collar, but my band still has it. I doubt it will be an issue.
I think mariposa is actually pretty original and unique....even though someone else has it I feel like your in a grunge-ish band because of the lyrics in your sig and the name but I think you should be fine if there just a garage band on myspace or something you wont have a problem as long as they dont have copyright. You should try and get a copyright for it just incase they haven't done yet and then it will be safe for you to use. Good luck.
Quote by dizzle_312
I think mariposa is actually pretty original and unique....even though someone else has it I feel like your in a grunge-ish band because of the lyrics in your sig and the name but I think you should be fine if there just a garage band on myspace or something you wont have a problem as long as they dont have copyright. You should try and get a copyright for it just incase they haven't done yet and then it will be safe for you to use. Good luck.
There's definite Grunge influences, but, to be honest, the lyrics in my sig aren't really my best; my writing has been off lately.