So I was just wondering if when practicing, it is okay to ignore one technique you are working on to focus on working on another. In my case, I am working on muting, which I find requires a lot of focus to work on. Would it be okay to say forget about it while I practice my alternate picking (I am naturally an economy picker that wants to widen my abilities) because that too requires a lot of active effort to maintain? Or should I try and do it all correctly all the time?
I mean that I only discard it during certain exercises. I play songs/scales etc. with muting but for a few specific exercises I find it very tough to focus on two things at once. Although I suppose you're right, I guess I should just take it super slow.

And yeah, Jesse Music, that's exactly what I mean by this.
Last edited by Tigerfang at May 23, 2010,
Okay thanks for the suggestions, I'm just gonna focus on muting completely before moving on to work on other things.
You should never be "ignoring" anything because you should never just be practicing - you should be playing the guitar as well.

Practicing is where you work on specific things in a more focussed way. It's essential for learning new techniques and helps maintain your abilities. Playing is what matters though, that's where you see if all that practice has actually been worth it. If you've worked on something a lot and have no problems using it in your playing then you can afford to not practice it so much because using it in your playing will also go towards maintaining your skill.

However, in the case of muting it's part and parcel of everything you do on guitar, it's there all the time. You can't really practice alternate picking without muting, unless you want to teach yourself how to alt pick sloppily and messily.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Tigerfang
So I was just wondering if when practicing, it is okay to ignore one technique you are working on to focus on working on another. In my case, I am working on muting, which I find requires a lot of focus to work on. Would it be okay to say forget about it while I practice my alternate picking (I am naturally an economy picker that wants to widen my abilities) because that too requires a lot of active effort to maintain? Or should I try and do it all correctly all the time?

i dont see why you wouldnt mute while alternate picking anyway.
Quote by steven seagull
However, in the case of muting it's part and parcel of everything you do on guitar, it's there all the time. You can't really practice alternate picking without muting, unless you want to teach yourself how to alt pick sloppily and messily.

This.

Muting is a vital thing.
In that case, I'd say that when you're practicing alternate picking you focus on various things: relaxation and good posture, economic small movements, and muting.
That's it, you have to focus on those three things at the same time, don't let any out, make sure you're relax, you're not exaggerating your movements and no other sounds but the sound of the note you're playing is heard.
To be able to concentrate on those three things you might have to go slow... slooooow maybe absurdly slow.
Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
You wither, and die. I am eternal, the pinnacle of evolution and existence. I am beyond your comprehension. I am Kurai.
Last edited by Kurai X at May 24, 2010,
Okay well it has become obvious that I can't do that, however just to clear it up when I say work on alternate picking, I mean that I have to condition myself to actually alternate pick, because by nature I pick in the direction of the string I'm going to not in strict up-down fashion, not work on economizing it yet. But that's beside the point, and thanks for helping me out all.