I've seen people use these and it seems like a good idea idea, but i can't figure out how to fit it on, if i put it on just all the way loose it's too big, but if i double it up it wont go around my headstock. What's the trick?
Obsession! Obsessive! Obsessed! Abscess!
Buy one that fits.

To be honest, this is a trick that people use in the studio, rather than all the time. Also, you obviously can't play open notes with them on, so it's just for recording solos etc.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I've never heard of this before but it's a good idea haha

It seems to me the hair tie can't be tight enough to fret the strings, but not loose enough to just dangle... seems like it would pretty hard to find the perfect size
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at May 23, 2010,
what about a wristband?
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
You can a sock or a polish cloth and tie it around the neck and it does the same thing.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
You do this when you want to mute unwanted noise. I see alot of people do this when they are sweep picking. I personally do not like to do this. Sure it'll make you sound good if you're just standing there sweeping,or whatever. But when you are playing a full song, and you gotta play that one part that you always used a band for... Well you won't have the time to throw one on, so you'll probably sound like shit.
everybody i know uses these.

just kidding, you actually just have to find the right one, you may have to buy quite a few till you find the right one
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
everybody i know uses these.

just kidding, you actually just have to find the right one, you may have to buy quite a few till you find the right one

dude my kids love those for some reason......she even has an acoustic and flying veeeeeee ones. but she wont give me one even though it matches my veeeeeee
Try using this kind of hairband:

(Invalid img)

If that doesn't work then just try brand new regular ones in a smaller size.
Sock!
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
I'm gonna clear up why people do this for some people who've posted in this thread.

The idea of muting the strings using something at the nut is mainly a tudio technique, but what a hairband does it allow you to turn the muting "on" or "off" by sliding it back over the nut when you're done muting.
Two perfect examples of this are Guthrie Govan and Greg Howe, who use this technique when doing multi-finger tapping (i.e. Guthrie Govan's Sevens).
So while a sock, or a cloth or something works in a studio atmosphere or as a permanent mute, the hairband allows you to play normally whenever you don't want it.

On topic though, I've never found one that ever fits perfectl, you'll probably have to find some way, like a safety pin like someone said, to tighten it while it's on.
Once I found one that fit round twice...but was still loose. >: (
Quote by z28_dad
dude my kids love those for some reason......she even has an acoustic and flying veeeeeee ones. but she wont give me one even though it matches my veeeeeee

i hate those things, any highschooler guy that i see wearing one i want to punch in the eye. if you are like 7 then its okay. but by the time your 16 you shouldnt be wearing glow in the dark animal rubber bands on your wrists.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
i hate those things, any highschooler guy that i see wearing one i want to punch in the eye. if you are like 7 then its okay. but by the time your 16 you shouldnt be wearing glow in the dark animal rubber bands on your wrists.

my daughters are 6 and 10. so i guess its okay. but if i saw a high school or even junior high guy wearing them, i feel he deserved the nut tapping that would be coming to him
Quote by Vlasco
Try using this kind of hairband:

(Invalid img)

If that doesn't work then just try brand new regular ones in a smaller size.

For the record..those are scrunchies
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Quote by z28_dad
my daughters are 6 and 10. so i guess its okay. but if i saw a high school or even junior high guy wearing them, i feel he deserved the nut tapping that would be coming to him

hahah you must be a great father.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
You need a hair band to mute your strings? Why would you want Ratt,Dokken or Poison muting your strings and how much do you think it costs to have one of them do so?
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Bhaok
You need a hair band to mute your strings? Why would you want Ratt,Dokken or Poison muting your strings and how much do you think it costs to have one of them do so?

HA HA HA..... Classic!!!!!

Well played sir!
Quote by the_perdestrian
place it around your neck then safety pin it tighter.

This.

I've been doing this for years.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by diceksox1809

Quote by z28_dad

Oh how I love insecure needledicks. I'm done high school, have a career and have no problem with indulging in cute/kiddie stuff. The amount of stupidity in your posts disturbs me.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
yeah i use them all the time. they are awesome if you do a lot of tapping and sweeping. oh and quit hating on the animal bands.