My friend is looking about getting into guitar and wants to find a cheap starter pack. It should sound decent enough that he can get some decent (I use that term very loosely) sounds and probably not cost much more than 200 dollars. I've been looking at these packages. What do you guys think?

Rogue Rocketeer

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-Rocketeer-HSS-Electric-Guitar-Value-Pack?sku=582903

Dean Evo

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Evo-XM-Electric-Guitar-Pack?sku=620087#used

Squier Strat

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-SE-Special-Strat-with-Squier-SP10-Amp-Value-Pack?sku=513287#used

He likes metal and hard rock so I'm a little skeptical about the single coils on the Squier, although I know the amps aren't going to get him a metal sound anyway. The Rocketeer has a bridge H and it's way cheaper than the fender. I'm thinkin that's the way to go.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
I recommend saving a little more cash and getting a better package. The Affinity Squier package with the Fender amp is well worth the extra cash they charge, I use one of those amps as a practice/warming up amp because they're cheap, reliable, and sound decent for the price. Also the guitar is sturdy that comes with it.

I'm not sure but I think they make a Fat Strat package now
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Flux'D
I recommend saving a little more cash and getting a better package. The Affinity Squier package with the Fender amp is well worth the extra cash they charge, I use one of those amps as a practice/warming up amp because they're cheap, reliable, and sound decent for the price. Also the guitar is sturdy that comes with it.

I'm not sure but I think they make a Fat Strat package now

They do make the Fat Strat kits. They're a little more expensive than the SC kit.

Ibanez makes a few starter kits that are nice. Solidly built guitars with humbuckers. You did say your friend likes metal.
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
He knows how to play some chords because he had an acoustic but his technique is very limited, especially for metal. He has a decent ear though.

Ya the ESP starter kit looks very nice, this Ibanez has got me thinking too.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-IJX40-Electric-Guitar-Jumpstart-Package?sku=518876

Which of the LTD series has the best neck and playability for metal? M,F, or Viper
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Why in the name of metal would you prefer that over the ESPs? Just kidding, that looks decent too. I'm looking at some superstrats myself.

I do believe because because those three are mass produced and bolt-on (probably on the same assembly line) that they all have the same necks. Correct me if I'm wrong guys. The only difference to me is how those three look, but I guess the body shape will affect the tone
That's a nice amp but IMO the guitar is pretty shitty. I think the LTD is the way to go, or the Ibby
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
well i would say no. however, the things you get in those packages just cant be bought for close to that price even used.

what i mean is, you get a guitar that makes noise, a soft case, cable and tuner and an amp. its almst so cheap you cant loose.

however i would point out that sub par amps go for crap used (and by sub par i mean most solid state amps, practice amps, and low end tube amps). and about 80% of every music store ive gone into is filled with used strat knock offs.

you can get a lot of good gear for cheap, however not all of that for under 200. i mean, a good soft case will run atleast 30-40 bucks. stuff like that. but its not a bad pace to start. i mean i bought a crate 10 watt and a squier bullet for 100 bucks. in fact, i still have the crate. its a tank, and a very easy reliable amp to bring to college etc.
Last edited by ikey_ at May 24, 2010,
Whatever you do, DO NOT buy that squier kit. Amp makes my ear bleed, and it can barley play rock and punk let alone metal.
Maybe you should check out the Ibanez Jumpstart packs, those guitars are decent and the amp isn't all that bad for a beginners set.
It's a little bit more expensive but it's nice, I still play on that guitar.
Gear:
----------------------
Jack and Danny Brothers Ls-5
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
Zoom g9.2tt (for sale (NL))
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
hes just getting into it right? just get the cheapest piece of crap that looks and plays nice at guitar center, and return it in 30 days? cause u don't buy a GOOD guitar for a first guitar. we all buy pieces of shit. then when he thinks he's ready to get a better one, when he knows hes gonna be into metal and playing electric guitar for a long time, thats when he buys a good guitar and a good amp. so don't spend more than $200 now...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
As a suggestion instead of buying a kit you should check out rondomusic.com
They are very solid guitars such as the Debeo Octanis that is currently on sale for $100 which is mahogany body with set neck and the cheap pups arnt bad for how cheap they are. Then spend another $100 at musiciansfriend.com on a Peavy Vypyr 15.

I have a Douglas Debeo Octanis and I can tell you its better than all of those starter pack guitars and even better than most of the major brands guitars between $100 - $400. And when it comes to starting out or being on a budget you cant go wrong with a peavy vypyr especially since it will help you find the types of sound your looking for before you go out and buy a ton of expensive gear.
wow those douglas guitars are ridiculously cheap thanks a lot i'll tell him to look into that!!
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Well, my friend has a Squier Strat and it's actually fine for playing metal IMO, but he paid $400 for it alone, so I'm assuming an "SE Strat" isn't the same as just a Strat. And I've never seen a Dean Evo before or heard of it, same goes for the Rocketeer(albeit I've never heard of the brand Rogue either)...o_o Hm. I'd probably go with the Rocketeer too, just because it's cheapest, and that Dean Evo thing looks sorta sketchy...
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
Ya the dean is a cheap cheap hollow body and I've only heard mediocre things about, it at best. The Rocketeer seems decent enough, but the Ibanez or LTD package is what I'm going to recommend.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
look used too.

if you have a craigs list, do yourself a favor and look for starter gear, half off.

the two most important things,
that the guitar stays in tune, and that
you do better than a starter set amp.

if you can pick up a $100 guitar, and a microcube, you're ahead of the game.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
If you can save $50 more, or go used, you can do a hell of a lot better than a starter pack.

Quote by Darkdevil725
As a suggestion instead of buying a kit you should check out rondomusic.com
They are very solid guitars such as the Debeo Octanis that is currently on sale for $100 which is mahogany body with set neck and the cheap pups arnt bad for how cheap they are. Then spend another $100 at musiciansfriend.com on a Peavy Vypyr 15.

I have a Douglas Debeo Octanis and I can tell you its better than all of those starter pack guitars and even better than most of the major brands guitars between $100 - $400. And when it comes to starting out or being on a budget you cant go wrong with a peavy vypyr especially since it will help you find the types of sound your looking for before you go out and buy a ton of expensive gear.

Best advice so far. I can back up the statement that guitars from Rondo are amazing. For the same amount, a little more, you'll be getting gear that you won't want to destroy with a flamethrower.

Also, + 1000000 on getting a Peavey Vypyr. It's actually an amp that you won't ever feel the dying urge to get rid of.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Check used.guitarcenter.com . Most all CG's will ship their used guitars for about $15 (some will add sales tax...some don't). I generally find MUCH better deals here than on Ebay or Craigslist. In the last 5 months alone I've bought an Affinity Tele for $59, an Peavey T15 for $69, and a high end Yamaha Pac 921 for $149 (a SICK guitar). If you are unhappy with the guitar you can always return it to your local GC and you are only out the shipping cost.

Here's a pretty solid deal on a guitar that would be a great starter guitar for someone who would like to play metal:

SOLIDBODY ELECTRIC
USED LTD VIPER 100FM BLK 7.5 052210 392
Details » Guitars Guitar Center Edina
Edina, Minnesota 55435
952-929-1680
$99.99

Or this for a very nice all around guitar.....wilkinson trem, HSS, locking tuners....hell I might just buy it for the parts to finish a partscaster I'm woking on...

SOLIDBODY ELECTRIC
USED LAGUNA LE 422 BLK
Details » Guitars Guitar Center Atlanta
Atlanta, Georgia 30329
404-320-7253
$50.00
Quote by PapaKooLay
Whatever you do, DO NOT buy that squier kit. Amp makes my ear bleed, and it can barley play rock and punk let alone metal.

Agreed. Me and my sister bought one (she got the amp, I got the guitar) and its not worth the $200. (Luckily we got it on sale for $100 and I only paid for half.) Go used if he can, he'll get much more bang for his buck. Check out the used gear on MF or GC and some pawn shopping, youll eventually find something decent.
I pride myself on my humility.
a epiphone SG performance pack would be the best option it
will have everything you need its a great pack i bought one and spent about 250 on it you can find them at guitar center
It might be worth going around a few guitar shops and looking at a few value models they have in stock. I bought my no-name strat from my local shop (which mostly has models over £500) for £60. It came extremely well setup, the neck profile is just right, and with a change to the bridge humbucker (to the stock one off my Ibanez) it gets a great tone in all positions. The included single coils were actually better (IMO) then the ones that came in my squier strat, which cost double.

However, it is definitely worth having yourself or another player checking them out, or if it plays really badly, asking the shop to give it a setup. When spending over £200, you are 95%+ likely to get a working one, but it drops off below that.
Gear List:
Ibanez S320
Lavey LV200
Squier Stratocaster Affinity HSS
No-Name Wesley Fat Strat copy
Peavey Rage 158