So I have a Squire Strat and a Fender Frontman amp. This is exactly my setup right now. I've been trying to learn "The Wind Cries Mary" and "Gravity". Though I can play them relatively easy, I don't seem to get the right "sound".

Im not sure if this is the guitar (which is pretty damn nice for a squire) or the amp (also very nice) or if I need some certain effects (I guess I might not be hearing them when I listen).

So my question is, what do I need to do to get the Jimi/John sounds?
Never put Jimi and John in the same sentence.

Anyways I covered The Wind Cries Mary. In it Hendrix is clean, it sounds like he's using compression, no distortion, and his sound is very thin and trebly (as you can expect from hendrix). His sound is hard to get though because of his righty guitar turned lefty which would be like turning the pickup around to sound the "opposite" of other strats.

GOOD LUCK!!
Quote by salgala2000

Personally I believe that they are/were fantasic at what they do/did. Hell, Jimi is one of Mayer's primary influences (along with SRV but I digress).

Anywho, thanks for the advice. I had a little too much bass going on apparantly. now im getting the really nice "bom-bom-bow" riff. Any other suggestions?

Im haveing trouble with the sustain during "Gravity" now. :P
John Mayer is a dick, but he is indeed fantastic.

john uses an excellent amplifier. i'm pretty sure he uses a two-rock? a dumble clone. it's famous for the excellent clean tone that's so sweet and charming, and the overdrive that is mean and edgy but still sweet as hell. it's tough to obtain the sound though. for gravity, at least from my experience, i like using the neck pickup and middle pickup together. in an ordinary strat, this is gonna sound a little muddy, so turn up the tone knobs.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
honestly you'll have to settle for close. the pickups in your squier aren't the best and the amp is low budget solid state (nothing wrong with either though so don't take this wrong). i believe hendrix used a fender amp for that song (on the record). he also tuned down half a step frequently so be sure you do that. don't feel bad alot of guys that have way better equipment and have been playing for years can't totally duplicate the hendrix sound (myself included)
Quote by salgala2000
How 'bout Jimi Hendrix and John Frusciante?
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
Hey Maverick - regarding your sustain issue, do you have a really heavy right hand?

I was having big time sustain issues and couldn't figure it out. Finally I realized that I was beating the crap out of the string and my tone was geared around the initial attack. After a second or so the vibration would decay enough that the tone got thin and crappy.

So I gauged up, turned up and started playing a bit lighter on the RH. Things seem to be better so far.
getting closer
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
My frontman amp can't get the right cleans for the job - it's too brittle and bright (which isn't bad in a lot of contexts, but here). I'd recommend first getting some form of reverb, and then if the EQ can't be made any more closer to the tone, an EQ pedal.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
most solid state amps fail to get the right brightness in the clean tone. it's generally too "harsh", and that's one reason why many guitar players prefer vacuum tubes.

it's with the cancellation of even number harmonics with solid state amps that shuns guitarists away. and for hendrix it might work, but not for john mayer. his tone is real warm, hella sweet.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard